Family of 6 trying to save money while at disney world

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by joshua74133, Sep 9, 2012.

1. joshua74133

joshua74133 Earning My Ears

We have planned a trip in late Jan and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas

I'm planning a few character meals for the kids but in doing so we need to cut back on a few other meals so

Does Pizza Hut deliver to WLV?

Is there any fast food places around the grounds that wont require a rental car?

what are some Recommended food delivery places in orlando that can deliver to WLV?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Piglet99645

Piglet99645 DIS Veteran

Maybe consider having groceries delivered? I'm sure there are threads with suggested grocery lists. Have fun!

4. ToddyLu

ToddyLu Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

:) We-go-shop or Garden Grocer. You can also get a grocery list fromt he VWL store and have them pull groceries for you--they will let you fax a list--probably more expensive than first two options. With a full villa kitchen--this would be your cheapest bet. There are a few places that deliver...you will need to ask.

5. dsneprincess

dsneprincess DIS Veteran

I see a lot of people on boards order from walmart.com & ship to resort. This looks like best option I've seen without rental car.

6. Granny square

Granny square Always planning a trip!

I'd pack non perishables and then have groceries delivered. There is a Hess station across from downtown Disney that has a great price for a decent pizza but you would ha e to go there.

7. gillenkl

gillenkl DIS Veteran

You could walk or take the boat to Fort Wilderness for their carryout menu: whole pizza-$14 and a bucket of chicken with 2 sides- $23. There are picnic tables to eat on.

8. hfuellgraf

hfuellgraf DisneyMOM

We do a late breakfast, snack and then dinner...Seems to be plenty of food. You can pack PJ sandwiches, drinks, snacks etc. Ceral and things in your room. Good Luck

9. *Seanaci*

*Seanaci* DIS-obsessed and proud!

We used Garden Grocer on our trip in 2008. And will def be using them again on a future trip. Ordered breakfast foods, half a gallon of milk (DS was 14 months at the time and was the only one to drink it), toiletries, and snacks.

10. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You have a full kitchen in a two bedroom villa at VWL. Why not just cook a few meals?

11. kimnvbva

kimnvbva Mouseketeer

I've heard good things about garden grocer. You can plan a couple of dinners. We brought some things for breakfast. You can always packs cereal boxes and buy a gallon of milk at the general store. We brought pop tarts and protein bars and the kids ate while we got dressed. We also packed snack crackers and trail mix to bring to the parks so we didn't have to spend a ton on snacks. We also brought our own water bottles and kept refilling them throughout the day.

12. joshua74133

joshua74133 Earning My Ears

thanks everyone... i think we will cook in the room

13. blessedby3

blessedby3 Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my userna

We ordered pizza from Giordanos when we stayed at BLT. It was delicious. We have also ordered from Pizza Hut and Papa Johns at other resorts. It is a cheap dinner for us:) We have also ordered groceries from garden grocer twice. They were very easy to work with. Others have used wegoshop.

14. snowcupid

snowcupid Mouseketeer

We bring a ton of snacks - granola bars, rice crispy treats and so on in our luggage. The CBR has a little gift shop that sells some grocery items. Last time we bought a package of doughnuts for around $3 and ate that for breakfast one morning.

15. DisneyRegulars

DisneyRegulars DIS Veteran

You can make it easy on yourself by 'cooking' frozen lasagna or other premade frozen meals that your family enjoys. Think of things that you would see in the parks that you would want your own version of: french fries, digiorno pizza, chicken nuggets. I know when I was a kid I thought TV dinners were amazing, they could provide a cheap dinner alternative and would be easy to prepare.

We save a lot of money by eating breakfast and lunch (sandwhiches) in the room and then getting counter service for dinner when we are back in the parks.

16. Madzac

Madzac DIS Veteran

We are also a family of 6. We are staying offsite in a 6 bdrm house for less than the cost of two rooms at a value to help save. We will be doing breakfast everyday in our house, and a couple of dinners. I have already placed an order with garden grocer and found the prices very reasonable. We will share CS meals for most meals as it tends to be a ton of food. We have two special character meals planned one as a late breakfast, which will allow us to skip lunch and one as an early dinner which will be the same. I also always pack a pack of snacks each day that the kids munch on during parades and such in addition to some bottled water. All of theses things really help! :)

Have fun! WL is gorgeous, we stayed there last time before there were 6 of us in a regular room! So pretty!

17. kohlby

kohlby DIS Veteran

Agree - eat in the room! We drive down so we take some food with us. (Though I've heard Garden Grocer is great for deliveries for those without a car). We always eat our breakfast in the room. It's cheap that way - and so much more relaxing with young kids! We take some snacks into the parks too.

18. dealia

dealia Earning My Ears

Ok. I ship non perishables (snacks,pop tarts, pringles) and liquids (shampoo ect.) to my hotel. It is cheaper than checking a bag. I then order water, milk, beer, ect. from garden grocer. We eat in the room most of the time for breakfast. I have a small back pack cooler. I bring a sandwich on a roll, A fruit and a water (partly frozen) for each of us. This allows us to get treats with out dropping all our $ on lunches. Then if we have a car sometimes we eat outside of the world for dinner at a nice reasturant like Bahama Breeze or Joe's Crab Shack ect.. But, we always go to Chef Mickey's once. Also if you don't mind the taste of the water there you can get free ice water in a cup at the quick service counters.