Escaping Snowy New England for Freezing Florida Feb 2015 Final Hours 11/17 p. 23

I totally agree about the train ride. Especially in the heat the Kings Cross station has A/C and is inside!! We attempted to eat at 3 Broomsticks and the girls saw the menu and started complaining...FINE...and we moved on. Sorry Gringotts was down, along with the finger scans :sad2:

I think we were seated with an annoying family on the train. Mark doesn’t like it when a family or group sits on different sides of the train car, closest to the window. He thinks that family groups should be on the same side, 4 in a row, so you are not sitting next to strangers. I think they talked through most of the ride. “Look, there’s Hagrid” “Hedwig’s flying!”
I have to agree with Mark. That family was rude to take both sides of the window.

We were directed to a line, behind a totally clueless family. They had purchased the meal plan and the house elf at the order station had to explain, and explain again (and again) what was covered and what was not. We were waiting an uncomfortable amount of time behind them. When we noticed a counter near us about to clear, I looked over at the house elf who was directing traffic and indicated I was changing lines. She nodded.
We had this happen at BOG for lunch. The CM directed us to stand behind a clueless family at a self-service kiosk. After standing there forever a CM finally noticed that we hadn't moved and switched us to a live cashier. I was thinking that someone should have gone over to help that family, since those kiosks are confusing, especially with the dining plan.

Except this morning we were in line at the turnstiles at least 30 minutes. The fingerprint recognition does not work well in the cold and the Universal Team Members do not know how to deal with the issue. Everyone in line behind someone having problems has to wait until the issue gets resolved.
Oh boy... this just looks brutal. I can't believe the line already!

We finally got in and headed to Forbidden Journey. I didn’t record the wait time but by the time we were done, it was well past 9, the regular opening for both parks
Yuck. Definitely puts a damper on getting there early.

When we arrived at the Studios, the entry lines were so long that they directed us to the side entrance, near the lockers. Where AGAIN we waited way too long as people were having problems with their finger scans.
This is just ridiculous! I haven't been to US in a few years, but I've never experienced these types of headaches getting in the park!

We got into the line and after about 15 minutes, announcements started about a disruption in bank security, or something like that, and they would try to get back to normal operations as soon as possible

We were in the bank lobby at this point, and the bright side was that we were not moving so it was possible to get a lot of pictures.
Oh no. At least you could put a positive spin on it.

The not-so-bright side was that we were not moving, so we were in debate about whether we should continue to wait in line. I think we stuck it out for another 15-20 minutes and then we decided to bail.
I don't blame you. You've spent enough time waiting in lines already.

In my notes, I wrote “Rude Photo Girl” from our time in the line. I can’ remember exactly who this was or what she was doing, but it was probably a good story.
Must not have been that good of a story if you can't remember it!

As you exit the train, you see this “horseless carriage” You may recall from the movies that these carts are actually pulled by Thestrals, but a person can only see them if they have witnessed death.
No. I don't recall. But sounds interesting. I'll take your word for it!

I think that first family is still in line trying to figure out why Butterbeer is a snack and not a drink.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: And don't even try to explain the alcohol content to them!

I totally agree about the train ride. Especially in the heat the Kings Cross station has A/C and is inside!! We attempted to eat at 3 Broomsticks and the girls saw the menu and started complaining...FINE...and we moved on. Sorry Gringotts was down, along with the finger scans :sad2:

It wasn't too bad waiting in line at the Kings Cross station. The A/C was not needed in Feb :laughing: but there was a lot to look at. There was a snack place selling drinks, fruit and some other things while we were waiting in line. We thought that was pretty clever. I don't think it was open, or I don't remember, when we were there in August.

We all like 3 Broomsticks, but prefer Leaky Cauldron.

Lots seemed to be going wrong or wasn't working- the turnstiles, the train from Hogsmeade to Kings Cross, Gringotts. Oh, and the dragon was not breathing fire much either.

:sad2:

I have to agree with Mark. That family was rude to take both sides of the window.

We have been on the train, going in both directions, a few times. Once, we were alone in the train car. Every other time, another family or group has entered the train car first, and ended up sitting across from one another instead of side by side.

:headache:

We had this happen at BOG for lunch. The CM directed us to stand behind a clueless family at a self-service kiosk. After standing there forever a CM finally noticed that we hadn't moved and switched us to a live cashier. I was thinking that someone should have gone over to help that family, since those kiosks are confusing, especially with the dining plan.

They seriously need separate lines at Universal and Disney for people who know what they are doing, and people who do not!

:idea:

Oh boy... this just looks brutal. I can't believe the line already!

Yuck. Definitely puts a damper on getting there early.

This is just ridiculous! I haven't been to US in a few years, but I've never experienced these types of headaches getting in the park!

