Falmouth, Jamaica Excursions...What did you do?

Reddaisy

Earning My Ears
We are only interesting in booking an excursion through DCL. What excursions have you done in Falmouth, Jamaica? What did you like/dislike about your excursion?

Thanks for your help! :cool1:

Did the Greenwood House tour. The house--tho somewhat rundown--was very interesting. The "tour" of the oldest church is nothing but a tourist trap--it isn't even open to look inside. We didn't even exit the van.

Should add that outside the main dock shopping area (which is fenced in) is a rather "unsavory" area to say the least. Felt fairly safe in our van, tho lots of cold stares from the various people as we rode by.

Would recommend the tour if the Browning Family history is of interest-and also the stunning view from the house verandah.

To add that we took this tour just a few weeks ago--

Did the Hope Plantation tour. That was nice and interesting history of the area.

We went to Dunn's River Falls and climbed the waterfall. My kids loved it, but it is a fairly active excursion and definitely not for everybody.

After reading lots of both Disboard and Cruise Critic reviews about the excursions, we opted for the ultimate of laziness non-excursion that still got us off the ship...we explored the shops around the "secure" dock complex in the morning then wandered over to Margaritaville early enough to snag two loungers by their pool and swim up bar in partial shade. Spent a wonderful couple hours there nursing drinks, ordering appetizers, swimming, reading, and using their free w-fi to catch up on (non-work) emails and post some Facebook pictures. There's no cover charge and no minimum order charge and there were pool games and karaoke games for kids, and our giant refillable souvenir boat drink glasses, appetizers, and the photo we bought from a pool photographer made our entire "excursion" cost under $50. Bought a bottle of rum cream in one of the many shops it was available in to take back with us. This was a year ago before the alcohol policy change, so once back onboard, DH and I and our cruise buddies filled up our huge DVC member giveaway mugs with soft ice cream from the upper deck, brought them back to our stateroom and then made rum cream sundaes out them. Next trip to Falmouth we'll have to just wait til after the cruise for our rum cream. Normally we are way more adventurous in ports, but the reviews of Falmouth just didn't inspire us to venture out. It's an option.

Yeah--Falmouth has --at least--the look of an unsavory port once outside the fenced in safe area.

I had a couple of Red Stripes myself at that Margaretaville!!!

We stopped at Falmouth on our cruise in October. We did the Dunn's River Falls excursion. It was great even though it was a little challenging!

At the port, we boarded a bus for Ocho Rios. Once we got there, we boarded a catamaran and headed to the falls. We stopped along the way to snorkel for about a half hour. When we arrived at the falls, the boat docked at the beach and we split into groups to climb the falls. As I said the climb was challenging, but a lot of fun! The scenery was beautiful! It was lush and jungle-like. We climbed from the beach to the top of the falls. Climbing was a little slippery and treacherous at times, but our guide told us where to step and kept an eye on us. We stopped along the way to slide down a rock, take the "Nestea" plunge, and get a waterfall massage. The only drawback was the crowds of people also climbing the falls. There were probably 10 other groups climbing at the same time. However, they didn't really get in our way.

My DH and I are glad we did this excursion before we got too old to handle climbing over rocks in rushing water. When we got back on the catamaran, the crew served us rum punch, beer, and water. We partied all the way back to Ocho Rios.

If you are looking for an active adventure that kids can do, I recommend Dunn's River Falls!

Gayl

We did the Green Grotto and beach excursion. The caves were interesting but VERY hot and humid. The beach was nice and the lunch was good. Not much shopping on this one which was fine with me.

We are only interesting in booking an excursion through DCL. What excursions have you done in Falmouth, Jamaica? What did you like/dislike about your excursion?

Thanks for your help! :cool1:

We did Dolphin Cove and Dunn's River Falls last year and thought both were among the highlights of the cruise. Last week, we did the rafting on the Martha Brae and all 3 generations liked it a lot. It was very peaceful and scenic. If you are mobile and want to spend a full day, I'd go for Dolphin Dove and/or Dunn's River Falls, but the rafting is perfect if some members of your party don't walk well. In addition, we wanted to spend more time on the ship this year so we opted for half day excursions. One important note about the rafting, which I was prepared for after reading reviews on another site, is that the captains will try to sell you some calabas(?) carvings and that they tend to get upset if you decline to buy them. Our party was split between 3 rafts and the group that declined to buy said that their captain didn't talk to them after that. The two other captains were very happy to get $25 each, which I considered a reasonable tip.

,we did the Chukka beach break, followed by a stroll around the shops and a visit to Margaritaville. This is right by where the ship docks in the fenced off area.

Bought a bottle of rum cream in one of the many shops it was available in to take back with us.
Love the rum cream!!!! Going to buy some more the next time we visit Falmouth.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter