Ever get home & feel like you need a do-over?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by sweetpee_1993, Jun 8, 2013.

1. sweetpee_1993

sweetpee_1993 DIS Veteran

That's me. Got home from our Fantasy Western a week ago and started feeling like I needed a do-over before we ever got off the ship.

I started with sore throat on embarkation day. Ended up sick the entire cruise. Thank God for OTC antibiotics in Mexico. Hubby & oldest son got a nice case of some stomach thing or maybe food poisoning on the 5th night that they have finally gotten over in the past couple days. Not sure what they had or where they got it. Could've been from food, drink, or activities in ports. Could've been from food or germs on ship. No idea. Haven't heard back from doctor's office on hubby's lab results. On the way from the port to Orlando we got a call from the pet resort where we boarded our little dog that she was sick, too. When it rains it pours, huh?

We had fun and did some great stuff in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel. Having 3 ports in a row with things planned for each was exhausting, tho. I think even without being sick it would've been tiring.

Just getting thru 2nd seating dinner was brutal. Hubby & I both got to the point where we'd ask for a simple salad then we were ready to go. Just couldn't enjoy the meals this time. Felt like I was focused entirely on fueling my body to get well. I really had no desire to eat. Mostly I just wanted coffee and hot tea. Or water. We saw no adult shows. We were in bed early every night.

We didn't do any of the adult areas during the day because we were resting or doing things with 2 of the 4 teens in our family/group. 2 of the 4 hated Vibe. We had fun with them so I won't complain there. My son being 17 & my niece 16, I know our opportunities to "hang out" w/them are limited.

Castaway Cay was a total bust. I'm still not sure how we even got in! It rained all day long. It was super windy. Rained sideways a good bit. We never left the ship. Kinda stunk looking off the verandah at a rainy, windy paradise. Being sick already , going out in the weather didn't feel like the thing to do. In fact, at Cabanas lunch that day hubby & I both agreed we were ready to be at home.

The cruise itself was great. Our lack of enjoyment was due to circumstances Disney has no control over. Other than Vibe, the cruise itself was great. Bad luck, I guess. We've had 4 amazing DCL voyages before this one. I suppose we needed to pay our dues, huh? LOL!

I've decided that people who say "A bad day on vacation is better than a good day at work/home" haven't been sick enough on vacation. LOL!

So I need a do-over. Before this cruise hubby & I were undecided what to do in September for our 20th anniversary. Not a problem now. We're doing our Fantasy do-over sans our teens. We left too much undone on the ship. Flights & hotel are booked and paid. Now we're waiting patiently to see if some *GT rates roll out. Think we'll not book a bunch of excursions before the cruise. I think there's a lot to be said for keeping it spontaneous. :)

So has anyone else ever had a cruise that happened without you? Anyone have any do-over tales to tell???

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MissDaisyofTexas

MissDaisyofTexas DIS Veteran

Oh no! That sucks to be sick on your cruise! :(

4. disneypoor

disneypoor DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey! DVC Gold

I'm so sorry!:grouphug: It sounds like you definitely need a do-over, and September will be wonderful! We have been so lucky on all of our DCL cruises. We've sailed 8 times, never missed CC, and have never been sick. We're also sailing in September sans kids for our 20th anniversary, and I probably just jinxed it, huh?;)

We have dealt with terrible sea sickness on one of our cruises (actually, my hubby and kids loved the swaying, but I was so sick I almost wanted to be thrown overboard and finished). It is miserable when you don't feel good!

I hope September brings wonderful health and weather for you so you can enjoy yourselves!

Susan

5. Lucijoy

Lucijoy Earning My Ears

So sorry you had a miserable trip. That stinks, but I'm glad you have a good outlook about it and that you get a "do over" so soon! We were afraid we'd have a struggle on our cruise on the Dream in May. We were traveling with my parents (in their 70s) and Dad got what we think was food poisoning on the trip down. We stayed in PC the night before and prayed as much as slept that night! Fortunately the symptoms were gone the next morning but he was really weak and had very little appetite for the first day and a half. He rallied though and we all had a great time.

6. jahber

jahber DIS Veteran

That stinks! We've been lucky so far, but I did spend the first sea day of my last cruise (not DCL, though) seasick. The winds were 45+mph hitting us broadside. I spent the day in bed, but actually I found it kind of relaxing. When's the last time I got to spend a whole day doing nothing but reading and sleeping? The nausea was brutal, but like you, I chose to look on the bright side. Of course, it was only one day--your family suffered much longer and I applaud your positive attitude! And hooray for a do-over! I have my eye on the September cruises. We WILL be on one of them, if I have anything to say about it ;)

7. EDelashmit

EDelashmit Lover of anything Disney

I keep wondering when that will happen to us...we've been so lucky on all of our trips.

Great that you get a do over soon!

8. shaned

shaned Mouseketeer

Sweetpee sorry you were sick. DH and I would like a do over from our Oct 13 sailing on the Magic. Not bad weather or sickness :sad2:, just didn't do or see as much on the ship as we would like. There was a lot of naps taken :lmao:. But we do have a cruise booked for October 2014 on the Fantasy :dance3:

9. wehavesix

wehavesix DIS Veteran

Not for a cruise but on a trip to wdw. On the second day of our trip, I fell down the outside steps in the Mexico part of the world showcase. Shattered my tib/fib and spent the next 3 days in FL hospital having 2 rods and screws put in my leg. It was a nightmare! We did a do over trip about 7 months later.

I'm sorry you had such rotten luck on your cruise. I hope y'all can get a do over soon!

10. jenf22

jenf22 DIS Veteran

So sorry Kelly! We're on the 14-Sep Western. Come with us!

What excursions did you guys do?

11. iloverags2

iloverags2 DIS Veteran

I think you guys just might see each other again! ;)

12. PizzieDuster

PizzieDuster DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you are sailing again! You have a great attitude! :thumbsup2

Only had family members get sick on the last morning. My teen son was so sick. Yup, I saw the astronauts that last morning.

The sailing I took with my mom and nephew5, he got so sick she and he were the last ones to leave the ship. She couldn't leave the restroom with him. DCL was wonderful to her and security was in constant contact with us at the curb. They let her wait until there was a tiny line at immigration. I felt so bad for my mom. It had been such a wonderful time, but it was sooo stressful for her that last morning. She ran out of underwear, had to make do in the lobby bathroom. She was in tears when she exited. But it was soon forgotten...weeks later :rotfl: We got separated in the debark line. I told her to go ask the security if she could bypass the line, he had ... you know what. (we were in Mexico) and they said the best thing for her was to go back onboard and wait. I never saw her go back on board. My cell phone was dead. Security was great at letting my brother know where they were as he was waiting curbside. I never knew this until I grabbed the luggage and meet my hubby and my brother curbside. Although, I'll never forget seeing my mom walk out with my nephew in tears...I think we need a do over too ;)

O/T rant: Can I just add that I told my Sister In Law to pack at LEAST 14 pairs of underwear...2 each day at least. She sends him with 7. My mom was washing his undies throughout the cruise. Ugh.

I totally understand the 3 in a row excursion feeling. :thumbsup2

13. Timon

Timon DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Yup our do-over will be in November! :cool1:

On our last cruise in 2009, all three of us came down with the flu (H1N1?) and it was horrible. Hubby was sick almost immediately after boarding (must have caught something at WDW the week before) and he slept for 3 days! Then my little girl got sick, then me. I didn't even SEE St Thomas except for a quick glimpse through our porthole when I found the energy to drag myself outta bed.

We managed to have some fun (not much!) but it was a really tough week.

I am crossing my fingers and toes (and every other part of my body :lmao:) that we are all healthy this cruise. :thumbsup2

Now, I keep having these nightmares that we are all fine on the cruise but bad things keep happening to us to make our cruise really crappy :rolleyes2 :scared: :lmao:

14. Jillpie

Jillpie Can you package some Main St. music and send it to

And you STILL managed to give us a fantastic trip report!! Boy we all felt for you that week. :scared1: oh hi Cass!:wave2: have I told you we had a great time on the Dream in April?! Sure did. But reaaaaly missed the classics, especially the adult pool. You know we are all soooo excited for your upcoming trippie, for sure. Sorry OP! Didn't mean to hijack.

15. erinfarber

erinfarber Mouseketeer

I am so glad to hear we were not the only cruisers that needed a do -over.

We also sailed on the May 25Th Fantasy cruise . We are now 2 for 2. We tried to take this cruise (Western) last year in early August, the night before we were to sail, we were re- routed to an Eastern itinerary due to hurricane Ernesto. All excursions that were planned are cancelled and we now have no idea what to do for the Eastern ,and no time to plan.
    This year my husband became sick ( upper respiratory infection...BAD) on day 3. Day 1 and 2 were great, both sea days. Day 3 husband gets sick. That would be the day I have scheduled the stingray adventure , 2 years in a row now, still have not been able to participate in this excursion. Day 4- husband still sick, it is now Costa Maya. We are quarantined to our room. Day 5 Cozumel - Husband tries so hard to make the excursion I have planned. He made it for about 2 hours, and back to the room we go. Day 6- sea day. We sat on the pool deck for a few hours and back to the room once again. OK, now it is day 7, Castaway Cay, hubby is feeling a bit better. He is definitely going to Castaway Cay , his theory is , I can just sit back and relax at Serenity Bay, all is good right? NO, It rained all day long. 2 years in a row; our only 2 Disney cruises, and we have yet to experience Castaway Cay.
    Our do over is scheduled for May of 2014, hoping for the best. I am determined to see the Western Caribbean!

16. jenbeloco

jenbeloco Earning My Ears

I am convinced that the ice cream machines are to blame. No one there is handing out the wipes before you use it. We were on the Fantasy in April 2012 on the 2nd sailing and about 11 of the kids got norovirus.

17. cleophus12

cleophus12 DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you were sick on your vacation, but this post is so interesting to me because I told my family when we returned home that of all the vacations we've ever taken, our Fantasy Eastern 5/18-25 is the one vacation I wish we could do over. No one was sick--not physically, anyway. But DD (20) had just broken up with her boyfriend of 2 years, and she just wasn't herself on this trip. The whole break up thing was like a dark cloud hanging over our whole trip. I know I sound ungrateful about taking such a wonderful vacation, and I don't mean to, but if I could do it over again (with the boyfriend behind us), I surely would.

18. STLDisney_Freak

STLDisney_Freak I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH

We were also on the May 25. Except for the rain in Costa Maya everything was great up till after we did the beach at Conzumel and then my daughter and I got severe sunburns even with putting sunscreen on. So dinner on Cozumel day was horrible. Our pirate photos are horrible. I missed the last show because all I wanted to do is lay in bed.

Sent from iPhone

19. livie1205

livie1205 DIS Veteran

YES!! And we booked one!! We went on the dream and made the mistake of going with a group, NEVER AGAIN:( it was us ( 2 adults , 3 kids) a friend , her dd6 , my dh brother ( that i cant stand and WAS dating the friend) 2 other childless friends and BOTH MILs! Lol that pretty much says it all... We will never ever travel with anyone else.

20. mom2aredhead

mom2aredhead DIS Veteran

I have a VERY long standing no-one-else-comes-on-our-vacation-with-us-EVER rule that is strictly enforced, with some (not all) nieces/nephews being an exception since my son is an only child and sometimes it works out better for him to have someone with him. I love my family. I love my vacations. Most importantly, I love them separately.

21. tchrrx

tchrrx <font color=red>Blame it on the plastic cow I ment

I agree! I was very surprised that people were just grabbing cones and touching the machines without sanitizing. I also noticed (several times) that people were filling up personal drink bottles at the drink stations without using the disposable cups. I even saw someone fill a cup with water, drink it, and refill it without leaving the line. There were no CMs near any of the machines that I can remember.

(BTW- I was also on the May 25 Fantasy. Thankfully, other than a touch of seasickness on Pirate Night, none of us were ill.)