Explain a Gift Receipt

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Evans Family, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Evans Family

Evans Family Disney Crazy

Can someone explain a Gift Receipt to me? Can you get cash back from one or do you just get a store gift card? The gift/receipt is from Pottery Barn.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BuzznBelle'smom

BuzznBelle'smom <font color=red>There are tomato-ey paw prints all

I don't know what Pottery Barn's policy is, but most stores won't just give you cash back these days. Generally, it's a gift card. You might want to check their website. What it does actually give you is, you can get credited for the exact amount that was paid for it. And if the purchaser brings it back with the receipt, usually the computer can just credit the credit card it was purchased with (at least in Target).

It used to be that stores would take anything back this week--not sure if that's still true.

4. Evans Family

Evans Family Disney Crazy

I have the gift givers receipt but they paid with CC. I really want the cash back but don't think it is possible. If I give them the original CC receipt they will want to credit back the CC which won't help me. I'll at least ask. All they can say is no!

5. antmaril

antmaril DIS Veteran

It is my understanding that you receive a store credit with a gift receipt. I don't think you can get cash back.

6. momxx5

momxx5 DIS Veteran

The reason for a gift reciept is to enable an easy "exchange" shoult the gift not be the right size or color. If for some reason the gift is not suitable or liked at all then the reciept is used to give the amount purchased credited to the reciever.....i.e. if a blue shirt is marked down after Christmas you'd get the credit for the amount paid not the current price.

Sorry but no cash back....at most a gift card that can be regifted.

7. LilyWDW

LilyWDW Going to My Happy Place

In this case, at least where I have worked in the past, the person would be given a gift card for the amount paid. We would NEVER give cash back on a CC purchase, doesn't matter if it is a gift receipt or the original.

From the Pottery Barn Web site (emphasis mine):