Expired Disney Visa Rewards

Shoppingstaceysmom

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to share where I knew people would understand. Yesterday pulled out all my saved gift cards to prepare to pay off September trip. Looked at Disney Visa rewards card from last trip that had $380 left over on it and noticed expires 12/14 on it!!! I couldn't believe it, how could I have let that happen??? I immediately called Chase hopeing for a miracle the first person I talked to could give me a courtesy $100 credit and then connected me to someone who might be able to help more that person could only send the request on and said I would receive a letter within 7-10 business days on their decision which I interpret as away for them to say sorry no without having a real person have to do it.
I'm just sick about it. Has anyone had this happen and had Chase reimburse their rewards?

I'm so sorry to hear that! When do you need to pay your vacation off? If you have enough time, I would wait to see their response. If it is not favorable, then I would email Disney's Guest Services to see if they might have a suggestion. I'm actually surprised they gave you the $100 credit, that was nice of them.

Ohhh nooo, I am soo sorry to hear this! I hope they can work something out for you! The way I have gotten around losing points is to do the transfer to the redemption card then immediately purchase a gift card with it. The gift cards never expire and don't reduce in value so as long as I don't lose them ........

Ohhh nooo, I am soo sorry to hear this! I hope they can work something out for you! The way I have gotten around losing points is to do the transfer to the redemption card then immediately purchase a gift card with it. The gift cards never expire and don't reduce in value so as long as I don't lose them ........

That is a brilliant idea! I had the same thing happen, only $100 or so, and it happened as I did not realize that it had an expiration date...even though it was clearly on the front of the card:) Ah well, live and learn. I need to get a new rewards card with my current balance for my upcoming trip but now know what I'll be immediately doing with it! Thanks for the great suggestion.

It was 9 years between trips for us and I wanted to make sure I did not lose any points. It was fun to pull out all of the envelopes every once in awhile and see how much we had. We were finally able to go again this month (before was 2006) and I paid for our meals with the gift cards.

I feel your pain, although not to that extent. We opened a Chase savings account and were told we had 10 business days to deposit a sum of money in order to get a $200 bonus. I missed the date!! I was so mad at myself. I went to the branch hoping for a sympathetic manager, but she said it was out of her hands. I could just kick myself.

They recently changed their policy that the Redemption Cards no longer expire. While not entirely retroactive, if the Redemption Card is from 2014 you will be okay. That is alot of money to lose and I really hope it works out for you. See the language at the website linked below.

https://disneyrewards.com/faq/

Here is the language:
Do Disney Rewards Redemption Cards expire?
If you were issued a Redemption Card during the calendar years of 2014 and 2015, it may have an expiration on the card so if you have not redeemed all of the Reward Dollars prior to the expiration date on the Redemption Card, you may transfer those Reward Dollars to a new Redemption Card without an expiration date.

Last edited:
They recently changed their policy that the Redemption Cards no longer expire. While not entirely retroactive, if the Redemption Card is from 2014 you will be okay. That is alot of money to lose and I really hope it works out for you. See the language at the website linked below.

Here is the language:
If you were issued a Redemption Card during the calendar years of 2014 and 2015, it may have an expiration on the card so if you have not redeemed all of the Reward Dollars prior to the expiration date on the Redemption Card, you may transfer those Reward Dollars to a new Redemption Card without an expiration date.

Thanks for sharing this! Good to know, and I must have missed that update somewhere along the way.

Riduvall..........thanks for sharing that information. I missed that also and that is great news. I have $700 that I want to convert to a card, but I was reluctant to do so since I did the buying discounted Target cards for Disney cards thing and I forgot I still had the $700 I could use. I think I can use some of them for my airline tickets, but I would still have $350 left. I'm taking my 2 year old grandson with us, so I could easily spend it on him :love2:

That is great to know! I have one with an expiration date of December 2016, I guess I should stop using that and request a new one??

Here is the language:
I was wondering why my points history stopped showing expiration dates. Does that mean you don't have to put it on a card and the points just don't expire???? The ones that show say 2019 and I'm quite confident I will have saved enough to justify a vacation in 2016 or 2017 with my points. DH laughed when I told him my logic of why I was not planning to use them this up and coming vacation.

Here is the language:

I called Visa again this morning citing this new policy. Was told yes it's true they have changed the policy and new redemption cards no longer have an expiration and yes if your card was issued in 2014/2015 you can transfer your points to a new card without an expiration but unfortunately my card was issued in 2013 and does not qualify :( Before I was mad at myself for letting this happen now I'm mad at Chase I really don't think it's fair that they will offer the change to some but not everyone

This stuff makes me so mad:( I have two chase cards but I barely use them because my kids got $250 chase gift cards from an aunt when they were little which I put away for when they needed them. When I went to use them they had lost about $100 each due to monthly fees. I seriously hate Chase. My business went to Amex and Capital One.

I was wondering why my points history stopped showing expiration dates. Does that mean you don't have to put it on a card and the points just don't expire???? The ones that show say 2019 and I'm quite confident I will have saved enough to justify a vacation in 2016 or 2017 with my points. DH laughed when I told him my logic of why I was not planning to use them this up and coming vacation.

I'm not sure why your points history isn't showing expiration dates...but that is completely different than the Redemption Cards having no expiration. Points are good for 5 years from the month posted. Once you transfer those points to a Rewards Redemption Card, they take on the expiration date of the Redemption Card (no expire now). But it looks like the points can/will still expire after 5 years if not transferred.

I'm not sure why your points history isn't showing expiration dates...but that is completely different than the Redemption Cards having no expiration. Points are good for 5 years from the month posted. Once you transfer those points to a Rewards Redemption Card, they take on the expiration date of the Redemption Card (no expire now). But it looks like the points can/will still expire after 5 years if not transferred.
ya I figured so and will have to give them a call at some point to find out what's up.

Just wanted to let you know all your pixie dust worked Chase Visa gave me back my rewards dollars in full!!!
I'm so excited and so relieved I LOVE DISNEY CHASE VISA:love::love::love:

I have been watching this thread hoping you got some good news. I'm so pleased Chase worked this out for you!!!!!! That was a lot of moola.

My card expired less than 4 hours before and I was SOL. I tried to use just after midnight on 12/31 and when I called after it being decline I was told it expired at Midnight EASTERN TIME. I wrongly assumed it would be good until the end of the 12/31 business day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter