Extra tippin

Exactly. I have always heard of money given in advance and expectation of something called a bribe.

Gratuities are after the fact.

The problem is with forward tipping is that your $5 advance tip might be to cover the next # of encounters. The problem is that the cast member MIGHT think it covers far less encounters. The problem is then that they feel entitled to something from you each time. Just be careful where you set the bar and the unintended consequences from your generosity. My recommendation is tip for the service, not future service(s).

I have a friend that puts 10 1-dollar bills (example) on the table when he arrives (not a DCL story). As the service continues during the course of the meal he adds or subtract bills from the pile. At the end of the meal the waiter gets to keep what is remaining on the table. What are your thought to this approach? I will tell you thoughts in a few minutes.

I have a friend that puts 10 1-dollar bills (example) on the table when he arrives (not a DCL story). As the service continues during the course of the meal he adds or subtract bills from the pile. At the end of the meal the waiter gets to keep what is remaining on the table. What are your thought to this approach? I will tell you thoughts in a few minutes.

That just strikes me as rude.

Weird. Very weird.

The problem is with forward tipping is that your $5 advance tip might be to cover the next # of encounters. The problem is that the cast member MIGHT think it covers far less encounters. The problem is then that they feel entitled to something from you each time. Just be careful where you set the bar and the unintended consequences from your generosity. My recommendation is tip for the service, not future service(s).

That has to be one of the most ridiculous tipping methods I have heard of.

In my opinion, thats way too much energy spent on grading your service. In my opinion, I only want to think of my servers during three encounters....when something really bad happens, when something really good happens and when it's time to settle up gratuities. If nothing stands out in my mind I will offer at least the industry average. If something does (either way) it will impact my decision. Outside of that, whether I am at dinner on vacation I don't want to think about my servers that much.

Thanks Everyone for posting your comments. I just didn't know what to give. I know money is always appreciated but if someone wanted candy or magazines i would like to go that extra step to show how much i appreciate them.

I know money is always appreciated but if someone wanted candy or magazines i would like to go that extra step to show how much i appreciate them.

As has been commented on, do not underestimate the power of your positive comments. It not only helps the CM get promotions but they are also given little bonuses if they get enough comments - they can get extra time off, ability to join an excursion, and other treats. We've had CMs be on excursions in the Med, saw a group of what was clearly CMs being set up a table in Pink to participate in a champagne tasting, and been told by some that such comments can also help them ensure that they get another contract. Giving specific comments on how the individual made your vacation better really does show your appreciation in a way that can be even longer lasting than a small gift.

I prepaid our tips but I also give extra to our head server, assistant server and room attendant.

Would you believe I requested them for our upcoming cruise and booked the same room hoping we get P for our room attendant! I tipped extra because they were awesome. My husband, son and I got sick from Tropical Storm Karen and our room attendant literally took care of us and got us gingerale and had motion sickness bands he went to infirmary to get for us! Aside from taking care of our room he looked after us and always left a surprise in our stateroom for my son. Not to mention when we passed him in the hall he had a special handshake and high five he did with him. Our servers treated us like royalty. Our head server figured out my sons eating preference and by the 2Nd night our drinks were there as we sat down. They made us feel like we were the only ones on board.....I will be so bummed if we don't get them again. We had fun with them!

Anyway as far as tipping goes it's what you feel comfortable with and can afford. The prepaid gratuities are basically a guide of what should be paid out but it's up to you if someone goes above and beyond. I always tipped the room service delivery guy/gals. And there wEre a few other really great staff members that catered to us and made our trip even more memorable. I prefer to give cash and I think they prefer to receive cash.

I wasn't aware that wine was not allowed as a thank you. I will rethink
this. Thank you very much for telling me...

As a former server, bartender and host, I can honestly this guy would receive the worst possible service I could have given him without losing my job. I don't suffer boorish, condescending people very well, and this is about as boorish as I've seen. Most of the managers I worked with over the years would have cheered me on and done what they could to discourage him from returning.

I always tip fairly heavily in the beginning, scale back as the week goes on and then tip amply in the end depending on total amount of service I received throughout the week.

I recently read a trip report on here where someone tipped the servers extra cash after almost every meal (especially breakfast and lunches in the MDRs) - I would consider the exception more than the rule, those dining rooms are just another place that they trying to accommodate meals for everyone on board...

I would possibly consider an extra tip at Palo or Remy if the service is extremely good - but you're already paying extra for those dining experiences, correct? And gratuity is included in that price...
So I guess I'm just wondering if it looks stingy for a guest to leave the special dining experiences (Palo/Remy) without giving an extra tip?

And gratuity is included in that price...
I've read conflicting reports about how much the servers get per person, but for arguments sake, lets say they get 15%.

The servers may get a percentage of what you pay, but the meal you get is far better than the amount you pay. So for example if the server gets 15% from two people the gratuity they get is $7.50. 15$ for four people and $22.50 for 6, etc.

The meal and service you get is far better than something at that amount. BUT, gratuities are not required so leave what you feel is appropriate. We went with a party of 6 and I covered the bill for our group. On top of the cost of the meal I left an additional $15 per person.

Assuming you don't order any additional alcohol the meal and service is well worth $40 per person.

This happened on "Third Rock From the Sun" ! Which shows what an alien concept it is.

I recently read a trip report on here where someone tipped the servers extra cash after almost every meal (especially breakfast and lunches in the MDRs) - I would consider the exception more than the rule, those dining rooms are just another place that they trying to accommodate meals for everyone on board...

I would possibly consider an extra tip at Palo or Remy if the service is extremely good - but you're already paying extra for those dining experiences, correct? And gratuity is included in that price...
So I guess I'm just wondering if it looks stingy for a guest to leave the special dining experiences (Palo/Remy) without giving an extra tip?

The tip is Not included in Palo or are my service fee, the DCL site says at your discretion. It doesn't say included. The full up charge cost goes part way to paying for the upgraded cost of the food. It covers chefs that work in them.

We always add additional money to the envelopes we give to our servers/hostess only if we feel they went above the norm. Some trips we have and some we have not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter