expedia cancelled

tiggersgal19

Mouseketeer
Expedia canceled my reservations!!!!!!!!! They say due to the black out period they had to cancel. I allready paid in full. Now I don't have a place to stay! I contacted Disney and they said there is nothing they could do about it. I do have another reservation with disney for the same dates in the same hotel, but they won't honor the same rate! What to do.

When are you going? What rate are you talking about? Did you receive a confirmation from Expedia/

More details would be helpful.

It sounds like you need to be on the phone with Expedia.

Had you already paid? Did Expedia accept your deposit? Have you spoken to a person? I would not accept a refund, or pay more for a room as it is not your fault that they rented something to you that they did not have.

I had a similar situation with Orbitz. I was looking for airfare from Kansas City to Sofia, Bulgaria and found a flight that looked great. Orbitz was trying to sell me a flight that went from KCMO, to New Jersey, Amsterdam, then to Bulgaria. When I called the airline first hand to go ahead and reserve they had no flights from Amsterdam. The reservationist had no idea why Orbitz would try to book me on a flight they didn't have. I wonder if sometimes the websites do things they aren't supposed to do... l believe there is a flight from Amsterdam to Bulgaria, however, it's on Bulgaria Airlines which at least at that time was not a partner of Cont.

I'd definitly call Expedia first hand and see what exactly happened and how they are going to fix it.

Happened to me with a flight one time. They accepted the ressie, put a hold on my c.c., but cancelled before it was actually charged. They said since I was not actually charged they did not have to honor the ressie. In your case, if they charged your card, bump it up as fair as possible until someone covers you. Threaten to call your state AG, your state BBB, your Uncle Vinnie, anyone to let them know you won't take this lying down.

My reservation is for Nov. 11-15. Yes i did get a conformation # , They don't take a deposit, your credit card gets charged the full amount right away. The room was $265. 00 + taxes. I have to call expedia now, to find out why they canceled.

I was given a confirmation #, too. Did they actually charge the amount or just get an approval for the amount? In their small print, they claim the right to reject an offer to purchase--say if you confirmed your purchase, they give you a confirmation number, but it is subsequently rejected before the actual transfer of funds takes place. In that instance, you're toast.

I also had a reservation cancelled through expedia due to black-out dates. They left me a phone message and when I phoned them to find out my alternatives they offered me several other resorts. As a result I got GF lagoon view for the same price as my original resort ($265 + fees and taxes = about $304). I would rather have had my original choice but I think we came out of this deal okay.

I'm surprised they didn't phone you to reschedule. Give them a call.

Yes they did charge my cc for the full amount. My acount has already been send out for this month so I have to pay over $1200.00. And I have to wait 7 days for my acount to be credited. I told him that it took less then 24 hrs to take it out, so it better be back in less then 24hrs. His supervisor said it would be. I doubt it! Iwill call them back on Monday to see if they did. Will also call cc company and complain.Tried to get another resort and they were all sold out. Not that I would even trust them again. The same thing would probably happen again. I will never do business with them again. They said they would give me a $50.00 credited to use in the future, I told them they could put it you know where. They waited 12 days to notify me about no availability. Why didn't they notify me sooner? I then called disney and they found me a room at BC (bat rate) for the same amount. Really wanted to stay at YC. Disney said this happens with expedia all the time! I asked why expedia was able to do this. She couldn't explain! So the moral of this story is don't do business with any one but Disney.:mad:

I have same only different story with using II to exchange pts for a stay at OKW. Took my $ and did not get back to me and come to find out it was a "ghost" room.
Haven't tried to call Disney yet.... might be a good if only to lodge a complaint/get info I can post for others. As you did with the info you got.
Sorry you got messed up, but glad you still get to go!
We will get to go also only NOT onsite... :eek:

Two dumb questions:

1. what are "black out days?"

2. what is a "ghost room?"

Tigger'sgal.........I'm so sorry to hear of your problems w/Expedia but I have to say your story is not the first one I've heard. I'm a travel agent.......have been for 9 1/2 yrs. Cannot beging to count the number of stories I have heard like this in the last 5 or 6 yrs. I work from home not as an independent contractor but when I was in a store front agency before 9/11/01, we had people coming in our office at least once a week complaining about this very same thing!! Also had alot of complaints on the deals that you get in the mail where you can get 3 days at Disney, a 2 day cruise to nowhere and a wknd in Vegas just for going to see this property.....it's timeshare!! Now, in some cases I'm sure it's a good deal......if you don't mind giving up 2 or 3 hrs of your precious vacation time to listen to someone hard sell you on their great property! What these companies do is block space at a certain price and then when it's gone at that price it's gone.......they don't bother to check it before hand. When you work w/a travel agent, we can't accept your money until we have a confirmation the hotel space or cabin space (cruise) is there. If we do then it's our fault and we are responsible for finding the accommodations we promised at the price we promised.

I think you have taken the right direction.....work your way to the top, document the time, date and name of EVERY person you talk to. The more documentation you have, the more likely you are to be believed and get positive results in your favor. THEN next time you want to book a vacation somewhere, call your local travel agent. While it's difficult for us to beat internet rates for airline tickets, we can match or bet ANYTHING the internet providers offer on vacation packages. If you can get a faxed copy sent to you of what you put on hold and take it to a travel agent we will try or best to get the same thing. If you're matching apples to apples, we can meet it. And you are working w/a person in your home town or that you know. In my case, b/c I work from home, all of my business is referrals or repeat business. If I didn't do the very best that I can and didn't take care of my clients 100% of the time w/100% efficiency, I wouldn't have their business again and my reputation would be in jeaporady.

Good luck to you....please let us know how this turns out.

Karen.........aka TN Traveler

tiggersgal19,

Why are you allowing Expedia to refund your money? Was there a clause in your contract with them that allows them to cancel? If not, I would be tempted to tell them that you planned on staying at the Beach Club on the dates booked with them for the price they accepted in the contract. If there is not a room at the BC for that price, then I would look to Expedia to pay the difference in the price they quoted and the price Disney asks. Barring that, I definitely would be looking for more than $50.00 for their breach.

I agree w/jaygatz 100%. Short of a minor tax increase by the govt, rates should not go up once paid for. If they can't honor what they promised you, demand they find they same accommodations at a different resort at the same price.

tiggersgal19--
You have me really nervous now. I also booked through expedia during blackout dates Nov 24 - 27th. When did they contact you and how? e-mail, phone? Please let me know as I am concerned!!:eek:

While it sounds great to "hold" expedia to the fire, the legal contract is written in such a way that all that is going to get you is no place to stay in Disney. Once they inform you they don't have to do anything else (it is somewhere in the millions of detail lines in the contract.)

I have never booked Disney via Expedia the one time I tried it kept showing rooms, but then when you went to book it was "not avaiable". Kind of a bait and switch.

Hey CarolA--I noticed you are from Nashville too!! Welcome to the Dis Boards...

Rileyroosmom....just another perfect example why the internet booking engines aren't all they're cracked up to be. Go directly through Disney or better yet through a travel agent that can answer all your questions.

Originally posted by CaseyJr
Two dumb questions:

1. what are "black out days?"

2. what is a "ghost room?"

1. black out days are days that discounts are not available. For example, Nov 24 to 27 which is around Thanksgiving.

2. I assume that means a room that does not exist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter