Euros, Euros & more Euros

I wish I had the Capital One c/c. That would make things easier. Since my cards will add the 3% foreign transaction fee to my purchases, I'm planning on using them only for a major purchase if one arises - like the leather jacket I'd like to pick up in Florence :cloud9:

I'm also pretending that the VAT is just an urban legend :lmao:

Keep in mind that the 3% charge that you are going to incur on your credit card will probably still make it cheaper to use your credit card than exchange US dollars for Euros at your bank.

Additionally, you will find GREAT leather jackets in Florence. My wife and I both got one and even with the VAT, they were cheaper and nicer than anything that you can get in the US.

One last thing...don't forget to use your credit card when you purchase pottery in Orvieto! :thumbsup2

I keep having a dream where our plane back to the US is towing a u-haul to carry all my purchases. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
It's going to be like Christmas at home when all the boxes start arriving :santa: :santa:

Is that like when the UPS truck has to haul the little UPS trailer behind it? Because that could totally happen! :goodvibes

Is the VAT refundable on all purchases or only those over a certain $ value?
I thought I read somewhere that item value had to be at least a certain amount.
I'd love it if it was refundable on ALL my purchases. :)

When I went on over to the Emrald Aisle, there was soooooooooooo mush confusion about the VAT from my adventure group members so yes, it does pay to read up on the VAT and understand its ins and outs.:goodvibes

Yes, the VAT is good for people who spend a lot of money on certain items and yes it is wise to keep receipts.

-----------------------------
ex:

Ireland Value Added Tax
In most cases,from 1.1.2010 the standard VAT in Ireland is 21%.
There is a reduced rate of 13.5%.
VAT is charged on assets and services in Ireland as well as on imports into Ireland.
The minimum turnover for registering with the VAT authorities is EUR 37,500 (for services) and EUR 75,000 (for goods).
VAT returns are made once every two months. In certain cases, it is possible to make a return once a year.

Ireland Transactions that are Exempt from VAT
The following products and services are exempt from VAT:

Export.
Health and medical services.
Children's clothing.
Insurance and banking services.
Food.
Agricultural fertilizers.

Bottom line - enjoy your vacation and have fun:goodvibes.

T.T.F.N.

Most vendors will ship items home to the U.S. We took advantage in Sorrento and were quite pleased we did not have to lug all our "treasures" with us all over Italy. One thing that the vendors pointed out is that we would have to pay an "import Fee" that amounted to about $30.00. It was worth every cent for the conveinence. Some of those inlay furniture and large platters are impossible to safely carry with you. Secondly when you are at the airport to turn in your Vat tax item ask before going through security. We found out the hard way that we were suppose to have the paper stamped outside security and if you think going back through security was worth the Vat than in my opinion it was not. Hope it helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter