explain this

mom4fun

DIS Veteran
I booked our cruise back in August, a 7a. I decided it might be nice to upgrade a little. The price to go up 1 level, a 6b, is almost $400.00 more. Does that make sense? It shows on most cruises to go up about $20-30.

You don't say which cruise you are going on. Some have a larger difference. It depends on how many rooms in that category had been sold by the date you booked your original room. If it is a popular cruise that has sold well, it is very possible that there is a larger difference in price between stateroom categories.

You don't say which cruise you are going on. Some have a larger difference. It depends on how many rooms in that category had been sold by the date you booked your original room. If it is a popular cruise that has sold well, it is very possible that there is a larger difference in price between stateroom categories.

It is for the dream on March31. All of my current category,7a, is sold out so I would think it would be even more valuable.

That explains it. Spring break! The prices for all categories were higher to begin with. The difference between each level will be higher as well. You also say you did not book it until this past August -- nearly a year after the opening day for 2013. Prices jumped up considerably the first day alone for the popular dates like those during the spring break range. When they sell that 7A again you can bet that it will be for more than you paid for it in August.

Do you currently have a room assignment? If your category is sold out, you might want to see if you could switch to a guarantee (rather than an assigned stateroom) and take your chances at maybe getting an upgrade that way (although you would lose your choice of stateroom, if you had one chosen). However, I do believe that March 31 is Easter, and with holiday sailings things tend to cost a lot more, including differences in category.

Having a GTY does not give you a better chance of getting an upgrade. It also doesn't cost less for a regular GTY. This is not the same as the *TY specials. I would not expect to so any of those during the time considered spring break.

Do you currently have a room assignment? If your category is sold out, you might want to see if you could switch to a guarantee (rather than an assigned stateroom) and take your chances at maybe getting an upgrade that way (although you would lose your choice of stateroom, if you had one chosen). However, I do believe that March 31 is Easter, and with holiday sailings things tend to cost a lot more, including differences in category.

I have a gty 7a. I would understand if there was a big jump between all categories but there isn't, only between my 7a and 6b.

It depends on how many cabins are available in each category and how many are on the ship total.

Also, since you are already booked, the price to upgrade may be less than what you are seeing for a new booking on the web site.

It depends on how many cabins are available in each category and how many are on the ship total.

Also, since you are already booked, the price to upgrade may be less than what you are seeing for a new booking on the web site.

When I went into my reservation , this was the price difference, not the price on the regular site. I even called thinking it was a mistake and she said it was correct.

Disney sells their ships in tiered pricing. So since you booked in August, the price may have jumped up so many tiers since then.

Sometimes the tiered pricing can go up as quickly as one day....

mom4fun said:
I booked our cruise back in August, a 7a. I decided it might be nice to upgrade a little. The price to go up 1 level, a 6b, is almost $400.00 more. Does that make sense? It shows on most cruises to go up about $20-30.

Are you saying that your price to upgrade is $400 but in other sale dates the difference between those levels is $20-30?

My guess is that your upgrade price is based in the price of your 7a on the day you booked (compared to today's price for the 6b). Other "upgrade" costs would be based solely on today's pricing of both cabins? Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Are you saying that your price to upgrade is $400 but in other sale dates the difference between those levels is $20-30?

My guess is that your upgrade price is based in the price of your 7a on the day you booked (compared to today's price for the 6b). Other "upgrade" costs would be based solely on today's pricing of both cabins? Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

That is correct. The exact amount is 376.00 for a 6b, 416.00 for a 6a and 456.00 for a 5e. However if i was to downgrade 1 level to a 8a, i would only save 32.00.

The prices of each category on the day you booked your cruise originally are locked in. It sounds like more rooms were sold in both the category above and below you, than the one you booked at that time. If the category below you was closer to being sold out than your category, it would have a price close to your category or even priced more than your category. It is all supply and demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter