Family Fun Run 5K Questions

DHSsenior007

DIS Veteran
Hello! I know I am asking very early, but my husband and I just signed up for the 5K in January :-)cool1: yay!) and I had a few questions about the logistics and just what to expect.

First- what would you recommend bringing? We will be staying onsite (BWV) and my family will be with us, so I don't expect to need to bring a room key. What about a camera? I know there are meet & greets along the track and then afterwards, so it would be nice to capture those moments! If you would recommend bringing stuff, how should it be carried so it stays safe?

How many meet-&-greets are there along the course? Do you like to stop/is it worth stopping or do you just want til the end for the finish line entertainment/character greets?

And on that note, how long would you plan on sticking around at the end. It is just my husband and I for sure (not sure how many of the rest of my family will be present). Are there a lot of characters to see and other things to do?

And finally- what should we expect when we arrive? We'll obviously be taking the Disney bus to the race but how chaotic is it when we get there?

Thanks! :)

Hello! I know I am asking very early, but my husband and I just signed up for the 5K in January :-)cool1: yay!) and I had a few questions about the logistics and just what to expect.

First- what would you recommend bringing? We will be staying onsite (BWV) and my family will be with us, so I don't expect to need to bring a room key. What about a camera? I know there are meet & greets along the track and then afterwards, so it would be nice to capture those moments! If you would recommend bringing stuff, how should it be carried so it stays safe?

How many meet-&-greets are there along the course? Do you like to stop/is it worth stopping or do you just want til the end for the finish line entertainment/character greets?

And on that note, how long would you plan on sticking around at the end. It is just my husband and I for sure (not sure how many of the rest of my family will be present). Are there a lot of characters to see and other things to do?

And finally- what should we expect when we arrive? We'll obviously be taking the Disney bus to the race but how chaotic is it when we get there?

Thanks! :)

Nice resort you are staying in btw. YES bring a camera!!!! I actually brought my Canon camera complete with big ole lens! It isn't a camera I would ever take on any race only this one.
There were quite a few charactor stops if I recall. In fact, when you arrive at the meeting area...Minnie and Mickey Mouse are there and if you get there early enough as I did, you wont have to wait in line to get your photo with them...your photo with your own camera.
This is a race where it is worth stopping. However depending on the characters will depend on the line. Goofy had a terribly long line.
No it is not chaotic at all. Very organized.
Bring your camera. Wear a costume. Take photos of other runners because if you are in a costume THEY WILL ASK to take your photo! I was dressed as a cross between Tinkerbelle and Peter Pan. I wanted to be PP but wore sparkle which made it TBish.
I walked this fun run. Some run it. Others stroll. It is very relaxed and you walk around Epcot.
I believe next year it might be timed though, not sure because it is incorporated into the Dopey race.

Thanks for the info! Quite impressive that you brought your Canon with you. I just have a point-and-shoot so it would be a bit easier to carry around. What time did you arrive at the race? I saw from last year the latest you should arrive was 5:45, but do you feel it is worth it to get there earlier? A costume definitely sounds like a fun idea- see what I can convince my DH to do with me haha!

Hi there. Congrats on signing up for the Family 5K. WARNING: These races are addicting and you will get bit by the Run Disney bug if you've haven't already.

Just some tips:

1. DEFINITELY bring a camera. I bring something small, because I do like to run. The first mile you won't see any charachters. It wont be till you enter Epcot. The first mile is all parking lot. There will be official photographers with each character and you can buy those photos on the race website, but they are kind of pricey. i just bought the entire cd of our last Disney race and it was about $50.

2. It may be chilly in the morning when you are up at 5 am, but you will get warm real quick. Dress accordinly. And yes costumes are always enjoyed!

3. Breakfast will not be served at your resort, so make sure you bring some bagels, oatmeal or something you can eat quick before you get on the bus. they will provide you with bananas and a snack box after the race.

4. The Disney 5K's are one of my favorite races, I just have so much to say about them, but I will offer up these links so you can read about the ones we did during the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. Let me know what you think or if you have any other questions. I would be thrilled to help answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Disney Royal Family 5K 2013http://http://fairytalesandfitness.blogspot.com/2013/04/disney-princess-half-marathon-weekend_3.html

Disney Royal Family 5K 2012
http://fairytalesandfitness.blogspot.com/2013/03/disney-princess-half-marathon-weekend_23.html

Disney Royal Family 5K 2011 ( Our first Disney Race!)
http://http://fairytalesandfitness.blogspot.com/2013/03/disney-princess-half-marathon-weekend.html

Thanks for the info! Quite impressive that you brought your Canon with you. I just have a point-and-shoot so it would be a bit easier to carry around. What time did you arrive at the race? I saw from last year the latest you should arrive was 5:45, but do you feel it is worth it to get there earlier? A costume definitely sounds like a fun idea- see what I can convince my DH to do with me haha!

You don't need to get there early however what I found out was that Mickey and Minnie will be there. If you are there early enough you can walk right up and take a photo with them. Because its before the race begins, there are no pro photographers there so you would use your own. Once the buses come in, then the line for the photo op gets longer and longer and longer!

Yes it can be cold. I think this year it was unusally warm though. You might feel a bit weird dressing in a costume at 330 in the morning. You might be the only ones on the bus wearing a costume and feel weird. However many ppl do wear costumes. I have seen full blown gown Cinderella and Snow Whites at the 5k. I even saw Miss Piggy in a long flowing purper gown. I must upload some of my photos for you to see.

I didn't mind lugging my camera around because I knew I was walking it with others. If I were doing anything but walking (slow) I would never have brought that camera. Having said that...yes a camera is a must! If not for the charactors but the many runners in unique costumes. You will be amazed and amused.

Merandab4: thanks for those links and all that info! I will definitely plan on bringing my little point-and-shoot then. It has a wrist strap so I won’t be too afraid of it getting hurt as we do plan on running. I know the weather will be a crapshoot that time of year (I’m from Texas where it was 40 degrees this morning!) so we will be prepared for anything. We are definitely planning on eating a light breakfast beforehand (cereal) and then will be celebrating with my family afterwards at Kona Café. Actually that’s how I got him to agree to the 5K- the allure of tonga toast! I have those links pulled up and will let you know if I have questions!

Goofeygirl: Guess we’ll just see how early I can get my husband out of bed and get us to the bus stop. I would love to see some of those photos of past costumes—the Miss Piggy one sounds awesome!

We are definitely planning on eating a light breakfast beforehand (cereal) and then will be celebrating with my family afterwards at Kona Café. Actually that’s how I got him to agree to the 5K- the allure of tonga toast!

I had to laugh because that is EXACTLY what we did this past year. After the race we took the bus to the Poly and ate at Kona Cafe!

My daughter has just suggested we do this so it's great to read about peoples experiences. I have never run in my life (apart from at school) so I see this as a fantastic incentive. We won't arrive until Friday morning and will still be on UK time so at least it won't seem very early for us!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter