Family split between two hotels

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by bebelle, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bebelle

bebelle DIS Veteran

My MIL, nephew, son's girlfriend and I are in a one bedroom at OKW and my DH and DS are in a studio at SSR. We booked OKW and then my DS and his GF decided they did want to come after all. The closest thing we could get was SSR. A little bummed-just a little-I mean it is still Disney. I am concerned about logistics. We are not renting a car but maybe we should. I just hate the added expense of something that seats 6.

Any suggestions to ease my stressing out?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. kiddisney

kiddisney DIS Veteran

this happened to us once - and rather than get a car - we just got a cab when we wanted to meet each other - a couple of times in the morning we just made plans to meet at respective parks - and then one group went back to the other's resort in the evening & when the evening was over - we used the cab - it actually was fun - we were able to enjoy two different resorts on the same trip -

4. cmdg

cmdg Mouseketeer

We are staying at a different resort from my family this year, and while the resorts are a bit closer to each other (WL and Ft Wilderness), I don't think you need to worry.

Plan on taking a cab to one hotel if you want to do bus travel together, or you can just make a time to meet at a park or restaurant. I think OKW and SSR share a bus anyway?

5. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

SSR and OKW are very close together by car. If you wanted to rent a car to make it easier to meet up, you don't need one that will seat 6. Just get a smaller one for DH and DS to drive over to OKW to meet up, and then drive back to SSR. That way you won't have to pay for a larger vehicle.

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

No, they don't share transportation at all. Even the DTD boats don't go to both resorts on the same boat. It's either SSR or OKW.

Are you and your husband DVC members?

7. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

I think I would be more concerned about how you are going to sleep at OKW.

You only have one king bed, one sofa bed and a chair bed and one bathroom.

Is there a reason you have separated your son from his GF. :confused3

As far as the car goes, rent the smallest and cheapest you can get. Everyone but your husband and son can take Magical Express. Let your husband rent and keep the car. That way at least he and your son can drive from SSR over to meet you each day at OKW.

Honestly if you don't have a car, you are going to be stressed.

8. brertoad

brertoad DIS Veteran

I'm guessing it's too late to change reservations...

9. bebelle

bebelle DIS Veteran

Yes, they are teenagers!

10. bebelle

bebelle DIS Veteran

No, we are using DVC Request.

11. Deb & Bill

Then you cannot swim together. You and the guests staying with you at OKW can swim at OKW. Your husband and son can swim at SSR.

Pool hopping is a DVC perk that is not extended to persons who compensate a member for a reservation. Actually none of the DVC perks will be extended to someone who compensates a member for the reservation.

12. imlsherman

imlsherman Mouseketeer

OkW and SSR are very close and walkable it is a 10-15 minute walk. As far as the pool goes I I do not think anybody will even say anything to you if you husband and son come to the OKW to swim. Remember you are on vacation enjoy and don't stress.

13. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

Sorry this is a little OT, but I was curious about this. A few years ago we stayed at OKW with friends who are DVC owners. They rented three separate rooms on points, but there were not enough points to cover the whole week for the one bedroom for my family. I paid OOP for the remaining nights at check-in with my credit card and the room was in my name. Then when we got our KTTW cards, we got the yellow DVC cards with my name and DVC member printed on it and had DVC privileges. How is this different than the OP's situation? Was it because the owner was physically with me at check-in and used points for some of the nights?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

14. Deb & Bill

If you are not the member who made the reservation with Member Services, you are not entitled to any DVC perks. If, however, you are staying with the member on their reservation, you might be extended some perks. That comes straight from DVC Public Offering Statement that is given to all purchasers.

15. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

16. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

I was on a trip once with a group of friends. I stayed at AKV, some stayed at Fort Wilderness in an RV, some stayed at All Star. We managed, we just met at the park we planned each day. With cellphones, it's easy to find each other.

17. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Don't stress those resorts are fairly close to each other. Our family was split between BWI and the cabins. That was crazy. We just met up at the parks and used a taxi a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

18. sharadoc

sharadoc Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving

I've never heard of SSR being sold out - why not just move the whole family from OKW to SSR instead?

Good luck with a teenage GF LOL.