Extra Tip for Servers

It's a one bedroom. Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't even thought about it. Wonder why they don't recommend this?

Not sure guess it is just personal preference. Maybe they feel they don't want to seem like they are nickel and diming concierge? The way we look at it, the room host could possibly have more people/rooms on the other floors, but since the suites are approx. twice the space they take approx. twice the time.

We were on the same sailing. We gave $20 extra each to our server and assistant server.

If I could go back, not sure I would have put extra cash in the envelopes.

I found the last night with the envelopes awkward.

Why would you not put the extra cash in the envelopes in hindsight, if you thought it was right when you did it?

And, why were the envelopes awkward. Believe me, your Server and Assistant Server do not have time, while you are at dinner, to look into the envelopes.

Why would you not put the extra cash in the envelopes in hindsight, if you thought it was right when you did it?

And, why were the envelopes awkward. Believe me, your Server and Assistant Server do not have time, while you are at dinner, to look into the envelopes.

Looking back now and after reading more information on tipping, not sure I would have done it. It certainly wasn't a large amount extra though.
I liked our servers, as people I really did like both of them. The service was ok to good, depending on the night. Never poor.

I totally get they are super busy! I understand that they didn't look in the envelope during dinner service, but I know I'm not the only one who feels awkward with the envelopes.

The envelopes felt awkward to us also at first. We are now at the point where it is just "how it is done." If you have a child in the party, let them give the tip envelope! It's a big deal to them and removes some awkwardness for you.

The envelopes felt awkward to us also at first. We are now at the point where it is just "how it is done." If you have a child in the party, let them give the tip envelope! It's a big deal to them and removes some awkwardness for you.

Hum, where's my LIKE button?

Or, you could give it to them on the morning that you are leaving (although not the recommended time to do it.) That way, you can give it to them and leave. Maybe it's just me, but I never felt uncomfortable, not anymore than when I go out to dinner and tip our Server.

Hum, where's my LIKE button?

Or, you could give it to them on the morning that you are leaving (although not the recommended time to do it.) That way, you can give it to them and leave. Maybe it's just me, but I never felt uncomfortable, not anymore than when I go out to dinner and tip our Server.

The problem with giving it to them in the morning is that IF their contract is ending, they may be excused from morning service in order to catch their plane. under the best of circumstances, the morning is a crazy, hectic time and it would be one more thing for you to remember. On the other hand, if you are giving the charged tip, it really doesn't matter whether they get the coupon or not--the money will be in their check.

The problem with giving it to them in the morning is that IF their contract is ending, they may be excused from morning service in order to catch their plane. under the best of circumstances, the morning is a crazy, hectic time and it would be one more thing for you to remember. On the other hand, if you are giving the charged tip, it really doesn't matter whether they get the coupon or not--the money will be in their check.

Yes, I did realize that. But, I was just trying to give her another way to handle.

We had this happen to our Assistant Server on the Disney Fantasy Oct 20-27 Hurricane Cruise. We were sorry we were not able to say goodbye. :sad1:

The only person we gave extra to was our Server. We went to Guest Services ahead of time and had it put on the account and they reprinted the ticket for us--so there was no cash in the envelope. I must say, he did an excellent job at the final dinner of making the envelope process not be a "money grab" type of situation. He crouched down at our table and had a nice chat with us about our cruise and politely ignored the envelope my husband was trying to slip him. He didn't accept the envelope until the conversation was concluded and he was walking away. Beautiful manners.

On our Fantasy cruise a couple weeks ago we gave our server a 65% increase and our assistant server a 250% increase. Our assistant server was amazing. We did like our server, and I do sometimes think I might have short changed him on the tip. This was our first cruise and we where not sure what to tip.

We always bring baggies of candy from home to give to cast members who we feel have done a great job and can't receive tips (kids clubs in particular). But, on one cruise, we had extra candy, so we gave bags to our servers, along with the tip envelopes with a bit extra in them (can't remember how much cash we put in...not more than $20). The servers were THRILLED with the candy! So now, we do that every time for the servers. I have also written a thank you card to our server, head server, and assistant server. We have been remembered by that same server and requested him now 4 times.
Also, if you feel you have had outstanding service, PLEASE write to DCL about the CM and use their name, they get recognized for that.:)

We always tip more than the suggested amount. The amount however varies. Even though the bar tabs have it included we always leave more.

On our Fantasy cruise a couple weeks ago we gave our server a 65% increase and our assistant server a 250% increase. Our assistant server was amazing. We did like our server, and I do sometimes think I might have short changed him on the tip. This was our first cruise and we where not sure what to tip.

What to tip is the suggested amount. Anything over that is a much appreciated gift. It is never wrong, but NO ONE who leaves the suggested amount should ever feel that they haven't done the right thing. And unless they compare notes, your server and assistant have no way of knowing what you gave the other one.

We always bring baggies of candy from home to give to cast members who we feel have done a great job and can't receive tips (kids clubs in particular). But, on one cruise, we had extra candy, so we gave bags to our servers, along with the tip envelopes with a bit extra in them (can't remember how much cash we put in...not more than $20). The servers were THRILLED with the candy! So now, we do that every time for the servers. I have also written a thank you card to our server, head server, and assistant server. We have been remembered by that same server and requested him now 4 times.
Also, if you feel you have had outstanding service, PLEASE write to DCL about the CM and use their name, they get recognized for that.:)

Where do you write to DCL about excellent customer service? I am all about rewarding staff that helps me, since I'm a single mom traveling so I need all the help I can get. ::yes::

As far as the gratuity, I believe that every experience on board is different. Some people go to the MDR every day/night and then in that case I can see leaving a handsome tip for awesome service. However, most others prefer to self-serve for the majority of the trip, and so the server won't have a chance to "earn" a tip.

All in all, it's all good! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!