facebook during political season

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by monarchs21, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

The one thing that drives me crazy is when people are flat out ignorant and rude. Someone I know posted about "how it shows how messed up and stupid the one party is because a certain train wreck of a tv show posted better ratings than a political show. "

If you make a respectful post, stating useful facts, I may read it. Once you start name calling, etc you look like a fool.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pixiedust34

Pixiedust34 <font color=blue>It's like I'm stuck in a music ti

It seems particularly nasty for this election, and I think it'll only get worse before Nov. comes. Both sides have been nasty.

I ended up blocking (not unfriending) a couple of people who were posting ALL THE TIME about politics and it was eating up my newsfeed and raising my blood pressure. I'll unblock after the elections, but if it's still All Politics All The Time, I may block again.

There are probably people that think I post too much about Disney, but at least it's happy stuff and not mud-slinging. They have blocking power if they Mickey Overdose reading my statuses. ::MickeyMo

4. mickeysgal

mickeysgal <font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc

So far I haven't minded the political commentary I've seen on my Facebook feed so far. I know everyone doesn't think like me and I respect my friends and families varying views. That's how you get perspective - by listening to other's view points. I would never use their political views as a reason to defriend someone - or even hide someone's posts. Granted, not everything posted is 100% true and some people are quick to assume everything they read is true. :rolleyes2

Political commentary is only intense for a short period of time then I get the pleasure of seeing for the rest of the year, the very annoying gaming statuses, the unending sappy statuses about how wonderful people's children are, how lovey-dovey their husband is, raunchy/over the line jokes, etc. Now THAT annoys me.

5. EMHDad

EMHDad DIS Veteran

lol, now I am curious what 'train wreck of a tv show'? and what 'political show'? :lmao:

6. LaurieO

LaurieO :)

Well I'm surprised at how many people are still ON Facebook. I deleted mine entirely just over a year ago because every morning for almost a year I'd pour a cup of coffee, get on FB & scan through the mindless drivel my friends & family were posting -then hang it up & wonder why I allowed myself to waste my time like that. Then one morning I said "Oh, wait, THIS IS the definition of INSANITY" & deleted it.
    Of course I made sure I had the email addresses of the people I really cared about but (finally getting on topic!) I had already deleted the people who I found to be on the opposite end of the political spectrum as me; yuck! (I am very much into politics!) And after a few weeks, I felt much happier; I think all that stupid meaningless junk I was reading/seeing on FB was causing me to get depressed!

7. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

I am going to guess Honey Boo Boo Child and the Convention.

8. Ginny Favers

Ginny Favers <font color=green>I told my husband I think they m

I am already so sick of my facebook. This happened 4 years ago, around this time. I have a lot of friends and most of them are on the "other" side. From my experiences last time, I learned I can NOT post anything about my beliefs without getting slapped on the wrist.

Unfortunately, they don't have anyone slapping them down, so they just keep going . . . and going . . . Energizer-bunny-esque. A lot of the stuff they spew is just nonsense. I need to put my head in my lap and go into deep breathing to stop myself from throwing my laptop in the trash.

Or else avoid facebook. Which is what I'm doing for the next few months.

9. kerstfan1

kerstfan1 DIS Veteran

be glad u got only 2 parties we have general elections on the 12th and we have over 20 parties entering so it has been fun

10. EMHDad

EMHDad DIS Veteran

lol. Well, that is no a reflection on the sad state of politics. It is a reflection on the sad state of the American public.

11. Free4Life11

Free4Life11 DIS Cast Member<br><font color=red>I just have to

These politicians must be CRAZY if they think they gonna beat ME in the ratings honey boo boo child!

12. LaurieO

LaurieO :)

Yep, it's proof that we're doomed!! I can understand someone skipping Convention coverage for the Giants/Cowboys game (absolutely!) but to watch that nasty little white-trash girl? REALLY?

13. powellrj

powellrj DIS Veteran

I only know because I was watching The Soup and they were the ones that made the comment! I know, my TV viewing habits need some work, what can I say! :lmao::rotfl2::happytv:

14. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

Republican convention and honey boo boo

15. MomofKatie

MomofKatie Dairy World? Fairy World! OH, DARN IT!!

I can usually skim over the political and/or religious posts with no problem. I make a point of NOT commenting on someone else's opinion, since I know everyone has their own and nobody wants to be made to feel their opinion isn't valid. I might not agree with them, but I respect that we can disagree and still be friends.

I, BTW, am one of a tiny minority politicically and religiously among my community/friends in this part of the country, so I am used to just nodding and smiling when the subject of politics or religion comes up in conversation- have been doing it almost as long as I can remember. I don't like confrontation and don't enjoy debate.

What really gets me is when I post MY personal opinion WITHOUT BASHING THE "OTHER" SIDE and 1 or 2 friends just can't help themselves from commenting with really hurtful, personal attacks. There is one friend who has called me stupid, gullible, and said she pitied me for being married to someone who leans so far to one side (which I lean to also). I have NEVER ONCE commented on her posts. She has felt the need to do so more than once, even after we had a face-to-face conversation in which I told her this behavior was hurtful to me.

Might be time to just hit the "hide" button on a few folks...

16. LuLuO

LuLuO <font color=darkblue>I am against mandatory fun<br

I'm just glad we live in a country where we can express our views even if it does clog up my FB feed.

17. mickeysgal

mickeysgal <font color=blue>Orange you glad I like Knock Knoc

This!

18. scubamouse

scubamouse Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>My shoes match. I

Most of my friends are of the same political POV as I am. I've hidden my friends who annoy me with their biased versions of factcheck.org

Many of my friends are just quiet about it. I'll like things but I tend not to post things that are political because I know I have some good friends who are on the opposite side of the aisle.

19. 2girls4me

2girls4me DIS Veteran

Neither myself nor my dh post anything remotely political on fb. I ignore others posts. Except for one friend from hs, but he had more then just political issues.

Like anywhere else on the Internet, no one is going to make me change my mind or my vote.

20. U2_rocks!

U2_rocks! <font color=coral>The DISer formerly known as U2_r

I don't mind when people discuss the issues from their POV, but I cannot stand when people just spew hatred for the other side. I have lost respect for some friends because of this.

21. donaldlovesdaisy

donaldlovesdaisy DIS Veteran

Really nice thing to say about a little girl!!!! That comment is shameful. Obviously from your picture you are a mother how would you feel is someone said something so hateful and mean about your little girl? I can never for the life of me understand why someone would find pleasure in insulting a child.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.