Extra money?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mandykaye, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mandykaye

mandykaye Earning My Ears

About how much can I expect to spend while on board and on islands, we are going on a 3 night Bahamian cruise

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

$12 per person (yes, kids and babies, too) is recommended for tips. Everything else is up to you: shore excursions, alcohol, souvenirs, pictures, spa, Palo and/or Remy are all optional. On our honeymoon we had $2500 in gift cards from our registry and had no problem spending a good chunk of it. But we could have easily had just as great a time without spending anything extra.

4. mandykaye

mandykaye Earning My Ears

We are going as a group of 4 so that will be $48 a day in tip?

5. Namsupak

Namsupak DIS Veteran

Yes $12pp/day so $12 x 4 people x 3 days = $144

6. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Yes. It covers your dining team (server, asst server, head server) and your room host. It will be charged to your onboard account when the cruise starts.

Or you can pre-pay it by contacting DCL.

7. mom2jcg

mom2jcg Mouseketeer

Be prepared that when you get to the end of the cruise and see how little each person actually receives that you may want to tip more. We especially felt that way about our dining team.:)

8. Night Owl

Night Owl Earning My Ears

We tipped what Disney suggested ($12 per person). Are you saying the cm don't get all that? We tipped assuming our cm were getting the full amount.

9. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

No, they get it all. I think the previous poster is referring to the fact that the $12 per day per person is pretty much all of what they get, period. The base salary from DCL for tipped positions is, according to hearsay, very very low. So the tips are not a bonus, they are the core of the paycheck.

10. mom2jcg

mom2jcg Mouseketeer

I just meant that when we realized that essentially your server gets only $4 per meal per person, we felt that his service was worth much more than that to us. It is completely a personal choice, but we felt he went above and beyond and deserved more. The $12 is divided among head server, server, assistant server, and stateroom host. That's all I was referring to. Sorry if I was confusing!:)

11. blu

blu Mouseketeer

It seems like a pittance but we did the math on ours and in our cabin of 4 that was 16 per day x 5 days coming to 80 dollars. Our cabin steward said he had 14 cabins that makes it $1,120 for a 5 day cruise. We did tip above but it made the 16 dollars a day seem a little better to know that it was still over a thousand a week. If they work 40 weeks a year that's $45k per year. It's a nasty job with long hours but you won't find many jobs in the US that pay that. I don't know whose taxes they pay, Bahamian or US or native country or all of the above.

12. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

Or none.

13. mom2jcg

mom2jcg Mouseketeer

I don't mean to make anyone feel like they didn't tip enough. It was just one of those things that I realized too late that I wish I'd had more cash on hand to put in the envelope. I didn't realize I could go back and add more on the onboard account and wished at the time that I could have done more if I'd had more cash. I only mentioned it because the OP was looking to plan for all extra money needed. Sorry if I made anyone feel like they didn't do enough or that you should always add extra...not my intention at all.:)

14. Namsupak

Namsupak DIS Veteran

This is not a bad salary given the assumption that people do tip at least the recommended amounts. I am sure it likely averages out, some people pay more some less. And assuming 4 people to a cabin which I would imagine really averages to 2-3 people per cabin. There is quite a bit of variability there. But the fact that they may not have to pay taxes saves quite a bit of income.