The turnstiles and entry into the parks that week was just torturous! I really do think the cold weather had a lot to do with it. The truly annoying thing is that the Team Members just don't have a way of dealing with the hold up in line when someone's finger scan doesn't work. They just keep trying, again and again, "use another finger" "press down" "not so hard"

Then if they can't get it, they need to show ID and reset the person's finger scan.

While we all wait.

:sad2:

Fortunately, things were MUCH better in August, which leads me to believe my theory about the cold weather.

:scratchin

Oh no. At least you could put a positive spin on it.

Yup! Some of my favorite pictures of the goblins in the bank lobby are from that long wait.

:goodvibes

I don't blame you. You've spent enough time waiting in lines already.

That's always the dilemma. How much time are you willing to put in to waiting for a ride to resume, when you have absolutely no idea when it will start up again?

:confused3

Must not have been that good of a story if you can't remember it!

What story?

:rotfl2:

No. I don't recall. But sounds interesting. I'll take your word for it!

Or, I can give you a more detailed, but perhaps equally confusing explanation.

What is your Harry Potter exposure? Movies? Books? Neither?

In the first movie, first year students are taken from the train station to Hogwarts castle by boat.

In other years, the students are taken by carriages with seemingly nothing pulling them. Actually hey are being pulled by darked winged horselike creatures called Thestrals. After he witnesses the death of his godfather, Harry can now see them. Luna Lovegood explains that they can only be seen by people who have witnessed death.

:wizard:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: And don't even try to explain the alcohol content to them!

Good one!!!

::yes::

Hi Dee, can't believe I just saw your report! Enjoying reading it!!

:welcome:

So glad you are here.

Now, I can't remember if you have been to Universal, you plan to visit sometime down the road or if you are all Disney-all the time.

:goodvibes:

What is your Harry Potter exposure? Movies? Books? Neither?

In the first movie, first year students are taken from the train station to Hogwarts castle by boat.

In other years, the students are taken by carriages with seemingly nothing pulling them. Actually hey are being pulled by darked winged horselike creatures called Thestrals. After he witnesses the death of his godfather, Harry can now see them. Luna Lovegood explains that they can only be seen by people who have witnessed death.
Ok... yeah, I've seen the first movie. That's it.

That's a shame so many attractions were down. I hope you were eventually able to ride Gringotts. That picture of Ben in the bank lobby is really cute!

The great feast at Three Broomsticks appears to be a healthier option in dining at Universal. I wish Disney would come up with something like that for a family at a quick service.

It's really surprising to me that they can't figure out the fingerprint situation in the cold. I know that it doesn't normally get very cold in Florida, but you'd still think that they'd have a procedure in place just in case...

I love the pictures from Gringotts! If you're going to get stuck in line, at least you got stuck somewhere with a lot to see. (Although not getting stuck at all is even better). Sorry to hear you didn't get to ride it again, that's a bummer.

Those crowds in Hogsmeade look as bad as they were when I was there in 2011 ... aka shortly after it opened. Insane!

Okay, so I'm all caught up but there's simply too much to comment on....at least individually. Good girl for going to the hospital before your health deteriorated even further.

It sounds like Universal needs to figure out a solution to the whole "it's so cold that the finger scans don't work" situation.

I think that I mentioned a while back that I've finally seen all of the Harry Potter movies so I now know what I am looking at in your pictures.

We have been to Universal and love it there.

Universal is a really great park for our family at this point in time, with our two teens, especially with Ben riding practically everything now.

:thumbsup2

Ok... yeah, I've seen the first movie. That's it.

That's fine for now, but when those cute little kids of yours get a little older, you must introduce them to Harry Potter's world. Preferably the books, and if you read them too, so much the better. The story is just incredible!

:wizard:

That's a shame so many attractions were down. I hope you were eventually able to ride Gringotts. That picture of Ben in the bank lobby is really cute!

The great feast at Three Broomsticks appears to be a healthier option in dining at Universal. I wish Disney would come up with something like that for a family at a quick service.

We did get onto Gringott's again on that trip, and rode it a few more times in August. I like the ride more and more each time I ride.

The family style meal is a really good option. The amazing thing is that the potatoes and vegetables are really tasty- not just an afterthought- and even the corn on the cob is ok. We are corn snobs- most restaurants don't prepare corn that is enjoyable.

They do have some "healthy" things at some Disney quick serve places like Sunshine Seasons and the roast chicken at Cosmic Rays, but you are correct, nothing for a family to share. Although sometimes the meals at Disney are so big that I suggest splitting.

::yes::

It's really surprising to me that they can't figure out the fingerprint situation in the cold. I know that it doesn't normally get very cold in Florida, but you'd still think that they'd have a procedure in place just in case...

I love the pictures from Gringotts! If you're going to get stuck in line, at least you got stuck somewhere with a lot to see. (Although not getting stuck at all is even better). Sorry to hear you didn't get to ride it again, that's a bummer.

Those crowds in Hogsmeade look as bad as they were when I was there in 2011 ... aka shortly after it opened. Insane!

The finger scan thing was RIDICULOUS! Thankfully, it was much better in August.

The bank lobby was a good place to be stuck, if we had to be. But enough was enough!

It doesn't take many people in Hogsmeade to make it feel crowded. Most of the time we are there is during early opening, so at least we get some time there where we have some elbow room. I can't deal when it is that crowded. On our first trip, we experienced the "spell limits"- they only let in a certain number of people. Unfortunately, Ben and I left while Mark and Nate stayed and they weren't going to let us in to meet them. Until a kind Team member took pity and snuck us in early.

Okay, so I'm all caught up but there's simply too much to comment on....at least individually. Good girl for going to the hospital before your health deteriorated even further.

It sounds like Universal needs to figure out a solution to the whole "it's so cold that the finger scans don't work" situation.

I think that I mentioned a while back that I've finally seen all of the Harry Potter movies so I now know what I am looking at in your pictures

This is not typical for me to see a doctor outside of my annual appointments, but I knew that something was wrong and it was better to be safe than sorry.

Good for you for seeing all of the movies. I have heard that even people who have not seen or read Harry Potter like the two areas in Universal/IoA, but the details are much more meaningful if you "get it"

But do we still need to get you up-to-speed on Star Wars???

:chewy: :darth: :yoda:

I haven't checked back in awhile! Getting so excited! Only 5 days!

Hope you let us know how your trip was when you are back!

:goodvibes

Last edited:
Yes m'am! I haven't seen a single Star Wars movie and I'm pretty sure that I never will. Just not into that kind of stuff but I said that same thing about Harry Potter. :teeth:

Yes m'am! I haven't seen a single Star Wars movie and I'm pretty sure that I never will. Just not into that kind of stuff but I said that same thing about Harry Potter. :teeth:

Not to say "I told you so", but I'm glad you liked the Harry Potter movies. And the Star Wars ones (at least the first 3 movies, Episodes 4, 5, and 6) are great. I actually don't think I cared for the first Star Wars the first time I saw it, but I really like those movies after repeat viewings.

you wrote that the AP were just $20 more than the 4 day ticket at $220? i thought that the AP was $700?

you wrote that the AP were just $20 more than the 4 day ticket at $220? i thought that the AP was $700?

:welcome: to this trip report!

These prices are for Universal tickets.

The 4 day park-to-park adult tickets are currently $214.99 per person.

There are 3 levels of annual passes at Universal:

Power Pass $239.99 (which is what we got)
Preferred Pass $334.99
Premier Pass $479.99

:charac4: :wizard:

We left the crowded Wizarding World and entered Jurassic Park.

DSCF5920%202_1.jpg

Nate wanted to do a photo shoot in this land. Most of the time we had been there in the morning, around 9:30 or 10 and the sun was blazing, preventing decent pictures.

I was happy to oblige, and joined him in taking a few shots in the Jurassic Park Discovery Center.

DSCF5922.jpg

DSCF5923.jpg

DSCF5925.jpg

DSCF5927.jpg

This is the view you get of the theme park from the back of the Discovery Center

DSCF5926.jpg

You may recall that Jurassic Park River Adventure was under refurbishment while we were there (why couldn’t it have been Bluto’s?), so after our pictures were finished we continued on.

The next land opening in Islands of Adventure is going to be Skull Island (Summer 2016) featuring King Kong. Here is progress in February

DSCF5929.jpg

And look at the progress we were able to see on our recent August trip.

DSCF8511.jpg

DSCF8745.jpg

DSCF8746.jpg

We walked through Toon Lagoon but it was way too cold for the water rides.

DSCF5930.jpg

DSCF5931.jpg

We did ride Spiderman and then Mark and I went for something sweet (fudge) at the Candy Shop in Seussland

DSCF5932.jpg

DSCF5934.jpg

DSCF5937.jpg

DSCF5938.jpg

Nate and Ben rode Dragon Challenge and then we met up and checked out the wait time for Flight of the Hippogriff.

DSCF5941.jpg

75 minutes! That’s crazy!

But since we had the onsite express pass, we breezed right on.

DSCF5942.jpg

DSCF5943.jpg

My notes said we got butterbeer (Nate and I probably shared a warm one) and then we were out of the park.

DSCF5945.jpg

DSCF5947.jpg

We headed back to the Hard Rock but

Next Up: Isn’t it Too Cold for a Pool Break?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter