Expired points

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by mikeweider1, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mikeweider1

mikeweider1 Mouseketeer DVC Gold

Hey do you all think that very many people let their points expire every year rather than using them or renting them out? I read somewhere recently that some (don't know how many) people let their points expire every year which allows disney to make millions on the unused points by selling those units to cash purchases. What do you think? Has that ever happened to you or DVCers that you know?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Mrs Hobbes

Mrs Hobbes DIS Veteran

I always banks mine and if I couldn't use them that year I would rent them out seems a huge waste to just let them expire.

4. Granny

Granny Yeah, I'm a guy

I believe that there is a significant percentage (not huge, but significant) of DVC members who let some points expire. My guess is that some don't even know they can bank them. Like any other complex product there are users that don't really understand what they own.

Kind of like me if I bought a smart phone. :rotfl2:

5. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

I totally agree with Granny (even on the smart phone thing). :teeth:

I think there are a significant number of members who let points expire. I doubt many of them (if any) frequent these boards, though.

I don't know if Disney makes millions on this, but our dues are less because of those members. Any rooms in the member inventory that are not reserved at the 60 day mark are sent to DRC to be offered to the general public. The revenue from these rooms (less a hefty commission for DRC) is returned to DVC and used to offset our dues. You can see the amounts in our annual budget statements under "Breakage Income". There is a cap on Breakage Income and any $$ over the cap go to Disney.

6. makthompson

makthompson Mouseketeer DVC Gold

I personally think it would be crazy to just let your points expire...Disney is by no means losing money. I bank what I dont use if I dont rent them out. I have some I'm getting ready to bank and then use them next year :)

7. tink'smom2B

tink'smom2B Chasing Tinkerbell Full Time

I have * points that will expire in **, but I don't have a clue how to rent them out. Where would I learn this? ETA: they are in a holding account so I can't bank them.

8. jackdis

jackdis DIS Veteran

Can you give them me??? LOL.......
    I wish I could help you, but I don't know too much, except that we use ours all up and bank a few here and there!!!

9. SusieBea

SusieBea DIS Veteran

I've only "lost" 3 points in 18 years. We bought 'em; we're usin' 'em. I agree with the PP who said that they believe many owners are not fully aware of how the system works and lose points as a result. That's unfortunate.

10. Granny

Granny Yeah, I'm a guy

I'd give David's a call (here's his site: http://www.dvcrequest.com). You won't get a lot for them, but he can probably "fire sell" them for you.

11. appleorchard

appleorchard DIS Veteran

I would try and transfer them on the rental board. Lots of people find themselves a few points short and most people don't want to transfer so few points because of the once a year transfer rule. Couldn't hurt to try.

12. Halle

Halle DIS Veteran

We bought a resale sevral years ago that was loaded...almost three years worth of points, unfortunately we lost 42 points....believe me I tried very hard to use them.

13. tink'smom2B

I know there used to be a rental board here on disboards, but I can't find it now. Anyone know what happened to it?

14. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

It' still here, but you have to be logged in to see it.

15. BUDDYBEAR

BUDDYBEAR DIS Veteran

I ALWAYS BANK MINE :cool1:

16. tink'smom2B

Wow, I have never been able to bank anything :rotfl: I could easily use a few hundred more! The only reason I have some left this year is I had to change a reservation from a 1 bdr to a studio so we could have a 10 day vacation. Then I had to switch the hotels too. I have a terrible time making up my mind! Disney must love me :love:

17. twinklebug

twinklebug 1200+ miles away from home.

I think when life changes and demands more attention in other areas, it may get harder for some to keep track of their unused points. For example, I know a Disney loving, organized person who's spouse passed and who always seems to have points about to expire. They still want the points and frequently offer them up to family, but the whole usage and banking bit was obviously the spouse's role.

18. lundve

lundve DIS Veteran

What is this think y'all call banking?? I didn't know you could do that. ;)

I all seriousness, not since our very first year have we used that year's points for that year's a vacation. I am a repeat borrower and proud of it!

19. jontybfc

jontybfc Earning My Ears

Can you rent out a small number of points? The way I see it is that I will have about six points that I won't be able to use even with banking them.

20. sznk

sznk wearing my ears

with our september use year, our points expire august 31st. due to unavoidable circumstances, we had 74 points that were 'use it or lose it'.
    i couldn't accept losing them. tried to sell them several weeks ago with TTS & David, but it was too late.

this week DH & i are spending two nights in a THV! yep, just the two of us in a 3-bedroom / 2-bath villa :rotfl2:.
    it was worth it for us to borrow 4 points from next year to do it. last minute ressie was no problem. :goodvibes

21. lundve

lundve DIS Veteran

I would have done that same thing.