Extra Money Collected.....HELP

JackJack08

DIS Veteran
O.k. so the story is...I have collected a bunch of money, from my community to help a needy family. The response was SO great, that I have money left over. (Because I'm such a budget shopper!;) ) So. I was going to open a bank account and put the rest in there for next year. I figure, I sort of have to continue next year, if they still need it. I don't want the kids to think next year, when they don't get presents, that they were bad or anything. So no problem.......then my friend tells me, she knows another needy family that can't pay their hydro bill and wonders, if I would give the money to them. The bill is over $500. Keep in mind that she is in the $80 to $90k income bracket at her work. So is everyone else there. I collected $20 from her and no money from anyone she works with.
Am I wrong, to think maybe she should just collect a bit from her work to help them??:confused3
Our family just did this on our own. We collected $996. Not looking for a pat on the back.....I just think maybe she could do the same for this family.

I would take the leftover money and buy a gift card to a local grocery store for the needy family you collected for that way all the money will be spent for the family it was intended for. Once the holidays are over they could probably still use the help. I would let your friend take up a collection for the family she wants to help and give her $20.

How about buying a gc to a food store for the family that you collected the money for? People donated for that family and that is what it should be used for. I'll be honest and say that if I found out that I donated money for a family and the collector decided to do something else with it, I would be highly upset. Plus the fact that you can get is serious legal trouble for doing something like that. The same thing happened to a gentleman in our area and he has been charged with fraud and theft.

I think it is great that you took the time and effort to do this for this family. I'm sure your kindness and generosity will find its way back to you :)

If you collected to help a specific family and people contributed thinking it was to go to that family, the money should only go to them.

I don't know all the circumstances, but in my opinion, I think you should give the family you collected for the leftover money as well. Give them grocery certificates or walmart giftcards if you don't want to give them cash. Who knows what could happen in the next year-you might move, they might move, etc.

That's a great thing your family did and is very inspiring!!!

Take the advice of the previous posters, you need to spend this money on the family that you collected it for. If you collected it specifying this family as the recipient then yes it would be considered fraud and theft by deception. Keep all receipts (there is always someone that questions good intentions)
Depending on the amount you have remaining, get several different gift certificates for local places. Grocery store, Gas station, Movie theater, Bowling, skating, something they can do as a family.

I agree with everyone else on this one. The money should go to the family that it was specified for and it should go to them now. I like the idea of a grocery GC that they can choose to use now or next month. Everybody's got to eat!

In all honesty, I would be unhappy if I donated money for one purpose and then the receiving agency turned around and re-purposed it. It would be the last time that I trusted them with my charity donation.

If you ever hope to continue to get the support of your friends who donated, then you MUST make sure that every single penny of what you collected goes to that family THIS year...its not even proper to bank any of it for next year.

The folks you collected from gave you that money in good faith...faith that it would be going to that family this season, not next...and that it wouldn't be going to anyone else. You have a duty and an obligation to carry out your original intention which was to make THIS Christmas special for this particular family.

More agreement here. I would give them a gift card to a grocery store or possibly make a pre-payment on their utilities. The money needs to go to this family this year. I don't think you want to open yourself up to the problems that could come up if you don't.

I would take the leftover money and buy a gift card to a local grocery store for the needy family you collected for that way all the money will be spent for the family it was intended for. Once the holidays are over they could probably still use the help. I would let your friend take up a collection for the family she wants to help and give her $20.

I think this is your BEST and really ONLY option.

You collected the money for ONE family. Using it for another family or setting up a bank account for "next year" is not a good idea. The bank account option could EASILY open you up for legal action if it ever got out. You aren't a charity, you can't keep this money for future use! And if you do and it gets out then you can be subject to legal action. (It's no different then the family where the mother "claims" the kid has cancer, collects donations to fund treatment and then everyone discovers "opps no cancer") You will be seen as profiting. INTENT is not going to fly here LOL!

Your third option, assuming you kept decent records, return proportionally the money you didn't spend to the donors. So if I gave 10% of the funds I get 10% of the overage back.

Really you are opening a can of worms that could cost you and your reputation DEARLY if you don't either return the cash or spend it on who you told folks you were spending it on.

(And to be honest, this example is why I generally don't give to "private" fundraising. As we can see there is NO GUARANTEE the money is going where you think it is!)

We recently did this for a family whose who burned down. In order to open a bank account, you either need that person's driver's license and SS# (they'll have to report this as "income" we were told) or find a business to use a tax id # to be "tax free" basically. (this is only what we were told and I have a friend that works at a bank that I trust) That said, I'd go with what the others said and purchase gift cards or stock them up on things to go in the pantry/freezer if you're not wanting to give them a gift card for something.

I also agree with keeping all of the reciepts in a safe location for a while just to be safe. If the money was collected for a specific purpose (specifically this family), it's really in your best interest to keep it for this family. If they turn around and choose to donate it, that's fine but it's their choice.

Another suggestion would be to call the local utility companies (phone, cable, water, whatever) and see if you're able to pay $x.-- on their bill in person or by phone. That would help out a lot and be a nice surprise when they get the bill and see it's $25 less than what they were expecting.

What a wonderful thing you've done for the family - it will come back to you for sure!

I agree with the previous posters... that money should go to the family now as was intended by the donors. I also agree with the previous posters... give a gift card to the grocery store and pay their heating/electric bill. Both would really help the family right now and follow the intent of the donors.

I think you should spend it on the family it was collected for. Can you send it in to the power or other utility company where it might pay a lot of the bill for a year or I agree on the grocery store on.

I agree - the $ need to go to the original family, this Christmas. I think gift cards to the grocery store, gas stations and maybe a couple restaurants would be wonderful.

:) Michele

I agree with everyone else, I would use the extra money for the family you collected it for. If I gave money to help a certain family and it was given to another family, I'd be upset. I know the other people have a need, but I didn't give my money to them.

The idea of putting it into savings is a good idea, but I wouldn't worry about next year until next year.

i agree as well, get a giftcertificate for a grocery store or pay ahead on their utilities for this year and this family only
think how wondeful peace of mind will be for them to not have to worry about food or electric for the next month??

THat is what I would suggest if it was me.

Yep, you've got my vote for a grocery gift card or utility prepayment as well! :)

It's very heartwarming to see what people will do for others in need; thank you for sharing that with us! :grouphug:

I agree use it on a GC for the family for groceries, movies, resturant, etc. You should spend all of the money on this family for this Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter