Family coming to our pool for a few hours at Poly

OP, unless you want to risk the possibility of being embarrassed at the pool in front of your family; do not just show up at the pool. ASK! before hand or add them to your room as all the PPs have stated. The CMs can and have sent people away from pools, who do not belong there.
As for the extra MBs, when you add them to your room use a middle/alternate name and have them only for use those MBs when you go to the pool.

If the parents are going to be going out anyway, then why don't you just take the kids back to the All Stars, and let them go swimming there. No problems with bands, and you're good to go...

OP, unless you want to risk the possibility of being embarrassed at the pool in front of your family; do not just show up at the pool. ASK! before hand or add them to your room as all the PPs have stated. The CMs can and have sent people away from pools, who do not belong there.
As for the extra MBs, when you add them to your room use a middle/alternate name and have them only for use those MBs when you go to the pool.
Since the parents are staying on property at another Disney resort, the All Star, if they don't use a middle name, I would think that all of their MB's will get "messed up" from the All Star.:scared1: Guess that this is also the case if the parents were staying at the Swan or Dolphin.:confused3 I would think that it wouldn't be an issue if the parents were staying "offsite", but the guests would have to be added BEFORE checking in. I believe I read that it used to be the policy of adding guests to the room at check in, but the policy has changed. :goodvibes

This is from Tikiman's website:

Rules state that the pools are exclusively for Polynesian guests only. To gain access to the pool area you have to scan your Magic Band with a Polynesian Resort Reservation on it. Access will be allowed the entire day of check in and check out. Both pools will be for Hotel and Disney Vacation Club guests but Disney Vacation Club pool hopping will not be allowed at either of the Polynesian pools.

We all know that pool hopping for DVC members is not allowed at the Poly anymore. And there has been lots of discussion on the Tikiman FB about people trying to get into the pool without being a guest and that guests should not let anyone follow them in. Even the life guards are keeping guests that just checked into the Poly from entering the pool, before their room is ready. However, the front desk can give guests a separate card for pool privileges until they are able to scan their MB to the room door. It is definitely becoming contentious. I think it would be best just to go to the other family's pool. Although some of the value resort's pools are being gated as well.

So at check in before room is ready do guests have to ask for separate card for entrance into the Poly pool or do the front desk CM'S automatically inform guests that MB will not work until room is ready and assigned?:goodvibes Thanks!:goodvibes

This is from the DVC website on Pool hopping, I know that you are not "pool Hopping" per say but by having family who are not staying with you and who are not DVC members this would be just like pool hopping.

Pool hopping is not available at Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts, the leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas, the Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort and the pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort. There are no exceptions to this policy.

We've never had issues allowing q couple of people visiting us to swim with us at the poly,
Life guards have always been fine about it, as long as they know it's just for a few hours it's never caused an issue.
They also don't actually expect every member of the party to have a MB on, they told us plenty of times,that just one member needed a band for access to tue pool.
They understand not everyone wants there bands on while swimming!

We've never had issues allowing q couple of people visiting us to swim with us at the poly,
Life guards have always been fine about it, as long as they know it's just for a few hours it's never caused an issue.
They also don't actually expect every member of the party to have a MB on, they told us plenty of times,that just one member needed a band for access to tue pool.
They understand not everyone wants there bands on while swimming!
I believe the poly pool was gated as part of the recent construction. Magic bands are required for access now.

I believe the poly pool was gated as part of the recent construction. Magic bands are required for access now.

Last trip we were at BLT and I was going to refill a mug by the pool. There is a gate on the far side of the pool, closest to snack bar. I was about 2 ft behind a CM and she went thru the gate and pulled it close and said "sorry" and kept walking. I had my band so no issues getting in, but if you could see me, you'd hardly think I was hiding behind bushes just waiting for the chance to slip in. I thought it was a little unnecessary.

Last trip we were at BLT and I was going to refill a mug by the pool. There is a gate on the far side of the pool, closest to snack bar. I was about 2 ft behind a CM and she went thru the gate and pulled it close and said "sorry" and kept walking. I had my band so no issues getting in, but if you could see me, you'd hardly think I was hiding behind bushes just waiting for the chance to slip in. I thought it was a little unnecessary.

A more guest friendly thing to do would be to hold the gate and ask you to tap the MB to show access. It is polite but checks.

Seems like you could just wear your MBs, and have the grandkids not wear theirs. Unless the pool is super crowded, I think it would work out.

I guess I am in the minority, but I don't understand why it is okay to bring non-guests to your resort to enjoy a restricted pool, even if it is grandkids? If they are listed on the reservation then it would fine. Just think if every guest at the resort thought it was fine to bring friends to their pool then the pool would soon be overcrowded. The guests staying at the Poly pay extra points to stay there and use the amenities, their friends or family do not.

I guess I am in the minority, but I don't understand why it is okay to bring non-guests to your resort to enjoy a restricted pool, even if it is grandkids? If they are listed on the reservation then it would fine. Just think if every guest at the resort thought it was fine to bring friends to their pool then the pool would soon be overcrowded. The guests staying at the Poly pay extra points to stay there and use the amenities, their friends or family do not.
Overcrowding is a problem at the "in demand" pools certainly. Why does Stormalong Bay for example have lifeguards checking identity of guests and magic bands? The answer is obvious because they need to because it is an "in demand" pool, just like the Poly, Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom Kidani and Jambo, Hilton Head's beach pool and the list goes on and on. MANY guests pay points or who pay out of pocket at these resorts feel that they are paying high prices to use a resort who's pool is not overrun by non guests.:scared1: IMO, ALL Disney pools, Value, Moderate, Deluxe should take extra measures to have the resort pools restricted to only those staying there. Not many of us want to "stand around" waiting to use a lounger which is occupied by by non guests.:sad2: :faint:

No, you aren't in the minority. Most of us have giving suggestions to avoid this behavior and explained why the desired result is not going to work. But there will always be a few people who share their experience breaking the rules.

Overcrowding at the Poly pool is definitely an issue. Due to construction and renovation, there is no quiet pool. The only option is the main pool. Who knows when the second pool will open? It isn't even a hole in the ground at the moment, just a huge walled off mess

I think under the circumstances the lifeguards have every right to be extra vigilant with making sure access to the Poly pool is limited to only Poly guests.

Overcrowding at the Poly pool is definitely an issue. Due to construction and renovation, there is no quiet pool. The only option is the main pool. Who knows when the second pool will open? It isn't even a hole in the ground at the moment, just a huge walled off mess

I think under the circumstances the lifeguards have every right to be extra vigilant with making sure access to the Poly pool is limited to only Poly guests.
IMO they have not only the right but the responsibiltiy to be vigilant for ALL pools. One of the problems is that whether to allow it or not is a management decision, not a lifeguard decision. Where the lifegards allow it or not depends on what direction they have from management at the resort. They should have been told one of 2 things, either to never allow it or to do so only when it's not esp crowded. There's no way to prevent it completely but it can be minimized with effort. Difficult to do at a pool that's not gated though. Dishonest and entitled people will often find a way to get in regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter