Falmouth, Jamaica

sarah_carter

DIS Veteran
I am looking at this excursion Falmouth Heritage Walking Tour.

My question is, is it worth the money or can we see the sites on our own. First time to Falmouth and first time on RCL.

Thank you

While waiting for a dis'er to know the answer, I highly recommend peeking at the ports of call board on the cruisecritic.com message boards. Find the one for Falmouth and I bet someone will have talked about it there at some point! Terrific resource.

The area outside of the port at Falmouth is not as built up as some of the other port areas around Jamaica. In other words, it's not the type of place I would personally stray too far from the port on my own.

I agree with the last post. It was the first port in 13 DCL, 2 Royal and 1 NCL cruises where we did not feel like it would be a good idea to leave the immediate port area on our own, and wished we had booked an excursion. Once in the port area, there are a few you could try to book. We tried to book a train ride, but the soonest available was too long from that time, so we did not leave. That being said, it is probably the most beautiful immediate port area I've ever seen, very new, clean and friendly. Sounds like some of the excursions one can book would be pretty great though, and if I ever get back to Falmouth, I would book an excursion.

I would not recommend leaving the port area unless you are part of a guided tour/excursion. I was in Jamaica fall of 2011 when the port was built and ventured into the area immediately outside of the gated area. Did not feel very safe tho did speak with others who did the walking tour and had no trouble. I took a tour in Jamaica two weeks ago, and the area outside of the gate looked the same - very run down. I have heard (from the Jamaican tour operators) that you had to be careful as the locals will try to get you to buy their items.

I would not venture too far outside of any Jamaican port unless on a scheduled tour. This is nothing new. The last time we felt comfortable just walking around unattended in Jamaica was in Kingston in 1981. Every time we've been back since, the comfort zone around the ports has shrunk. When Kingston started to go downhill, and the ships moved to Montego Bay and Ocho Rios - the ganji peddlers and panhandlers followed soon behind. When Falmouth was built, it only took them a few weeks to show up outside the gates.

I most definitely would not leave the Falmouth port unless I was on a bus on my way somewhere. People were not very friendly in general and I don't have a huge desire to go there again. We had a good time at Doctor's Cave beach club but it was an ordeal to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter