Experiences with Cub's Den at WL

Degli

DIS Veteran
I'd like to get some opinions on the Cub's Den at the WL. We were thinking of doing an adults night out while staying this next trip. We are going with another family of 4. Would like to get opinions. My ds is 9, will he be bored? My dd is 6, what is there for her to do? What kind of activities are planned for the kiddies? What are the fees? We've never left our children with complete strangers and I'm a little leary of this. Can anyone calm my worries?

Degli said:
I'd like to get some opinions on the Cub's Den at the WL. We were thinking of doing an adults night out while staying this next trip. We are going with another family of 4. Would like to get opinions. My ds is 9, will he be bored? My dd is 6, what is there for her to do? What kind of activities are planned for the kiddies? What are the fees? We've never left our children with complete strangers and I'm a little leary of this. Can anyone calm my worries?

DS's liked it when they were younger although their favorite was by far, Neverland. Lots of vids for older kids.

Brittany & I did the craft afternoon activities during our stay. The councilors were nice. The center was not large, but very warm and cheerful. It had lots of toys and video games for the older kids.

Does anyone know if they have playstation or the like? My ds could play this for hours.

I want activities if my kids where to go. A little expensive in my opinion to sit in front of a TV.

Cut and Pasted from allears. She did not have specifics for Wilderness though. One report said they enjoyed the "smallness" of the Den better than the big ones at Beach and Poly. She said the Den CM'S seemed to be more dedicated to the kids. I am unsure of activities but would like to know as well.

GENERAL CONDITIONS: The following conditions apply to most Walt Disney World resort hotels' kids' clubs, but are subject to change at any time. Call first if you have any questions or to verify specifics.

Age: Childcare is provided for children over age 4 who are potty-trained, through age 12. Resorts will not make exceptions.

Hours: 4:30 p.m. to midnight, with some exceptions.

Beepers are provided to parents so they can be contacted in case of emergency. (Parents may also call the childcare club to check on their children if desired.)

Price: $10 per hour. Dinner is usually included and is usually typical children's fare, such as peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets and French fries, fruit and ice cream.

Activities offered at the clubs include board games, puzzles, arts and crafts, video games, Disney movies.

Reservations are required in most cases, although walk-ins may be available on a first-come, first-served basis. To make reservations, call 407-WDW-DINE. You may also call some of the resorts directly -- the phone numbers are listed with the resort details below.

Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance, otherwise a fee of $15 per child is assessed. Reservations are held for 30 minutes before they are released to other guests.

My kids loved the Cubs Den, they were 7 and 10 at the time. They did a few different crafts there. To ease your worry, they do keep the kids in the room - my son wanted to go out and play in the sandpile outside the door while he was there but no go. I felt very comfortable. They give you a pager in case of emergency. When we went back to pick the kids up after 4 hours neither wanted to leave.

Any discounts for this service. Ten dollars per hour per child seems so high. This could make for a very expensive evening. Maybe a DVC discount? Anyone?

No discounts that I've ever heard of.
They round to the quarter hour when calculating the fees....
Advanced reservations (thru WDW dining) are taken - there's a fee if you don't cancel w/i 24 hrs. of the date. Wouldn't recommend just walking up that night and expect them to have room if you haven't called in advance.
Have fun - the Clubs get consistently high marks from kids!

$10 doesnt seem high if you factor in the fact that you wont be buying food for your kids that night....they feed them as part of the deal.

my son went to neverland club last year and we have him booked at cubs den this year. He loved neverland and they had several tvs with video game consoles hooked up as well as full size video games when he was there.

We were just there in April, and our DD4 enjoyed the Cub's Den. She was the only child there when we dropped her off at 6 p.m., and there were two CMs. DD4 immediately plopped herself down on the kiddie couch to watch the Disney film they were showing (can't remember which one). DW and I looked around and saw activities (DD4 wound up making a foam picture frame which now has a pic of her w/Goofy in it), computers, games, etc. We didn't get a pager, but then again we were just across the lobby at Artist Point. As for the $10 per hour fee, I don't know what anyone else pays for a babysitter, but we typically pay at least $7-$8 an hour here in our small town. Thus, an extra couple of dollars per hour in a WDW environment where everything is overpriced doesn't seem too excessive. Plus, the Cub's Den allowed my DW, two friends, and me to enjoy a relaxed, slowly-paced meal with two bottles of wine, in addition to the birthday cake I had pre-ordered from the kitchen a few days before for my DW. Bottom line: the Cub's Den is worth it, and I'm no longer leery of leaving our daughter with them given how much she enjoyed it and how well they took care of her.

Is there a club at GF? Would love to eat at VA ... chef's table maybe? but would want DS to be nearby.

Thanks

My DD11 is really keen on going to Cubs Den in July - she really enjoyed Simbas at AKL a couple of years ago. This time we're staying at WL so it seems really convenient. I was wondering if the pagers would work if we went over to PI to try the Adventurers Club (well it is a distance away).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!