ever gonna drink Mc'D's Sweet Tea again

Mickey527

DIS Veteran
I have to say I love the stuff. I used to always get it as soon as I got into Fl and they finally brought it up here.
I have never made it myself but today decided to try and make some.
I filled the large cup with hot water and 1 tea bag and let it steep for 10 min. so it would be good and dark. While the tea was steeping I made some simple syrup with 12 tbsp of sugar and hot water until dissolved. I figured I would put in about 1/2 and save the rest for another day in a sealed container.
Well it wasn't as sweet as Mc'D's so I put in the whole amount and it still wasn't as sweet. 12 tbsp and it wasn't as sweet.
Guess I will stick to my regular ice tea and 2 tsp of sugar.

I tried it, loved it and never got another one. I figured that if it tasted that good it had to be loaded with either sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

me too, lol. I had a co worker complain that its too sweet for her too. So I belive there is that much sugar in it. But for some reason even when I make it and put in A LOT of sugar it NEVER tastes like mcd's....dont know why. There has to be a secret to it. Any one a mcd's employee on here that can share info??? :goodvibes

OMG thats a lot of sugar. I personally love their unsweetened tea. The sweetened iced tea is soooo sweet. But I didnt think there would be that many tbsp of sugar in it.

I have weaned myself down to 1/2 and 1/2. I used to down their sweet tea by embarrassing amounts. But now I get "tea, 1/2 and 1/2 w/no ice please" and it lasts me all day. One day I'll get smart and get myself a gallon of 1/2 and 1/2 so I don't have to go through the drive thru every day......I just like to torture myself I guess. :rolleyes1

We live off of sweet tea in the south. Most everyone I know follows this recipe:

I boil water and as soon as it gets to a rolling boil take it off of the stove and steep 2 family size tea bags. Add just a pinch of baking soda. Leave it alone for 10 minutes.

Once it is finished, throw the tea bags away and pour the liquid in a one gallon pitcher, add 2 cups of sugar and fill it on up with cold water then mix well! Obviously let it get good and cold before drinking it! :)

We live off of sweet tea in the south. Most everyone I know follows this recipe:

I boil water and as soon as it gets to a rolling boil take it off of the stove and steep 2 family size tea bags. Add just a pinch of baking soda. Leave it alone for 10 minutes.

Once it is finished, throw the tea bags away and pour the liquid in a one gallon pitcher, add 2 cups of sugar and fill it on up with cold water then mix well! Obviously let it get good and cold before drinking it! :)

I have never heard of baking soda in tea. What is the point of baking soda? Does it taste better? take the bitterness out? Well, that can't be it because it looks like lightly colored sugar water by the time Southerners are finished with it. :lmao:

Seriously, why the baking soda?

I have never heard of baking soda in tea. What is the point of baking soda? Does it taste better? take the bitterness out? Well, that can't be it because it looks like lightly colored sugar water by the time Southerners are finished with it. :lmao:

Seriously, why the baking soda?

Honestly, I have no idea. That's how my mom taught me how to do it. I did forget it one time and it did have a slightly different taste. Maybe it does have something to do with bitterness. Just a tiny pinch, not even half of a teaspoon.

What I gave is a typical southern recipe. It's different from person to person. Some do more/less tea bags and some do more sugar. (notice I didn't say less, lol! We like it sweet!)

ETA: I googled it, it is for bitterness! :)

I am not positive on this, but this is what I was told about 8 months ago by a manager at my local Mickey D's. She said it is 5 gallons of tea mixed with 4 lbs of sugar. She said they do not use any baking soda or anything else. Also, was told that the large size has 750 calories. Needless to say, that was my LAST sweet tea from there.....Chick Fil A as well. :sad2:

I'm from the South, and I make it like this:

4 cups of very hot (almost boiling water)
4 family size tea bags
steep covered for 15 minutes
pour over 3/4 cup sugar
stir at least one minute to dissolve all sugar
add water to bring it up to a gallon
stir again
cool completely in refrigerator
serve over ice with lemon slices
:drinking1

I am not positive on this, but this is what I was told about 8 months ago by a manager at my local Mickey D's. She said it is 5 gallons of tea mixed with 4 lbs of sugar. She said they do not use any baking soda or anything else. Also, was told that the large size has 750 calories. Needless to say, that was my LAST sweet tea from there.....Chick Fil A as well. :sad2:
I try not to drink it, but when I NEED some.... I always mix it half and half with unsweetened. It is still very sweet.

I must admit... I am addicted to sweet tea as well. But, I make it at home using splenda. It is really good!:)

I'm not sure how accurate this article is - McD's doesn't have sweet tea nutrition info on their website. However, it claims there is less sugar in a medium sweet tea than a medium regular Coke (38 g/15 calories for tea vs. 58 g/210 calories for Coke).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/529651/mcdonalds_sweet_tea_review.html?cat=22, FWIW.

I don't like the tea from McD's at all - Chick-Fil-A is a different story, but I get plain, not sweet (blech!).

Help a northerner out:

What's the difference between iced tea and sweet tea? And sun tea? :confused3

Iced tea is just brewed tea, served cold with no sugar in it.

Sweet tea is brewed tea, with sugar added to it, served cold.

Sun tea, is made with a pitcher that you put the bags in the water and set the pitcher on your car (or somewhere in direct sunlight, we always used the car as a kid) and the heat from the sun brews the tea. I LOVED sun tea growing up.

Don't forget what I call "grandma's tea" ... we would add sugar to it and then say "Oops, did I forget the sugar" and add more. Since "grandma" couldn't remember if she added it or not. I can't even drink it that sweet anymore.

For those of you coming into town for a Disney trip, and plan on hitting Publix for some groceries, pick up a gallon of the tea. OMG, it's amazing. I don't drink McDonald's anymore, but between Publix, Chick Fil A, and the Cracker Barrel where I work, I drink enough sweet tea to feed a small army. We even brew some at home ... but I can't make it as yummy as Publix tea.

Sweet tea is a southern staple, I was happy to see McDonalds serve it as I could never get it above the mason dixon line. Tried to order it in ohio at a Bob Evans and another place. Both times they brought a cup of hot tea and some sugar packs. I guess Chik fil a's move into the north probably introduced this and McD is following their lead. Good sweat tea is always boiled with baking soda to even out the flavor and remove bitterness. The amount of sugar you add is "according to taste" and ranges from 1/2 to 2 cups per gallon.

Drew in Ga (formerly of Michigan)

Iced tea is just brewed tea, served cold with no sugar in it.

Sweet tea is brewed tea, with sugar added to it, served cold.

Sun tea, is made with a pitcher that you put the bags in the water and set the pitcher on your car (or somewhere in direct sunlight, we always used the car as a kid) and the heat from the sun brews the tea. I LOVED sun tea growing up.

Don't forget what I call "grandma's tea" ... we would add sugar to it and then say "Oops, did I forget the sugar" and add more. Since "grandma" couldn't remember if she added it or not. I can't even drink it that sweet anymore.

For those of you coming into town for a Disney trip, and plan on hitting Publix for some groceries, pick up a gallon of the tea. OMG, it's amazing. I don't drink McDonald's anymore, but between Publix, Chick Fil A, and the Cracker Barrel where I work, I drink enough sweet tea to feed a small army. We even brew some at home ... but I can't make it as yummy as Publix tea.

This northerner knows the difference between iced, sweet, and sun tea (sorry guys, can't stand sweet tea!), but please tell me- what's a family sized tea bag? We don't have those up here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter