Extra leg room seats

mickeyforpresident

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me more about the £30 extra legroom seats available on Virgin flights from manchester?

Can someone tell me where they are in relation to the seat map (im assuming they are behind (or infront of - depending on which way you look at the map) the galley areas?

Can these ONLY be booked on the day of the flight or can they be booked during on-line check-in?

Thanks.

I haven't flown from Manchester, but assume all the planes are roughly the same.

Yes, you can only book them on the day of flight as they have to check you are in a healthy condition, as they are the exit row seats and in an emergency you could be called upon to open the door!

I think we paid more than £30 each in May though . . . pretty sure it was £75 each.

The seats are behind gallery areas, and also where the emergency doors are, on the left and right sides of the plane.

The seats are hit and miss - if you get one in the front of a plane section then its excellent. This time we got the ones next to the toilets - well we wished we hadn't paid the extra! Not only did the noise from the toilets keep us awake all night, but we also had people queuing for the toilets in front of us and - even worse- using the space to congregate for a chat and stretch!!! I know people are supposed to move around but they made no attempt to keep their voices down, and were trampling all over our feet and our bags - we couldn't even stretch our feet out. So if you do pay extra ask to check the plan of where they are putting you first!!!

I thought it was £50 or £75 but it certainly wasn't £30 when we fly this year

Alot of the leg room will depend on which type of aircraft being used 747, 767, or Airbus. The one help I can give you is that in some cases if there is a emergency excaspe window on the craft the seat behind it will have extra leg room, because there is no seat there.

The £30 extra leg room seats laterdepending upon which 747 it is. this is why they cannot be pre booked, as the aircraft can chnage, so its available at Twilight checkin

the extra leg room seats are (in addition to the exit seats)

LGW 1 = G-VROS / G-VGAL / G-VLIP / G-VROM / G-VROY
Row 50 - A/B/C/H/J/K
Row 51 - A/B/C/H/J/K
Row 53 - D/E/F/G
Row 54 - D/E/F/G

LGW 2 = G-VTOP / G-VAST / G-VXLG
Row 22 - A/B/C/H/J/K
Row 31 - D/E/F/G
Row 32 - D/E/F/G
Row 62 - H/K

Another thing to take into consideration is that the seats are "front of section" seats for want of a better phrase which means you have solid arms that do not fold up as they hold your food tray and IFE screen.

So if your a bit "pooh" sized like me you'll actually find them less comfortable than the standard economy seats (usually, in a standard Economy seat, I move the arm up to be used as a head rest and I spread slightly onto my partner's seat who is much more svelt than I).

Add to that the tendancy for people to use it as a meeting area if you're by the doors or loos, etc. then I think that it's not worth the money.

As a previous poster said, it depends where you sit. I have done it before on Virgin and we were right behind the first class screen. Also, they weren't emergency exit seats because my DD was quite little then and it wasn't an issue. Don't remember what we paid, but I think we were coming back from the US and paid around $50 each.

As a previous poster said, it depends where you sit. I have done it before on Virgin and we were right behind the first class screen. Also, they weren't emergency exit seats because my DD was quite little then and it wasn't an issue. Don't remember what we paid, but I think we were coming back from the US and paid around $50 each.

Ohh yes . . . when I said £75 I could have meant $75 . . . I can't remember clearly!

We had the extra legroom seats on our VA flight from Manchester at Easter.

At check-in, they had extra legroom seats available for an additional £30 each. Following our previous VA flight in August 2008 where the passengers in front of us on the outward leg had their seat backs in our faces for the entire journey, we took advantage, and found ourselves in row 51. We did get around 4” more legroom, which did make for a very pleasant flight, although Sod’s law decreed that the passengers in front of us didn’t recline their seats during the journey!!

If you can get the seats then definitely go for it. We did arrive at MAN about 2-3/4 hours before departure, so I would imagine if you arrived later then the chances of getting these seats would be reduced.

We had the extra legroom seats on our VA flight from Manchester at Easter.

At check-in, they had extra legroom seats available for an additional £30 each. Following our previous VA flight in August 2008 where the passengers in front of us on the outward leg had their seat backs in our faces for the entire journey, we took advantage, and found ourselves in row 51. We did get around 4” more legroom, which did make for a very pleasant flight, although Sod’s law decreed that the passengers in front of us didn’t recline their seats during the journey!!

If you can get the seats then definitely go for it. We did arrive at MAN about 2-3/4 hours before departure, so I would imagine if you arrived later then the chances of getting these seats would be reduced.

We also went from Manchester at Easter and that is right - I remember them having the signs up at the Economy check in for £30. We went Premium but I remember wondering when I saw that if I had wasted my money on the PE - £30 was small change by comparison :rotfl2: To be honest, there isn't THAT much of a difference in legroom between extra legroom and PE - just that the seats are a bit wider (and itchy according to DD!) and you have a legrest. Food was just, well, airline food. Didn't eat as they forgot to load the allergy meals !!!!!! but it looked fairly good.

If it is purely for the extra legroom, I think it is worth buying the seats if available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter