family trip in May (done!)

How are the trip plans going?? Are you all doin the Lilo and Stitch meal now? I must know!! LOL:rotfl:

We've had "the plague", so things have gone by the wayside for the last days. This plague involves a fever and WEIRD facial pain. Like, pain to the point where I started wondering if I had developed an enormous tumor in my jaw, that kind of massive pain. DH took care of me over his weekend, went to work on Sunday, then when he saw me staggering around on Monday at 5am desperate for an ice pack, he immediately called in for a personal day at work.

Then he came home halfway through Tuesday with a migraine (and I wasn't doing so well at home), but by Wednesday that proved to be the start of HIS plague. Today was his "Friday", but he only worked one day this week. Yikes!

Today DS and I had some issues at the Farmer's Market opening day...got a treat that the guy said had no trigger ingredients, but his behaviour as the day went on seemed to show that the guy had no idea what was in his product, sigh. And it was HOT today...when the market was done, DS refused to believe it, and I got to carry him up a long slope, within a block of our building, when my arm gave out. Then he refused to walk. There were a couple of mechanics on a break watching us and smiling, and when I finally let DS ride on my back, the guys laughed nicely and told DS how lucky he was that "mom" had given in. By the time we got up into the elevator, I was swaying, and when we got to the apartment I had to force him to get off my back and ran to the couch where I nearly passed out.

I think I got a bit overheated!

DH said it sounded like heat exhaustion, but I've never had that before, so I don't know.

Obviously, this was ANOTHER lesson for our upcoming trip, to take it slow, take breaks, eat good foods, and drink LOTS of water.

Tomorrow is going to be hotter, and tomorrow we start the process of moving into the new apartment...I'm very afraid.

OK, after a very long day of TRYING to move a bunch of stuff, then deciding that we will cancel our friend's furniture-moving help tomorrow and just pack pack pack until we leave for SD, then have hired people come in on the 31st to help....I tried to figure out what Eamon wants to do for b'fast.

It got very confusing.

So we're sticking with the princesses. Might as well just go down the list of the b'fasts rather than repeating so early!

Hi Molly - found your trip report from a post with May/June DISers. Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all your advice here on the board. We'll be in DL May 28-31, so it's fun to read your trip report and the tips for baby carrying, Hojo, etc. I hope you feel better very soon and wish you the best on your move. :goodvibes

It is REALLY no fair that this weekend is, like, the hottest EVER in the history of the universe.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

But really, it is hot, especially for this area, and it seems like it came on so suddenly! Yesterday was full of bad moods and moving WAY too slow, and wondering why on earth we don't just get a sitter for Eamon when we move house. He just loves helping so much, it's hard to keep from wanting him around to help (he's so smooshily cute!) but it really really slows us down.

I love how liquor stores give their boxes away for free. And despite the fact that I'm not the biggest fan overall of our car, a boat-like '05 Grand Marquis that I didn't help choose b/c car-shopping stresses me out, the fact that DH put 20 (twenty) boxes of varying sizes in various places in the boat, er, car, while riding along with Eamon in the carseat does make me enjoy it for its extreme roominess! :goodvibes

But back to Disneyland....I mentioned that we're sticking with the princesses. Oh, hubby and the wee one went up to visit the MIL today (I abstain from visiting her b/c she's mean to me and I won't let it go b/c I'm stubborn like that, BUT I do urge them to go often), and MIL generously gave DS a monetary early b'day gift. Isn't that nice of her? It'll be fun to see what DS wants to buy with it at Disneyland and SeaWorld...he was just talking about how he wants Robert to see the swords they sell at SeaWorld (hubby hasn't been there, due to his dad being rushed to hospital during our '06 San Diego visit, and not being with us b/c of work for our Dec '07 visit). Since our main souvenir money is tied up in Disney Gift Cards, I discouraged that. But now, perhaps, he can. Maybe a hat, too, from somewhere. He likes hats that he chooses, and his noggin has grown! MIL would never object to a hat as a present.

For anyone who reads the main Disneyland forum, you know that I just discovered that Star Traders now has a build your own light saber set-up. Guess what I'm keeping from the hubster? Oh he's going to be SO surprised when we go to DL, ride Star Tours, and see that! It's going to be fabulous! Of course, it's also going to be a moment that costs us 40 or even 60 dollars (40 if only the two of them get them, 60 if I lose my mind too, LOL) pre-tax, but it'll be fun! I'll try to have my camera out as we are exiting Star Tours, to catch their expressions.

DH knows that I found out *something* fun, but I'm not telling him. And I tortured him, before telling him I knew something fun had changed (a day apart, and though he's a very smart guy, he doesn't put those sorts of things together), by showing him a picture "from Disneyworld" of that Darth Maul l'saber in the thread I started (hubby doesn't know I started it or that it's in the non-WDW area!). Ooh I'm mean! But also nice, once all is revealed to them.

I want to sit and obsess over plans for our trip! I want to figure out exactly what I want to eat. That's what I want to do!

But if I go to the other room and finish packing the books, then that's pretty much all of our books packed! We have a ton of books, and it's the biggest and heaviest part of any move we make.

After that's done I could do the CDs and most of the DVDs.

And after that I could start pulling out the stuff already in bins or spacebags, things on hangers, and such. And then I could start bringing (with DS's somewhat dubious "help") those bins, clothes, and spacebags over.

But I *want* to obsess!!!!!!! Must figure out cloning ASAP.

Though perhaps I should stop DS from gouging out hunks of cheese using a nutcracker first. How does he think of these things?:confused3

If anyone is reading today, since we've decided that $120 for one day is just silly and we won't be going in for Fantasmic or DEP on the 25th, tell me what all we can do that day! We'll have a car and will have just been in San Diego.

Well, I'm on hold with Disney Dining right now. After learning about the lightsabers, we* felt the need to redistribute our budgeted funds, and blowing nearly $100 on a breakfast where we won't eat almost half (or more) the food available (even if they have veggie patties, it wouldn't likely be soy bacon, sausages, and some version of meatless cold b'fast meats they have out for the omnivores!).

Off hold, canceled the breakfast, and we're going to do a light meal at Blue Bayou. Making a PP even on Memorial Day was very easy! Sounded like they had the whole day open from the way she was talking.

So that's all sorted, and now I have to intersperse bringing things out of closet to the "staging area" with getting all my notes together to put in my binder. :goodvibes

*and when I say "we" I mean "I", because not even hubby knows about the lightsaber surprise

The best part of this news (despite the fact that I'm on a mission to experience the various restaurants and collect the pins they give you at character meals) is that we can get to Disneyland EARLY, and take advantage of it NOT being Magic Morning on Monday! Otherwise we were going to have to avoid Fantasyland or Nemo until Wednesday morning! And that's no fun.

But with the princess b'fast that morning we wouldn't have been able to play in DL, and this opens it up. Which also means a trip to City Hall for a button and maybe that phone call for b'day people, instead of hoping Ariel's would have a button for him.

Of course, it also means the line to meet the princesses again. I think we'll get there as early as it opens this time!

Can't wait to hear all when you get back. You must be excited now. It's almost the Disney Day!:banana:

I'm excited, but also ridiculously freaked out. Remember, I've been trying to pack up the house, and it's NOT going well. Not at all.

I have a feeling we'll come home on the 30th to a basically unpacked house (since hubby keeps taking what I pack over to the new place (which is not a BAD thing, of course)) and we'll have friends or movers over the next day, and I'll be frantically setting things out, putting things in boxes, and/or wrapping random things up in the enormous moving plastic wrap we bought 2 moves ago! :rotfl: As Robert, friends, and/or movers come back up for more loads, I'll throw newly packed items at them and send them on their way.

Oh gosh I hate moving. I think we're going to really enjoy this condo (even though it's mainly retirees and one of the condo by-laws is that everyone has to have an American flag on their balcony (and we're not really all that patriotic so this'll be a first)), but the process is hard. I've said it before...if we had booked with Southwest, we would have canceled the trip, but with Jet Blue's change fees it would be incredibly dingbat-ish to do so ($100 change fee with $119 flights, lol).

But once we're there it'll be good.

My main question for tomorrow will be...will I actually be able to wax my legs? I got some pre-waxed strips of the brand Nad's, and I've never done it before. But I'm tired of the weird bumps caused by my Intuition shaver, so I've been boycotting it, and am going to try to be brave. If you hear screams from afar tomorrow, that's me!

Oh, and to continue the TMI...an underwire broke today. Dangit!

Sorry to any men reading...do Hound and HydroGuy read pre-trips? :scared: :upsidedow

Oh, and I ordered some clothes for the trip, and they arrived. Some new Old Navy tee-shirts and some stuff from Hanes, like new socks! They are the "no show" length, so I'll continue to be styling in my sock'ncroc combo, but the socks will be even shorter this time.

2 of the shirts are a no-go. Just too thin in the fabric and don't make me happy. So either tomorrow or before our flight on Thursday I have to go to the Supermall to exchange the shirts, and I guess I'll have to stop in at the bali outlet as well. Sigh. Well, I needed new "upper underwear" anyway.

I've done no organizing, but lots of packing!

DS has kept himself busy by eating oranges (he just cut a navel orange with a butter knife, what talent!) and drawing ALL over himself. He has a brown "watch" which looks like he has smashed his wrist but somehow isn't swollen, it's just hideous to look at.

But did I mention the Sharpie stripes he put on his cheeks yesterday in order to be a bee? We finally saw Bee Movie and he loves it, and just felt like being a bee. Water on a washcloth got it off, but let me tell you, he did NOT appreciate the process!!!

So we're taking public transport up to the airport, and I get to haul the carseat and such, since we'll have a car in San Diego and Anaheim. But we won't need the seat once we get home, since we're getting him a new one when we get back. The kid is probably a gram away from the limit of the seat, LOL. Well, my sister in law has a sister who is pregnant with her first baby, and I got word through the grapevine that if SIL's sister wanted me to leave the Roundabout at SIL's place, I would. And she said yes! Problem is that means she'll do the lap baby thing on airplanes, but at least I know she will have a quality carseat for the next 3 years (I'll send brother a note when it reaches its expiration date, or better yet plan a trip there so I can destroy the seat at that point) when they visit my brother. I'm even leaving the manual. :goodvibes SIL's sister and I are nearly the same person, it's funny, so it's nice to be able to help her out in some way!

So what should we do? Leave HoJo, grab a muffin (as described by DangerMouse, I believe) and perhaps coffee from Mimi's, walk briskly. Go in to DL, rush to City Hall, if no line grab a button. Rush to Peter Pan, then Dumbo, then Teacups and Carousel. Maybe Toad and Alice if DS feels like it. If we haven't gone to City Hall, backtrack and do that. Have fun, fun, fun, more fun. Maybe get to the PFF early enough that there's barely a line? Get a late breakfast for anyone who is hungry, ooh, perhaps at Tomorrowland Terrace if it's open (such a good value!).

That reminds me, I need to get out the Lexan french press pot, to bring with us. Brother doesn't drink coffee but we do (I delayed my coffee by 6 hours one day during a visit and thought my head was going to explode, it wasn't pretty and we had to make an emergency stop at Starbucks for me...I'm ridiculously addicted), and he doesn't have a coffee pot (shocking).

I'm really wishing we could have taken the train for this trip, sigh. Once DS is older it will be better for that...of course by the time he's older, maybe we'll have another baby (or three, like Eamon told me I would have in the future, last night) and then do we wait for that baby to get older? Augh.

So anyway, late b'fast. Fun fun fun. Pirate's Lair? Make sure E's tummy is full, go to Blue Bayou (after and before riding POTC, of course!). Shared lunch for the adults, and if they did note E's b'day, they said he'd have a complimentary birthday dessert. Robert and I share a cookie boat.

After that would be an excellent time to get back to the hotel! So we'll pretend like we're capable of that (maybe E will just have a stroller nap?) (omg I'm not even there and I'm over-tiring us, what is WRONG with me?!!!!!) and we'll have a nice swim or nap or something.

Get back for Pixar Play Parade? Then hop over for the DL parade?

I know I'm overscheduling myself, it's crazy. But it's just on paper. I'll be fully aware that that day is E's birthday, not MY day, so we'll just try to get in all the special things for him, not necessarily the parades and such that day.

Ooh what fun! I just checked the calendar, and starting on the 22nd:

Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Stone Tiger
10:30am 11:30am 12:30pm 2:15pm 3:15pm 4:15pm 5:15pm

That must be that interactive show thing in Adventureland! fun fun fun!

I keep forgetting that there are fireworks on Monday. No Fantasmic, but fireworks. So that's nice to know. Might be a long day (broken up by a nap and/or swim, I promise!) but since Tuesday is a MM day we'll likely go to DCA first anyway, giving us time to sleep.

Too much to think about, sorry for the rambling!

You are not rambling, lady!! I love your plans...it sounds like you all are ready to go!:thumbsup2

So no spendy character meal for you, eh? I am debating the same thing. I have the Princess Celebration dinner booked...and I am not sure it is worth the cost. DD loves princesses but her plate costs 17.99!:scared1: She's 3!

Anyway, back to you! I am looking forward to hearing (reading) more!popcorn::

I'm relaxing right now. In the last couple hours before DH got home I packed quite a bit! Then after he got home, as he packed up the boat, er, car, I did some more. Though that bit of packing wasn't "packing" per se, but was taking smaller things and using the big roll of plastic wrap we bought from UHaul. Works well for board games, smallish boxes, and even blankets! :rotfl:

I think I'm going to use the same technique for clothing on hangers, rather than a bit pile of clothes, losing hangers here and there, dropping clothes on the ground.

The boys are at the new apartment, putting boxes over there. Ah, peace and quiet.

I swore to myself that I was sitting down to get my notebook together but I still haven't done that. Criminy!

I have to remember the Brother Bear stuff at DCA. We haven't stepped foot in that area! Crazy! DS loves Brother Bear, and loves to run around, so you'd think the combo would be a must do already.

I need to go on about Tomorrowland Terrace breakfast again! I didn't think I was hungry, so we only ordered two platters. They come with a beverage! Since DS doesn't drink anything they have a DL besides water, we just got coffee for the adults. Even without the meat, the b'fasts were really good and filling. When I read about breakfasts at the food courts at WDW, I think of it as though they are TT, and I like that thought.

17.99 for a kid...it's just crazy! I have a very fluid way of defining value, and the princess meal really hits my limits of any definition I can come up with. If DS had balked at nixing the princess meal I would have stuck with it, but he said "OK" immediately when I proposed dropping it, and that dropped the value even more. So if the same money can feed us at Tomorrowland Terrace and Blue Bayou, and maybe even more, and that will allow us more experiences, then that's definitely more value!

Oh boy am I stressed! Robert is trying to calm me down, telling me that we are on schedule, but he's never really been the one to coordinate moves, so I have a little thought..."but what does he know about this?" I'm trying to let him calm me down, though, b/c really, what's the point in worrying? I'm doing as much as I can, taking breaks when needed, so the worrying isn't helping.

We're having a role reversal, basically. :rotfl:

Started packing my carry-on. Eamon was not much help with that!

I have to figure out Jet Blue's procedures next.

Oh my goodness!!!

So much has happened for you since I last checked in on your pre-trip report---you poor thing!!!!! I'm sorry to hear that you were all so ill & isn't it always right when you need health most?!? :confused3

It sounds as if things are super stressful right now, but remember - soon you will be in the Happiest Place on Earth!!! :goodvibes :cool1: :banana:

[And when you get back all the moving things will fall into place! :thumbsup2 ]

Have a great trip!

Have a great time Molly and fam. We will be looking forward to your pic and can't wait to see you in your crocs-with-new-socks! Just a side note about the breakfast thing, I hate paying a ton of cash for breakfast, especially when you are a veggie. I'm just not a breakfast person and would much rather get everyone some protein/carb/fruit combo and head out the door than sit for hours eating a huge, heavy b-fast which later makes you feel you are dragging a semi tire around the park behind you....just my dos pesos...

Well I finally got caught up on your pre-trip report and by the looks of it just in time. I think your flying today right so the vacation is official started, out of the blocks and on the track. I hope you were able to relax a bit before you left. I know moving can be very stressful although it sounds like you are becoming a pro at it.;) And that last plague, I hope you and hubby are fully recovered so you can enjoy your trip. Just remember to not overdue it too much. Happy Birthday E - I hope you enjoy your visit to the house of the mouse. I look forward to hearing all about your adventures when you return!
Have a great time. :banana: :banana: :goodvibes

Posting from San Diego!

Things got SO stressful yesterday, at one point I was sitting on the floor, sobbing my eyes out after yelling at my poor kid. I don't want to get all into stuff here, it's not the place, but as I was talking I realized that yesterday was the anniversary of the start of some really stressful, traumatic stuff that still affects me. Once I realized that, things eased in my head and I was able to finish up.

And then the "fun" began as we walked to take public transport up to the airport. And once we got onto the bus it was all good! But getting to the bus, with my newer soft-sided Rick Steves bag worn as a backpack, Baggalini slung on a shoulder, carry-on Rick Steves bag slung over the other shoulder, and carrying an old soccer-gear style bag (I used to live near a soccer company's outlet) AND carrying and/or pushing the folded stroller that DS (carrying just his little spiderman backpack and Every.Single.Rock. he walked past) refused to sit in.

Oh fun.

Of course, hubby had gone into work that morning carrying HIS Rick Steves bag, the Roundabout in the carseat bag, and a full sized desktop computer (no monitor), b/c a work friend of his wanted to buy the desktop.

It's pouring in San Diego and we didn't go to SeaWorld. :( Maybe it won't rain tomorrow. Sure, there's stuff to see when it rains, but I highly doubt they put on the Pets show when it does, and that is a HUGE part of the fun of our days there.

So now we're trying to figure out what to do, and I'm reacting to my brother's formerly-hypoallergenic cats, while we watch a movie. :upsidedow

Molly, I am feeling your pain! When we travel, I am the designated pack mule. DH usually has to deal with the electronics and DD...but everything else is my problem (including hauling the stroller). I just throw some smaller things into/on the stroller and that helps out a lot!

I am sorry that you had a rough start and I am hoping for no rain today!!:wizard:

Yay, Seaworld!!!!!

There were sprinkles as we left the house (at around noon, b/c my SIL, though I adore her, can't get out of bed to get to fun places early, LOL) but it all cleared up. Hubby continues his myth that he doesn't/can't sunburn, and only put sunscreen on once, and of course is burned. He also seems to have gotten a bit of heat exhaustion, and isn't feeling well.

Eamon had the BEST time, even though he didn't get a seaworld souvenir sword (I think they are themed to the Journey to Atlantis ride) and didn't step foot in the new Bay of Play.

We started with the Pets Rule show (always a joy!), saw the penguins inside and outside of their building, went into the Arctic building (we don't ever sit through the moving ride (E isn't tall enough) or the no-movement watch-a-movie part, we just walk through to see the beasties.

Fed the bat rays, saw the moray eels, and the sharks.

Saw the Shamu Believe show and the dolphin show!

Also had some lunch (avoid the eggplant parmagian at all costs, though the penne with marinara they serve with it is pretty good) and they've increased their kid meal offerings beyond just a hot dog, to that, or cheese pizza with a breadstick, or pasta with marinara and a breadstick. And yet another carrying case thing (he usually gets them b/c my SIL gets the hot dog kid's meal and gives him the case).

And that was pretty much our day, and it was a good one! By the time we got in the car 3/5 of us were about to fall asleep, so it's good we didn't push ourselves to go to the Bay of Play.

E was really good about using his stroller, and we weren't forcing him in it as well. It was especially good for the walk back to the car.

Had to take a few hours' break for dinner and now I'm just going to post this. :)

Tomorrow we're off to Anaheim!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter