Ex+ sigma apo 170-500mm f5-6.3

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Ljbadfan, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Ljbadfan

Ljbadfan disney fan

im looking at this lens for a longer range. its the EX+ SIGMA APO 170-500MM F5-6.3 d lens for Nikon. can anyone tell me more about it. is this a good lens to get. I have a Nikon 55 to 300mm lens, but want something alittle bigger zoom

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Disneyfreak1987

Disneyfreak1987 Earning My Ears

Sigma makes good lenses, that being said I would check for a refurbished Nikon lens because you will save a ton of money while getting a better quality lens. Now as far as the size lens itself, that is quite a spread any not offer the best shot anymore than 150-200mm spread is too much for any lens to do a great job all of the way through. If is for a general carrying around lens that size would be fine but if you are using it professionally I would consider a smaller spread just because you may have some focus lag. :thumbsup2

4. Ljbadfan

Ljbadfan disney fan

it would be for shooting nature and landscape. like up at the glacier in Alaska.

5. R o y

R o y Earning My Ears

I rented a canon 100-400L lens for my Alaskan cruise, worked out great for me.

6. Pixel Dust

Pixel Dust It's a trap!

I borrowed a friend's Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO. It's big and heavy. I would not want to carry this thing around. I just used it in our room at AKL Jambo. The lens is perfect for that situation. I used it handheld, even though I had a tripod. Just wanted to see how well the optical stabilization worked, and it did the job quite well. As for image quality, it's excellent for everyday use; web, email, printing. But for pixel peeping and poster sizes, it tends to be a bit soft compared to other Nikon lenses. It's not necessarily a deal breaker, unless you were actually looking for pro quality. Also, this lens needs a lot of light. It's not something one would use indoors.

This was at 500mm (no crop) f/8 and 1/60 second.
    [​IMG]

Here is the view from the same spot at 16mm. The zebra was at the closest tree in the center.
    [​IMG]