Ever get upgraded from standard at Kidani?

Chloesmom

Mother to Princess Chloe
We are renting points at AKV and there is availability of both standard and savannah studios for our time. I cannot decide or pull the trigger on either . Do they ever upgrade a DVC room when you check in or are you "stuck" with what you have ?

Upgrades with DVC are rare. They usually only happen if the room you were assigned is pulled do to maintenance issues and there are no other open rooms in the same category.

We were upgraded from a value one bedroom to a standard one bedroom. It was a messed up reservation though that had been cancelled one week before our trip even though I had never cancelled. I noticed the cancellation online and called MS to fix it. When we went to check in they had our reservation but did not have the dining plan attached to it (as was booked).

Cash room upgrades are a marketing tool to get you to pay for the nicer room on your next visit.

DVC doesn't gain anything by giving you an upgrade because we are all ready owners.

:earsboy: Bill

Do they ever upgrade a DVC room when you check in or are you "stuck" with what you have ?

if you want a savanna view, book that now.

if you try to upgrade at check-in, they will likely charge the owner extra pts. that will put the owner in a really bad mood that you are trying to scam them or mess with their pts.

as stated, free upgrades don't happen on points stays unless there is some kind of issue and moving you cannot be avoided. timeshare stays are fundamentally different from hotel stays.

We are renting points at AKV and there is availability of both standard and savannah studios for our time. I cannot decide or pull the trigger on either . Do they ever upgrade a DVC room when you check in or are you "stuck" with what you have ?
I don't recall a post saying one was upgraded to Savannah from standard.

DVC upgrades are extremely rare. If you want a savannah view, it's best to book one.

I don't recall a post saying one was upgraded to Savannah from standard.

I was told by the CM at Jambo check in that we had been upgraded from standard to savannah. But that was incorrect. We were in one of the reclassified savannah to standard view rooms. I have seen at least one other report from someone stating they had been upgraded but it also sounded like they were in one of the reclassified rooms. So I wouldn't be surprised about reports of upgrades now and then but I'd be extremely doubtful that it actually was.

I was told by the CM at Jambo check in that we had been upgraded from standard to savannah. But that was incorrect. We were in one of the reclassified savannah to standard view rooms. I have seen at least one other report from someone stating they had been upgraded but it also sounded like they were in one of the reclassified rooms. So I wouldn't be surprised about reports of upgrades now and then but I'd be extremely doubtful that it actually was.
Unless the layout of the standard room is worth it to you I think value to standard is even a downgrade because you have a reasonable chance of actually getting a savannah view with a value.

I think you'll gather from the replies that upgrades are extremely, exceedingly rare in DVC.

Book the view you want and enjoy the trip :goodvibes

In 2009 we were actually upgraded from a std view 2 bed dedicated to a savanna view 2 bed dedicated. But I agree with everyone else. Upgrades are very rare, and we did not ask for it, we lucked out.

We were upgraded from a 2-BR standard to a 2-BR savannah view in August. I have no idea whether it was one of the 'reclassified' savannah view rooms, but I know we could see the animals and it was fantastic. We felt like we totally lucked out. This was late August which I think is a slow time for DVC, but then again maybe the standard 2-BRs were oversold and we were lucky enough to be the ones who were upgraded. But I just wanted to say that it happened for us so it could happen. Though, this was at Jambo House (not Kidani, as you asked about), so I don't know if maybe that makes any difference in the likelihood of upgrades.

We were upgraded from a 2-BR standard to a 2-BR savannah view in August. I have no idea whether it was one of the 'reclassified' savannah view rooms, but I know we could see the animals and it was fantastic. We felt like we totally lucked out. This was late August which I think is a slow time for DVC, but then again maybe the standard 2-BRs were oversold and we were lucky enough to be the ones who were upgraded. But I just wanted to say that it happened for us so it could happen. Though, this was at Jambo House (not Kidani, as you asked about), so I don't know if maybe that makes any difference in the likelihood of upgrades.
The reclassified rooms in Jambo House are located in places where the savanna view is limited or partially blocked. If your room was right next to an exterior emergency exit stairway, in or near an inner corner where a hallway spur meets the main hallway or near one of the fences that separate one savanna from another then your room was likely a reclassified room.

I'm maintaining a list of reclassified rooms. If you remember the room number and send it to me via PM, I'll add it to the list if it appears to fit the criteria.

I'm maintaining a list of reclassified rooms. If you remember the room number and send it to me via PM, I'll add it to the list if it appears to fit the criteria.

Hi LisaS, I'm sorry - I have no idea what our room number was. We might have been in a reclassified room - we were about halfway down the spur hallway; then again, we passed some rooms along the way so we definitely weren't in the corner.... Either way didn't matter to us, it was awesome that we 'paid' standard points and got to see lots of zebra, giraffe, cranes, etc.! :thumbsup2

We had a standard 1 bedroom at Kidiani last August, to me it was a front Savannah view. We were to the left of the entrance on the front side past the pool, where the savannah wraps around to the front. The only animals that did not come to this area were giraffe and zebras. We saw tons of animals every day, about 7-8 different kinds. It was a great surprise.:thumbsup2

As others have stated, upgrades are rare but they do sometimes happen.

Back in November of 2009, we decided to do a family reunion and booked 4 two bedroom standard view rooms at Kidani for everyone (26 people including kids). When we checked-in, all four rooms had been upgraded to savanna view. It was a wonderful surprise for everyone since we only had enough points for standard view. They never gave a reason for the upgrade, but we felt that the pixie dust was definitely there for that trip and everyone had a wonderful time.pixiedust:

We had a standard 1 bedroom at Kidiani last August, to me it was a front Savannah view. We were to the left of the entrance on the front side past the pool, where the savannah wraps around to the front. The only animals that did not come to this area were giraffe and zebras. We saw tons of animals every day, about 7-8 different kinds. It was a great surprise.:thumbsup2

I've heard about those rooms, they sound great for standard views. :goodvibes For those who may not know, that area where the pool meets the savanna was reclassified as standard view sometime in the last couple years. Seems too many folk were complaining that it was not a full savanna view and not worth the sv points.

Also, folks considering trying for these rooms should note that the ever popular zebra and giraffe are not on that savanna, but on the other side of the building inside Kidani's 'mickey ears'. To see them from your room at Kidani you must have a true sv room and be located on that side of the building.

Unless the layout of the standard room is worth it to you I think value to standard is even a downgrade because you have a reasonable chance of actually getting a savannah view with a value.

I agree that when Value is available then it's a very good option for low points and the chance of the savannah view. If not available then standard view at Jambo is not bad either because that will be either pool view or a partial savannah view and no concerns about getting a parking lot view.

My standard view studio at Kidani was in that area. :thumbsup2

Coincidentally I've booked Standard view studios at AKV twice, and only since the reclassification of rooms to include the partial/poor savannah views into the standard category. And both of my standard views were the reclassified rooms. At Jambo it was only a 1 night stay and of course I really was hoping for the pool view and shorter walk! :upsidedow

We had a standard once that had a view of the animals.... the animals getting off the buses coming back from the theme parks!! It was almost more fun watching people than it was animals.

For our family, we are totally fine being in the standard view. If we want to look at the savannah it's easy to head to one of the observation areas in the resort.

Just this past September we had booked a standard studio and were pixie dusted and ended up with a savannah view studio!!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter