Family of 4 and three Beds what are the options?

jasonflk

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I'm getting close to booking my flights only 21 day until I can do that, for my trip in Jan 2014.

So I'm starting to think about rooms and where to stay. The family have decided to stay on site and we need to decide where. We plan to spend most of our time in the parks so we are looking at the value resorts.

Our conditions are that we need a seperate bed for the kids DD10 DS12 and a bed for DW and myself.

I have looked at getting two rooms and asking for connecting door as an option and I also notice some of the delux resorts have Bunkbeds in the room.

What are my options? and do you have any suggestions?

Personally I'd go with the bunk beds..... We had a bunk bed room at WL once, and it was just the wife and I and we tried them....not too bad...

WL is a deluxe resort but not as high priced as all the others.... Suites and getting 2 rooms is a huge waste of money.... Go for a resort with the bunk beds... You won't regret it!

If you want to stay in one value room, just bring along an air mattress, and have the kids take turns sleeping on it. However you and your DW will be sharing a double bed. If you upgrade to a moderate resort you will then get queen sized beds, except at CBR which still has double beds.

We are traveling similarly, where I am paying for the room and my friend and her two teenagers are coming along. We are staying at POR.

I get one bed; she and her daughter are sharing the second bed (both queens) and we are shipping down a twin air mattress for her son.

We plan on leaning it up against the wall in the closet when not in use during the day and early evening and just setting it up when we need it.

Both WL and AKL offer a choice of bunk bed rooms. I've slept in one of the bunkbeds and know it would be fine for a 10-12 year old.

I've got the exact same need and here's what I've come up with as onsite options without having to book 2 rooms but having a guarantee of getting 3 beds.
AoA suites
ASMu family suites
Cabin at FW
WL bunk bed room
AKL bunk bed room
CR
Poly
GF
AKV 1br or 2br
BLT 1br or 2br
OKW 1br or 2br
any other DVC 2br

There's also always the option of packing an air mattress and booking any room anywhere.

ETA: I think that the deluxe rooms at BWI and BC also have a 3rd bed but I'm not positive.

We are also a family of 4 who needs 3 beds in disney. Price out a wing room at CR. They should have 2 queens and a pull-out sofa. Not sure if all rooms have a pull-out or if u need to request it. The wing room should cost significantly less than staying in the tower. You would be able to walk back and forth to MK.

Also, we have stayed at BC, YC, and BWI (all epcot resorts) and have always had a room with 2 queens and pull-out sofa. Again, you may need to make that a request. From those resorts you could walk to epcot and walk or boat to HS.

We have had a bunk bed room at WL and enjoyed it very much, though the room seemed really small to us but it didn't bother us. Nice resort and easy boat ride to MK.

We have stayed at AKL but didn't love the location. Nice resort tho.

We needed 3 beds too so we've decided to try the AS Music suites. We also wanted 2 bathrooms to make getting ready easier in the mornings.

Our kids are older than yours (17 year old is 6 ft tall) so they wouldn't fit on a bunk bed in WL.
We figured they could fit on the pull out couch for my DS and DD13 can be on the pull out chair.

I'm just hoping I can sleep on a queen bed with my bed hogging husband since there won't be a couch for me to retreat to since one of my kids will be sleeping on it. LOL

I'm just hoping I can sleep on a queen bed with my bed hogging husband since there won't be a couch for me to retreat to since one of my kids will be sleeping on it. LOL

If you get really desperate the ottoman folds out into a small bed too. Not sure how big it is....:p

...I have looked at getting two rooms and asking for connecting door as an option and I also notice some of the delux resorts have Bunkbeds in the room.

WDW will not guarantee connecting rooms, or even adjacent rooms (next door), or even that they will be near each other. Most of the time the request is granted, but it is not a guarantee so unless you are willing to accept a Plan B (splitting up for separate rooms), I'd go with an option that you KNOW will provide 3 beds.

Enjoy your vacation!

We have boy/girl twins and have stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk and Poly, which offered the daybed. We also stayed at Wilderness and Animal Kingdom and had the bunk beds but I will tell you that by age 12 the bunk beds were too small for our kids. Our kids are short so mostly the issue was the child on the top couldn't sit up on the top bunk. As someone else mentioned it also limits seating space since you can't sit on the lower bunk either.
This June we are trying POR with the murphy bed. We booked a preferred room to insure we get the third bed. I am really hoping the kids will like it. Good Luck!
Elizabeth

I've got the exact same need and here's what I've come up with as onsite options without having to book 2 rooms but having a guarantee of getting 3 beds.
AoA suites
ASMu family suites
Cabin at FW
WL bunk bed room
AKL bunk bed room
CR
Poly
GF
AKV 1br or 2br
BLT 1br or 2br
OKW 1br or 2br
any other DVC 2br

There's also always the option of packing an air mattress and booking any room anywhere.

ETA: I think that the deluxe rooms at BWI and BC also have a 3rd bed but I'm not positive.

All rooms at BWI have a daybed. Not sure about YC but know that not all BC rooms do.

Another option would be to book a preferred room at POR which are all in the AB section that have 2 queens and a small murphy bed that might be big enough for the 10 year old. I haven't been since they updated the rooms and seen the new murphy bed.

We have boy/girl twins and have stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk and Poly, which offered the daybed. We also stayed at Wilderness and Animal Kingdom and had the bunk beds but I will tell you that by age 12 the bunk beds were too small for our kids. Our kids are short so mostly the issue was the child on the top couldn't sit up on the top bunk. As someone else mentioned it also limits seating space since you can't sit on the lower bunk either.
This June we are trying POR with the murphy bed. We booked a preferred room to insure we get the third bed. I am really hoping the kids will like it. Good Luck!
Elizabeth

Do you mean the trundle bed? I thought they didn't guarantee that? I could be wrong as I have never stayed there but I thought I read some posts of families of 4 that were not given the trundle bed and were told families of 5 have precedence of those?

If you want to keep the price down and you don't plan on being in the room much, you could just book one value room, for example at POP.
We stayed at POP when DS was 10. We rented a roll away bed for DS, and DH and I each took a double bed.
Would you and your DH be comfortable sharing a double bed? I guess that would be the deciding factor. DS said the roll away was comfy and he was so happy to have his own bed.

Enjoy your trip!

you get Alligator Bayou buildings 14, 18 15 and maybe another building. They have just renovated the rooms to include two queen beds and used a murphy bed instead of the trundle bed. The murphy bed is recommended for children under 10 but I have read that teens and adults have used it comfortably. My 14 DD is only the size of a 10 y.o. so I am sure she will fit.
This was the only way I could guaranty a third bed.
Elizabeth

you get Alligator Bayou buildings 14, 18 15 and maybe another building. They have just renovated the rooms to include two queen beds and used a murphy bed instead of the trundle bed. The murphy bed is recommended for children under 10 but I have read that teens and adults have used it comfortably. My 14 DD is only the size of a 10 y.o. so I am sure she will fit.
This was the only way I could guaranty a third bed.
Elizabeth

Great tip. Did not know that. Thanks.

Many thanks for all the pointers and tips, I only went away for a few hours and it went to two pages!

We are doing Disney a bit on a budget but had budgeted two AoA standard rooms, I understand there is no guarantee in getting a connecting door and will plan if we don't get it if we go down that route.

The air mattresses sound like a great idea but for us we are travelling internationally into Florida so organising them might be a bit more of an issue but not impossible.

However I am interested in the Murphy beds at POR especially if we can "Guarantee" them.

I'm also interested in this
We rented a roll away bed for DS,

How and where do you rent them from are they an option from Disney if so how much or where can i find more details about them?

Again many thanks for all your help it is appreciated.

Would it be out of the question for you to sleep in the same bed as DS and your wife to sleep in the same bed as DD? I am female and have a brother 2 years younger and a sister 4 years younger. Some hotels around the country allowed a roll away bed (not sure if they still do). My brother would sleep in the same bed as my dad, I would sleep with my mom, and my sister would sleep in the roll-away.

I know that's not necessarily an ideal situation for the parents...but it's only for a couple of days. It made the difference between us being able to do vacations and not, so we made do. It wasn't that bad (except my mom snores, lol).

Disney won't guarantee connecting rooms, so you HAVE to book a room that has 3 sleeping surfaces to be guaranteed the situation you desire. That can get kind of pricey. I wouldn't stick either of your kids on the murphy bed at POR...they'll likely be too big for it at their ages. This means you either have to book a suite or a deluxe resort. If that's in your price range, by all means, go for it!

We simple ask for an extra roll-away bed at POR ( if we didn't have the Trundle/murphy bed ) and CSR, hasn't ever been a problem, works well, no need for 2 rooms for 4 people

We stayed at POP when DS was 10. We rented a roll away bed for DS, and DH and I each took a double bed.

I'm also interested in this...
How and where do you rent them from are they an option from Disney if so how much or where can i find more details about them?

We simple ask for an extra roll-away bed at POR ( if we didn't have the Trundle/murphy bed ) and CSR, hasn't ever been a problem, works well, no need for 2 rooms for 4 people

We just asked for a roll away bed at check-in at POP, and they brought it right to the room. When we stayed (4 years ago), the price was $15/night. You could call or email the resort to ask for current pricing. I would think it would be similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!