Extra Cash for the House of Mouse

For anybody who lives in their own house (i.e. not with parents), don't forget the 2 'free' months council tax in Feb and March - that money always goes in my holiday savings.

For anybody who lives in their own house (i.e. not with parents), don't forget the 2 'free' months council tax in Feb and March - that money always goes in my holiday savings.

That's a good one - unfortunately though in our house, my DDs' birthdays are April and May, and my DH, DBIL and DMIL are all in March! So, the 'spare' money from those two months gets swallowed up on presents and party spending (boy, are those children's parties expensive these days!). I didn't plan their birthdays very well :rotfl2:!

But yes, I have heard of lots of people saving those two months towards holidays and depending on your banding, you can save quite a bit!

I sold £29.99 worth of 'stuff' on ebay last week - went and got £2 coins with the money and now it's waiting for the girls to put in our pot when they get in from school :thumbsup2.

ooo i never knew this and i have lived on my own since i was 18 lol will be keeping a eye on my next months bank statemnet and transfer it in to the fund

ooo i never knew this and i have lived on my own since i was 18 lol will be keeping a eye on my next months bank statemnet and transfer it in to the fund

Some councils don't have the option of paying 10 months so they don't get the break but they pay a lower amount over 12 months. Check your council tax bill/statement from this year and it should show if you pay 10 or 12 months

About 5 years ago after our 6th or 7th visit we realised that we probably were never going to get bored of Florida, so from then on our aim has always been to have enough saved for the next holiday before going on the current holiday. That way, we always know on the last day in Florida that we have enough to book up for the next year. It makes coming home not so bad. We do all the usual things to save money. I never turn down an overtime shift and to be honest that has probably paid for the flight, hotel and tickets for atleast the last 4 trips. I give my husband house keeping every month and from that he saves all our spending money. He went back to work 7 months ago after being a full time house husband for 13 years so after living on one wage for so long, its a real bonus. Although if I am honest, I miss him being at home.
I also look for deals in flights, accommodation etc. We always stay at Bonnet Creek now which is $140 a night. Could stay alot cheaper I know but I don't think this place can be beaten. Some of my friends say I must be rich. They look up the cost of three weeks at Disney in the Virgin brochure and always ask how we can afford to go every year. Well by not booking a Virgin package!!!:rotfl2: The amount we save on flights, hotel etc pays for a week in Peurto Pollensa in May school holidays.
Last year my friend gave me a Disney Terramundi pot. Saving £2 coins and I hope to have it full up by August. Will change into dollars I guess when we smash it.
Oh and my husband saves all his change for the whole year and this is changed into dollars for my son. Its always his birthday when we are there so he always get that as part of his birthday present. Usually about $250. He makes it last the whole three weeks, mainly spends on lego.
Some excellent ideas on here. Ones I hadn't thought of.

Until Wednesday Sainsbury's are offering a 10p fuel voucher for every £30 spend. They were also giving out, spend £60 save £12 vouchers if you bought food/Petrol last week so yesterday my DH and I went and bought £60 in one trolly and £30 in the other (£12 saving + 2 petrol vouchers). Today we did the same. We stocked up on things like dishwasher tablets, washing powder,toilet roll etc The 4 petrol vouchers will save us around £24 and the shopping vouchers we had another £24 so that's £48 in our disney savings! :flower1::flower1::flower1:

Last edited:
We have a set amount that we save every month I have been slowly upping it (priorities have changed and we would rather have more money for holidays now).

I plan the meals for the week, write a shopping list and try and stick to it (doesn't always happen and completely blew the budget this weekend), I take cash out for my shopping and then take out the left over money. I save my Tesco vouchers for treats like meals out so I don't feel like I'm going without. I plan to start batch cooking which should help but haven't actually got round to starting this.

We use a cashback site and save the money towards holiday and I ebay stuff for some extra money.

Since Christmas we have been making an effort to not have take-aways, eat out or buy extra food which has saved us loads already. We do the normal bits of bring lunch to work, don't buy coffee, cut magazine subscriptions etc

This month I have taken my spending money out as cash so I have to think before I spend and any money left at the end of the month will go in the savings pot

Its hard as sometimes I feel like we are making good progress and other days it feels like all we do is spend as things come up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter