ESPN or Big River Grille???

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by 3Miracles, Apr 23, 2013.

1. robinb

robinb DIS Veteran

We enjoy sports bars, but there is nothing for my vegetarian DD to eat at the ESPN Club. We went with some friends in December and we had to beg for plain pasta for my DD. Honestly, it was "touch and go" whether they would do it for us and then they charged us $15 for the pleasure :rolleyes1. We are owners at BWV and I don't think we'll be back there unless there is a game we want to watch. Big River Grill, OTOH, has plenty for my DD to eat and more than just burgers, wings and fries for my DH and I. Given the choice again, I would choose Big River.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

This is a good point on variety. When we go, we are always a big group. Ranging in age from anywhere between 5-65. Everyone finds something there they like. And as someone else mentioned, seating right on the boardwalk cannot be beat!

4. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

We like ESPN. Good food and a fun atmosphere if there's a good sporting event on. You also don't need an ADR.

5. 2012DisneyWorldBride

2012DisneyWorldBride <font color=royalblue>I was a Disney Bride on 12.8

No ADRs needed for Big River Grille... Most we have ever waited for a table was like 10 mins... The buzzers work in the shop next door too. :)

6. JanB

JanB DIS Veteran

Actually, Big River Grille doesn't even take ADRs. At least that's what I was told a month or so ago.

7. winthropf

winthropf Mouseketeer

It can depend on the day of the week. If sporting events like football or sports playoffs are going on, it will probably be less crowded at Big River.

8. Ro Z

Ro Z DIS Veteran

I love that too. But w/o the sauce. IMO ESPN is a place with decent food and you can hang around for a while. BRG is a place with pretty good food ( love the nachos) but I feel like it is a more eat and leave place. Not that I have ever felt like I was rushed out exactly, but at ESPN with the TVs I just feel like I can linger if I want to. We go to both just about every time! The menu is bigger at ESPN. But not necessarily better! Neither place takes reservations but if you get a BR rewards card you can get front of the line priority seating. Plus birthday rewards.

9. xipetotec

xipetotec DIS Veteran

No, but on the actual day, you can call ahead and make reservations.

10. JanB

JanB DIS Veteran

That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

11. sharadoc

sharadoc Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving

We've done both and we are okay with them. We prefer the outdoor seating and the Red Rocket Ale at Big River Grille. The kids meals are really good too. ESPN is a little busier and can be noisy and distracting with all the giant TV screens. I think the food is fine, but nothing special or different from what you can get anywhere. At least at BRG there's some atmosphere there. It's one of our favorite things to do at dusk, either dinner or drinks and snacks. Yacht and Beach Club are just getting lit up across the water, Spaceship Earth is off on the horizon, and the fun lights are strung all across the Boardwalk. Makes me wish I was sitting there right now.

12. mouseclick1

mouseclick1 DIS Veteran

We have eaten at ESPN many times and have always been satisfied with our meal as well as the service. We have eaten twice at Big River, and were very disappointed both times. We did not like the food, and the service was very slow even though there was hardly anyone in the place. I have no interest in returning.