Extra burger buns now $1.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are very good friends with owners of a local Italian restaurant and he just had to raise his prices due to the rise in his food costs from distributers. He said that the rolls he used to pay 35 cents for each have gone up to 60 cents a piece. I'd assume that Disney has also seen a jump in food costs and is passing it on to all of us.

I know I will get flamed here - but it seems like many people are upset that they can't get over on Disney for the almost 2 burgers for 1 scam...

I understand the value of saving money and the need to budget - but I would be embarrassed doing this, I find this very cheap. Disney raised it to a price to make it unrealistic to continue to get over on them.

I don't get why people expect Disney to not run like a PROFITABLE business and expect them to never raise prices and/or continue to give more stuff away, etc.
It's probably because I only just went to Disney for this first time this month and never was spoiled by the "good old days???"'

everyone knows it is not the burger bun people that drive the costs up it is the salad bar condiment people who don't purchase anything that are to blame.

Hey if I order a double cheese burger and an extra bun it should equal two burgers. Since at Disney it costs more for two burgers then I don't see anything wrong with the past people ordering an extra bun:confused3 It is the exact same menu item but one way the guest is price gouged and the other way not.

To drive the price of an extra bun up is ridiculous.

It is not a scam ;)

I'm amazed Disney was willing to sell an extra bun. I agree with the previous posters, no reason why the price of a double burger/with extra bun should cost less then the cost of two burgers.

The internet makes a budget technique common knowledge and a "loophole" is closed. The cheap price for a bun was probably intended for a young child that just wanted some bread. I doubt it was ever intended as a method to purchase two burgers at a discount.

I thin the .40 bun was a deal and a half!

But for them to raise the price is reasonable, especially when you hear about what really happens.. For example, at the burger joint in Magic Kingdom in FrontierLand (the name escapes me-:surfweb: ). They have that huge condiment bar that includes onions, lettuce, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese sauce, chili, etc. People would pay 40 cents for a bun and then go load up on the chili, cheese, and condiments, essentially without paying for them. The new price of $1.99 reflects that people are likely going to load up at condiment bar...

Just my 2 cents. I never did the 40 cents bun thing because I would have felt funny about "taking stuff" from the condiment bar. I know it was a gray area and was not against the rules, but I think I would pony up the $1.99 and use the bar now, because neither of my boys would eat a double burger and the kids meals in WDW are stoopid:teacher:

I'm amazed Disney was willing to sell an extra bun. I agree with the previous posters, no reason why the price of a double burger/with extra bun should cost less then the cost of two burgers.

The internet makes a budget technique common knowledge and a "loophole" is closed. The cheap price for a bun was probably intended for a young child that just wanted some bread. I doubt it was ever intended as a method to purchase two burgers at a discount.

That is exactly my thought. It was a nice little easy thing to get. I have a DS who doesn't like most food on kids menus. There have been times after I learned about this that I just bought him a bun and put jelly on it. I still felt funny about it.

I am still confused as to why you can't just cut the double cheeseburger in half. And wouldn't those buns get all squished up in your backpack?

I did do the extra bun thing - maybe once or twice. I didn't do it to "pull one over on Disney" which although some did, I think there are many more like me that didn't. I did it more to control waste. My dd won't eat a whole kids meal....however I CAN (and want to) eat a whole burger so I would get her a bun and give her one of my meat patties we'd share the fries (or if we did apples like this past January we ordered an extra pack) and we throw less away and are both full. I do think that 2 bucks is ridiculous for one bun though - although honestly I can't tell you what I paid for an extra bun in January and I can't say that I won't still do it because it still saves us money and we would still throw less away.

I did do the extra bun thing - maybe once or twice. I didn't do it to "pull one over on Disney" which although some did, I think there are many more like me that didn't. I did it more to control waste.
If I were to do this it would be for the same reason. It makes no sense to buy something & then throw it away. Heck, even if I don't purchase myself I hate to throw it out. It's just wasteful.

Like you, I wouldn't balk at the $1.99 for the extra bun. It's a purchase anyone can choose to make or not make.

You don't need to order just cheeseburgers with fries/fruit/carrots. You can just order a hamburger without fries/fruit/carrots. This is what we do and no food is thrown out. We save room for a popcorn later. We feel that each burger ordered (not bun) is a trip to the condiments bar.

I never did the bun thing, my kids hate hamburgers, but I remember reading about it before my trip last year and thinking it was very clever. I cut coupons and save pennies all year so that when I go to Disney I don't have to worry about it. If this is what worked best for my family, I would just buy the bun for 1.99 and not worry about it.

I live in NJ near 6 Flags Great Adventure, and they don't let you bring ANYTHING into the parks. I once had a ziplock baggie of teddy grams in my purse for my 2 YO, and the security guard threw them in the garbage before he would let me in. I guess I think it's great that Disney lets you bring in your own food and water at all. I saved a lot last year on carrying in my own water, so I didn't stress too much over food prices. And by the way, the food at 6 flags is horrible and twice as much as the very good food at Disney.

Not every place has a condiment bar. I think its only a few. Did they only raise bun prices at only those place with a condiment bar or all burger places?

I'm willing to give my "condiment bar use" to someone with an extra bun. I eat my burgers plain - not one drop of anything. But, alas, they still charge me regular price at Cosmic Rays even though I don't use their condiment bar.

Maggie

I haven't been to Disney in almost a year, but can't you just order a single burger for each person?

:lmao: I find this thread very entertaining. I am very budget friendly but I would never have thought about ordering an extra bun to make a double burger two burgers. I have to agree with the previous poster, Why not just order two single burgers?

I also don't get the argument that people don't like to waste food. Then don't order it...pretty simple idea.

But whatever the thought process behind ordering an extra bun, it doesn't change the fact that the price of bread has went up. This isn't some Disney conspiracy on nickel and diming everyone to death. Prices go up every year everywhere, not just Disney.

I look forward to more comments on the Great Bun Debate!!!:thumbsup2

Frankly, Disney is smart enough to know when they can make an easy buck off of people trying to take advantage.

I agree with Disney being smart about making money...however people taking advantage? HA! sorry,but even the being a hardcore Disney fan doesn't prevent me from seeing that an .89 bun isn't taking advantage of much.....let's see,around 75.00 at the gate to get in for a day- around 9.00 for a cheap burger and fries-2.50 for a soda,or 3.00 for a water bottle,ice cream for a family of 4 is 20.00.....shall I go on?
To me,taking advantage is cheating,like climbing over the gate to get in for free,not searching for little bargains.....
no matter how you look at it,it's just folks trying to catch a SMALL break in a very expensive vacation......I mean,we spend,even doing things as budget as possible the equivalent of2-3 months of grocery money for food on a vacation....and since that burger meal likely costs Disney about 1.50 to produce....well,yes,it would benefit disney if my family bought 4 full meals and threw half the food away....but that would be kinda' silly now,right?;)

You know...I think some pp's are right....I am irritated that just another little thing is hiked up,but again,it is a Disney trip,and getting worked up about such a small thing is not worth the fuss.....so I'll stop,and go back to worrying about other things.....and cutting the double in half for the cootie kids to share.......I don't like them anyway...but I do like the pickles on the bar......:rotfl2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter