Exercise....we hate it...but it is a must

glo

Has a heart bigger then all of
what do you do for exercise? WHat part of your body do you work on the most and what exercise do you think works best on that spot???

I will be doing some water jogging in the pool three times a week, and I just bought 8 min abs and 8 min butts....I heard the videos are pretty good. I know I need some resistance training anyone have any suggestions???

Who is going for a bikini this summer???

I'm not a bikini kind of gal. I never liked them even back when I could wear one. I guess I'm too conservative for a bikini.

My most favorite exercise is roller blading. I just can't wait until it gets warm enough to do it! :) I hate, detest working out with weights, aerobics, or going to a gym. I hate the repetition of it. But in the winter I will alternate between walking and running on the treadmill, although I find this repetitious too. C'mon spring! :sunny:

I use an elliptical trainer and as soon as mother is well enough to be left alone, I will do weight training.

I am doing Tae Bo (tapes) 4 times a week. Once I lose about 10 more lbs, I plan to add Pilates to my workout.

I would love to be able to wear a two piece bathing suit with confidence!!! :) We are cruising in October...so hopefully by then I will have some great new clothes in a single digit size! LOL!!! :)

Kamy

I am reading the book Oprah wrote with her trainer, Bob Greene, the one that was real popular several years ago. His theory on exercising is interesting but discouraging!

He said to kick your metabolism in gear you should exercise in the morning and then it will be higher all day. Also you know the thing that came out not too long ago that exercising 3 days a week is good enough, he says no way. Three days will make you healthier but if you want to burn fat and permanently increase your metabolism you need to exercise a minimum of 5 days a week and preferably 6-7 for 20 min.-1 hr. AND at a high enough intensity that you sweat.

Like I said I thought this was all very interesting but discouraging because I know I don't have it in me to exercise that hard that often.

Liz- you know what I have noticed?? any movement is better than none! I agree...I cannot find it in me to workout that often! I workout 4days a week for 30-40 minutes.......

Just do your best and keep moving! :)

Kamy

Exercise....we hate it...but it is a must

HELLO!!!......

Everything in life....is subject to what our percepection is on it

....be it...work....love/relations.....taxes.....foods/diet.....OR...

.."exercise"......:)....

NOW....let's look at something....just "what" are "we" ???? We'd like to think that we're a commanding and dominating life form on this planet....and in SOME ways .... we are.

HOWEVER....dispite theological matters....our bodies are still subject to the phyical realities that we've come to understand....

...SPECIFICALLY....that in a bodily way...we are still..."just"...physical "animals"......evidence of this can be found in exploring our teeth....what's the percentage of plant eating vs. meat eating teeth in your mouth?....the 'meat eating' are in a clear minority.

SIMILARILY.....our 'animal' bodies....have over the course of the history of our existence on this planet...been accustomed to physical effort.......early in the development of 'civilization'....men and women used their bodies to hunt and gather and cultivate food....build shelter...and do baZillions of things that you and I are no longer required to do....due to "progress".

Long story for a short answer....DO NOT "HATE" exercise....it is as natural to your body as other bodily functions...we have negilected it...ignored it...put it off...the results of which...are VERY un-natural......so....adjust your mindset.....what is 'good' for you...is nothing you should label as something you 'hate'.....your life and it's lenght...may well depend upon this! :)

I just bought a jump rope, and I plan to start using it.
I do tai chi tapes and walking tapes.
I love to swim, but have no access to a pool.
I would rollerblade, but the roads are in very rough shape around here and very sandy.

But I really haven't done much lately, except take the dogs for very long walks.

For the last 3 months I’ve been using walking tapes that came with exercise bands. I’m about ready to move from 1 mile to 2 miles a day. Somehow, I managed to break the bands – first one and then a week later the other! The company is sending me new bands, so for now I’m just walking and doing the arm movements without the bands.

I also have an exercise bike and sometimes I use that when I feel like doing something different.

Originally posted by glo
what do you do for exercise?
I started out just doing yoga and walking. When you're as big as I was, that's almost all that's safe. Over time, I've added to that, so that now, during Summer, I hike, kayak and bicycle to work most days. During the entire year, I do Vinyasa (a more intense yoga), The Firm tapes (with weights), and some treadmill and stationary bike work.
WHat part of your body do you work on the most and what exercise do you think works best on that spot???
I haven't thought about any kind of spot work up to now, since any spot work I would have done would have been obscured by the layer of fat over the muscle. Now that I could actually see the fruits of such labor, I don't really have a desire to focus on any one area, since they're all ripe for improvement.
I know I need some resistance training anyone have any suggestions???
I'm becoming a big fan of The Firm tapes. I've always stayed away from straight weights work since it burns very little calories as compared to cardio-vascular, and my goals have always been focused on calorie balancing. Now, with The Firm, I've found something that contributes to both objectives in a shorter period of time.
Who is going for a bikini this summer???
I think my wife would be concerned if I did. :jester:

Originally posted by kamgen
Once I lose about 10 more lbs, I plan to add Pilates to my workout.
Just out of curiosity, why are you waiting to start Pilates? I was under the impression that that was one of the exercises that had no restrictions per se.

Originally posted by Liz
I am reading the book Oprah wrote with her trainer, Bob Greene, the one that was real popular several years ago. His theory on exercising is interesting but discouraging! He said to kick your metabolism in gear you should exercise in the morning and then it will be higher all day.
There is more and more coming out that supports this. By the same token, wouldn't it make sense that the same would be true if you did your exercise in the evening? However, of course, then you'd be "revved-up" while you were trying to sleep. Hmmm... My wife and I do our Vinyasa class on Tuesday nights -- I wonder if we have a pattern of insomnia that night.

In yoga, there are traditionally different practices for morning and evening, the morning practice being more intense, while the evening being more recuperative.
Also you know the thing that came out not too long ago that exercising 3 days a week is good enough, he says no way. Three days will make you healthier but if you want to burn fat and permanently increase your metabolism you need to exercise a minimum of 5 days a week and preferably 6-7 for 20 min.-1 hr. AND at a high enough intensity that you sweat.
Yeah, well that's one person's view. From what I've read that's a bit more extreme than reality, but only a very little bit more: Perhaps he's just writing to motivate, figuring if he says do 6-7, people will be more likely to do the 4-6 that they really need to do.

The average I've seen from the sources I trust is 3 days per week of cardiovascular, minimum, plus 2 days per week of strength training, minimum. (That's for women. For some reason, it seems as if there is far more information about this for women these days than for men. Grrrrr....) So the aforementioned sweating is 3 days per week, at least 20 minutes in the target heart rate range of 65% - 80%. That translates to at least a 40 minute work-out for me, since you don't just jump up to 65% and you don't go from 65% right into the shower. You need to warm up and cool down.
Like I said I thought this was all very interesting but discouraging because I know I don't have it in me to exercise that hard that often.
That's what I thought too. Do some role-playing with yourself. Imagine that you're 10 years older and you've just gone through a MRI and the neurosurgeon is pointing out all the black spots on your spine, giving the year he anticipates doing the surgery to correct each disc he expects to rupture. You (I think by now you realize I'm talking about myself :) ) say, "How can I prevent this?" He says, "You can't." After you get over the shock, he lets you know that you may be able to delay them by years if you get to a healthier weight and building up your back muscles.

If you aren't worried about degenerative disc disease, insert your favorite weight-related affliction above. Look around at the members of your family and imagine how your chosen affliction will affect them.

And so on...

Of course, actually going through that is an incredible motivator. But it's probably best to avoid it if you could. :) The point is that there is nothing about being diagnosed with DDD that made me better able to exercise -- if anything, the opposite is true. (And if you surf the web and start reading some DDD forums, you'll see what I mean -- I've never encountered a more negative, doom-and-gloom group of folks online.)

I helps to recognize that:

(1) Exercising is as important as eating; if you don't eat anything you know what happens...

(2) Exercise doesn't have to be mind-numbing; there is such a variety of exercises, and myriad ways to engage in them.

I'm going to post a challenge right now.... consider it....

I like to walk. I don't even consider it exercise, I consider it meditation. I just bought a treadmill and am trying to work up my time.

bicker- you can do Pilates without restrictions....I am just choosing ot wait. I would like to focus on the cardio for awhile and then add Pilates later....just part of my plan, that's all! :)

I love Pilates and find it very relaxing as well....

For now, 4 days a week Tae Bo..... :)

Kamy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter