• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Escape from the North - A Week at the Yacht Club - April 2015- Complete* 1/5

In some ways I am surprised I don't hear more tales of problems with magic bands and kids with sensory issues - at least they make it fairly painless to remedy the situation when a MB is lost.

Glad your lunch was so good - some times (especially when hot and/or raining) getting a little break from the park is a very good thing and a monorail resort for a meal is a great option.

They recently switched the locations of the Citrus Swirl and Dole Whip stands (I think at least partly in prep for the new restaurant coming to Adventureland) so maybe that impacted things? :confused3 I think the citrus swirl is pretty good but doesn't compare to a Dole Whip :goodvibes

Day 3
Magic Kingdom Part 4

We had just sampled a Citrus Swirl that I thought would be a Dole Whip. :sad2: I still enjoyed it and we had time to get the real thing.

At some point I took a photo of Aidan's hat and the signatures he's managed to get so far:

DSC_0426TR.jpg

It's probably not surprising to anyone that we rode the magic carpets next.

DSC_0428TR.jpg

They were happy to be seated in front where they could control the height of the carpet. ;)

Pirates had a short wait so we visited this guy:

DSC_0434TR.jpg

As we continued on towards Frontierland we met the beginning of the parade.

DSC_0438TR.jpg

Not a good photo and I really hoped we could catch the parade again during our 2nd MK day.

Once the parade had passed we continued on to the Haunted Mansion. We got this family photo on the way out.

MK_HAUNTEDMANSIONEXIT_TR.jpg

Aidan's scared face looks completely sarcastic. :rotfl2: I really committed to the whole thing but everyone else just phoned it in. :rotfl:

We then stopped and used the famous Tangled facilities and I snapped a required photo:

DSC_0444TR.jpg .

It was now I decided that I was going to meet a princess and the boys would just have to deal with it. ::yes:: I really wanted to meet Merida because we have some things in common. And I thought they would enjoy it because they could try out a bow and arrow in the queue.

We got into the very long line. It was in the hot sun so Jamie took them off for awhile so they wouldn't have to stand in the sun. It was frustrating because the line didn't move at all for a long time. I'm glad I stuck it out because once it started moving we were brought into the meeting area and it wasn't long until it was our turn.

DSC_0446TR.jpg

These are the Brave lanterns. :thumbsup2

Aidan was irritated that he had to meet a princess and I loved how she responded:

DSC_0447TR.jpg

By the end of the meeting she'd charmed both of them:

DSC_0449TR.jpg

I was very anxious to ask her how she managed her long, curly locks in the Florida humidity.

MK_FAIRYTALEGARDENCHAR_TR.jpg

Bear grease. That's the answer.

:eek:

7DMT is next.

Last edited:
At some point I took a photo of Aidan's hat and the signatures he's managed to get so far:

Cool! :thumbsup2

It's probably not surprising to anyone that we rode the magic carpets next.

No! Not that!!!

Seven. Times. In. A. Row.

I still shake when I think about it.

Pirates had a short wait so we visited this guy:

Careful. I hear he hangs around with a rough crowd.

Once the parade had passed we continued on to the Haunted Mansion. We got this family photo on the way out.

:laughing: Love it!!

Aidan's scared face looks completely sarcastic.

:lmao: I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out.

I really committed to the whole thing but everyone else just phoned it in.

:rotfl:

We then stopped and used the famous Tangled facilities and I snapped a required photo:

Thank goodness. If you don't take a picture, you risk getting thrown out of the DISboards.

These are the Brave lanterns. :thumbsup2

Never seen those before. Nice pic.

Aidan was irritated that he had to meet a princess and I loved how she responded:

dsc_0447tr-jpg.95685

:lmao: I love it! That's so great!

I was very anxious to ask her how she managed her long, curly locks in the Florida humidity.

:laughing: So... you gonna try it?

7DMT is next.

Can't wait! Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

In some ways I am surprised I don't hear more tales of problems with magic bands and kids with sensory issues - at least they make it fairly painless to remedy the situation when a MB is lost.

They did replace it very easily and we managed to keep it for the rest of the trip so not bad.

Glad your lunch was so good - some times (especially when hot and/or raining) getting a little break from the park is a very good thing and a monorail resort for a meal is a great option.

It worked out well since we managed to avoid the second rain shower that came through that day.

They recently switched the locations of the Citrus Swirl and Dole Whip stands (I think at least partly in prep for the new restaurant coming to Adventureland) so maybe that impacted things? :confused3 I think the citrus swirl is pretty good but doesn't compare to a Dole Whip :goodvibes

It's confusing since they offer something similar at the new location.

Seven. Times. In. A. Row.

I still shake when I think about it.

That sounds frightening.

Thank goodness. If you don't take a picture, you risk getting thrown out of the DISboards.

Don't want that. ;)

Never seen those before. Nice pic.

Thanks.

I love it! That's so great!

She was awesome. I developed a slight crush on her I have to admit. Aidan would see her again in a few days and it was really sweet.

So... you gonna try it?

I might the next time I experience Florida humidity. It calls for the big guns, that's for sure. ::yes::

We saw that the time to meet Goofy and Donald was short so we decided to add Donald's signature to Aidan's hat. This was a fun meet:
Seems like the perfect thing to get things back on track.

I was obsessively checking the time on my phone because apparently GF is the last stop. :scared: I had wanted to look around the resort a little but I only had time to get a few photos while we tried to locate the restaurant.
Oh, don't worry about it. As long as you show up, you can be a few minutes late. :rolleyes1

Not that I want to be late, but you know... moving mountains and all.

Up until now the boys were sure that we were staying at the "fanciest" resort. They quickly realized that GF was fancier and they want to stay there next time. :rotfl2:
And suddenly, your wallet regrets making this ADR. :eek: :faint:

Sammy spent some time defacing their cloth napkins:
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Yeah, might not want to stay here.

In fact, you might not be allowed back into the GF. :rotfl:

The CMs directed us towards Guest Services. They were able to quickly transfer his info onto a card. They deactivated his old card and told us to have the concierge at YC issue him a new band. We also took this time to put more things in the locker
Sorry he lost it, but it seems like they were able to help fix the situation quickly and easily. I'm sure that isn't an uncommon thing.

I did notice something called Citrus Swirl. That must be it. They obviously had some sort of spat with Dole and they must no longer be able to contractually call it a "Dole Whip."
Ok, I have to say, I actually prefer the citrus swirl. :rolleyes1

Aidan's scared face looks completely sarcastic. :rotfl2: I really committed to the whole thing but everyone else just phoned it in. :rotfl:
Well, whether they all bought in or not, it ended up being a great picture.:thumbsup2

I really wanted to meet Merida because we have some things in common.
The hair! The hair!

That. Is. Awesome! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Well, let's go get us a bear and test that theory!

I'm a little scared to ask what exactly "bear grease" is...and how you'd go about getting some lol...but great answer!! What a fun MK day so far!! Awesome that Merida was even able to charm surly boys...mine would be the exact same...you are lucky though that you had someone to take them away for a bit while you waited...because yeah...waiting in non-moving lines in hot sun...not fun...for boys especially while waiting to see a princess lol.

Day 3
Magic Kingdom Part 5

One of the ways I got the boys to agree to meet Merida, aside from guilt and threats, was the fact that they would get to try out a bow and arrow and shoot at a target. Boys and their weapons. What are you gonna do? :confused3

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Aidan's shot because I was still crushing on a princess but I managed to see Sam shoot.

DSC_0450TR.jpg

As we left the meet and greet we witnessed some truly idiotic guest behavior. There was a family of ducks walking across the path, a mama and 4 or 5 ducklings. They had the misfortune of coming across a cheerleader group and one of the gals - definitely old enough to know better - started chasing them. :sad2: Mama duck was separated from the babies and started quacking like crazy. The girl did not take the hint. She actually tried to catch the ducklings. :scared1:

I walked away before I did something I would regret. :mad:

We headed over to 7DMT to see if it was finally running. I think I wrote about 2 times that we tried to use our FP but the ride was down due to weather or technical difficulties. We actually were turned away 3 times and the 3rd time happened when we were on our way to the Merida meet. We chatted with a CM who was originally from the town in Massachusetts where DH and I worked when we met. We talked about the brutal winter she missed because this is the only thing I seem to talk about. :o

I tell this story because all 3 times we were assured by the CMs that we could come back any time that day when the ride was operating and the FPs would be honored. :thumbsup2 So we confidently strode up to the FP line and scanned our bands. The CM goes, "It says here that you're 7 hours late."

what.gif

Maybe that CM had just clocked in because she seemed to have no clue what was going on. :rotfl2: Another CM let us through and by the time we reached the 2nd kiosks our bands were green. :thumbsup2

And since we'd had some more time in the park and had walked by the ride when it was running Jamie decided he wasn't going to ride but the boys were still into it. Aidan was pretty nervous but Sam was excited:

DSC_0454TR.jpg

Here's our ride pics and video:

MK_MINETRAIN_7283665724.jpeg

They're terrified! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Sam actually enjoyed it, he told Jamie it was awesome. Aidan said he needed some time to get the spit back in his mouth. :rotfl2:

After this we rode Under the Sea

DSC_0458TR.jpg

and Dumbo

DSC_0459TR.jpg
These were more their speed. :lmao:

Then we decided to break for dinner and headed over to Columbia Harbour House. I wrote more about the food in my DR but I will say that I ordered the best meal and Sam ate half of it. :sad1: He got the mac & cheese kids meal and decided he didn't like it but he did like my shrimp. I gave him half my shrimp and was going to try his mac and cheese when Aidan finished his kids meal and moved onto to Sammy's. And then he ate some of Jamie's fish. We used to finish their meals, now they steal our food. :rotfl:

After dinner we had some time to kill before the MSEP so we headed over to the Hall of Presidents. This was one of my must-dos since we'd never seen it. While we were waiting for the next show to start we looked around in the Christmas store and I ended up buying an ornament.

DSC_0640TR.jpg

I wish I'd gotten one during all our prior trips.

DSC_0467TR.jpg

We loved this! But I think I would enjoy listening to Morgan Freeman recite the phone book.

Aidan did a project at school this year where he learned a little about all the presidents and wrote a report about one president - he was assigned JFK. :thumbsup2 And of course Sammy thinks anything his big brother does is cool so they both enjoyed the show.
The show looked a little dated to me which is why I was surprised that Obama figured so prominently into it. I googled it and learned about the 2009 update.

After this we decided to grab some dessert before we headed over to Main Street for our MSEP FP. I spotted a huge ice cream sandwich at Sleepy Hollow so we ordered one of those and a funnel cake with strawberries and whipped cream. We split both 4 ways. I didn't enjoy either as much as I thought I would but it may be because splitting them was a pain with only plastic utensils. :sad2:

The best part was when this little guy peered over at our table.

DSC_0471TR.jpg

I don't know if you can see him. I tried some ridiculous photo processing to point him out because he blends into the background.

Main Street Electrical Parade is next.

Last edited:
aside from guilt and threats,

Sometimes the old ways are best...

Boys and their weapons. What are you gonna do? :confused3

It's your fault.
We were just fine... and then:
"Urg! Go get meat! Me sick of grass stew!"
"But me want to sit with feet up and read cave paintings."
"Urg! Now!"
"Grumble, grumble, grumble."

So now it's hard wired.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Aidan's shot because I was still crushing on a princess

That kills me. :laughing:

As we left the meet and greet we witnessed some truly idiotic guest behavior.

In Disney! No! You must be the only one, ever!

:sad2:

She actually tried to catch the ducklings.

Say, sweetie. I'm just going to tie this rope around your ankle and dangle you over a cliff.
Don't worry, we'll all have a good time watching you scream and struggle.
How about that, then? Hmmm????

No????

THEN KNOCK IT OFF!!

I think I wrote about 2 times that we tried to use our FP but the ride was down due to weather or technical difficulties.

::yes::

So we confidently strode up to the FP line and scanned our bands. The CM goes, "It says here that you're 7 hours late."

:sad2:
Be honest. How close did you come to losing it right there?

Another CM let us through and by the time we reached the 2nd kiosks our bands were green. :thumbsup2

<phew> At least it was handled right... and right away.

Here's our ride pics and video:

OMG! Those are priceless! And look at you. You got both hands up at the end there.

Aidan said he needed some time to get the spit back in his mouth.

:rotfl:

Maybe just a little scared? :lmao:

We used to finish their meals, now they steal our food

Get ready for when they want two meals.... as an appetizer.

The best part was when this little guy peered over at our table.

It's Mickey!!!

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

Seems like the perfect thing to get things back on track.

It was! And until then I'd worried that they wouldn't want to meet characters so it was perfect in more ways than one. :thumbsup2

Oh, don't worry about it. As long as you show up, you can be a few minutes late. :rolleyes1

Not that I want to be late, but you know... moving mountains and all.

I hate being late. I can be easygoing most of the time but if I think I'm going to be late I go a little wacko. :scared:

And suddenly, your wallet regrets making this ADR. :eek: :faint:

It was cool that they were so interested in where we would stay next time. By the end of the trip even Jamie was committed to going back next year. :banana:

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Yeah, might not want to stay here.
RIn fact, you might not be allowed back into the GF. :rotfl:

You know, anywhere else I'd worry. But Disney is so cool about stuff like that. :cool:

Sorry he lost it, but it seems like they were able to help fix the situation quickly and easily. I'm sure that isn't an uncommon thing.

It was so easy to replace and he held onto his replacement for the rest of the trip. :thumbsup2

Ok, I have to say, I actually prefer the citrus swirl. :rolleyes1

I do get the chance to get the Dole whip later in the trip and I might feel the same way. :rolleyes1

Well, whether they all bought in or not, it ended up being a great picture.:thumbsup2

Thanks!

The hair! The hair!

:thumbsup2

Well, let's go get us a bear and test that theory!

Um, no. :sad2:

I'm a little scared to ask what exactly "bear grease" is...and how you'd go about getting some lol...but great answer!! What a fun MK day so far!! Awesome that Merida was even able to charm surly boys...mine would be the exact same...you are lucky though that you had someone to take them away for a bit while you waited...because yeah...waiting in non-moving lines in hot sun...not fun...for boys especially while waiting to see a princess lol.

I think Merida's handler actually came up with that one. :thumbsup2

Did you guys see that video of all the tourists wandering around with their cameras... while a Momma bear and her cubs were nearby?
Can you say "How freaking stupid are you???"

You're not talking about Disney tourists are you??

Day 3
Magic Kingdom Part 6

After dessert we headed towards Main Street for our Electrical Parade FP which is located at Town Square.

I got a shot of the castle at night.

DSC_0474TR.jpg

We checked in at Town Square and got a really good spot behind the rope right at the start of the parade facing the RR station. There was a really adorable CM from NY who was manning the ropes. I asked him if I could scoot out and come back and he said it was fine. I took advantage of the wait time and ran to turn in the key to the locker we'd rented.

On the way back it looked like the parade had started and I panicked because I didn't think I could make it back across to my family. Luckily it was just a HS marching band that had been chosen to play at WDW. After they went by I joined Jamie and the boys and watched the next band go by. They were from Rhody!

DSC_0479TR.jpg

This parade is the only thing I remember from my trip to WDW with my family when I was a kid. We've never been so this was a major must-do for this trip.

I took a lot of pictures but I'll post 8 of my favorites:

DSC_0480TR.jpg

DSC_0486TR.jpg

I like this one because Aidan was trying so hard to get Goofy to see him in his Goofy hat and when Goofy waved at him he was thrilled!

DSC_0488TR.jpg

DSC_0499TR.jpg

DSC_0504TR.jpg

DSC_0507TR.jpg

DSC_0519TR.jpg

DSC_0521TR.jpg

After the parade we decided to head out. Earlier in the day we'd all run through some puddles and our sneakers had gotten wet except for Sam who wore Crocs. After an entire day we all had really disgusting feet. We stunk. :eek: :faint:

We left the park and got in line for a bus. This was one of the longest waits we had for a bus. But before too long we were on our way back to the YC. I was kicking myself for heading back to MK after lunch instead of back to the resort to change into dry shoes. I felt that I was starting to get blisters and Aidan already had one. :sad2: I was really hoping that this wouldn't put a damper on our trip.

Day 3 Comparison: (from my PTR)

MK opens at 8 this day and we need to be at RD because I want to see the Welcome Show for the first time. Then we have FP for 7DMT at 9:25 and Peter Pan at 10:25. We will hop on the monorail to visit GF for the first time for lunch at GFC at 12:45. We will go back to MK for rides and the parade, dinner at CHH, and then a FP for MSEP, stay for Wishes, and head back to YC for the night.

So once again we stuck close to the plan. I caught the tail end of the Welcome Show but I still saw it. :thumbsup2 We did not make our 7DMT FP because of weather but eventually we rode it. We didn't stay for Wishes because feet. :sick:

Tomorrow we go to Epcot.

Last edited:
I got a shot of the castle at night.

Nice!

I took advantage of the wait time and ran to turn in the key to the locker we'd rented.

Ah yes. The hat locker.

They were from Rhody!

I've never heard it called that!

I took a lot of pictures but I'll post 8 of my favorites:

All were really, really good!

I like this one because Aidan was trying so hard to get Goofy to see him in his Goofy hat and when Goofy waved at him he was thrilled!

:) That's what makes Disney so awesome. Am I right?

After an entire day we all had really disgusting feet. We stunk. :eek: :faint:

Okay. Thanks ever so much for sharing that info with us. :sad2:

:laughing:

I felt that I was starting to get blisters and Aidan already had one.

Break out the moleskin!

Tomorrow we go to Epcot.

Can't wait! :goodvibes

Sorry for falling behind Colleen! I've got a lot of school work right now, but I'm taking a well deserved break to catch up on some TRs!

I cannot beliiiieve you got to see a baby gorilla!!! I wouldn't have moved from this spot all day! SO CUTE!

He was also happy that his food came in a pail and shovel that our pack mule, uh Jamie, got to lug around all day. :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: pack mule :rotfl: My dad would definitely be able to identify with this :laughing:

"When I saw that big dinosaur my mouth went completely dry."

Me too Aidan, me too. :rotfl2:

YAY! I bought the exact same Oswald plush! Snap boys!

I love the twinkly water in this photo :goodvibes

dsc_0356tr-jpg.94559

I try not to post pictures of strangers on Social Media but I can't not share this. The girl sitting next to them started talking to them about their pins. She gave them two pins each and spent the whole bus ride listening and talking to them. Not once did she look over for me to translate something Sammy said (this happens a lot). I just sat back and enjoyed watching them. I could tell they felt really special. :lovestruc

Disney Magic! :wizard: She sounds so lovely :goodvibes I'm glad you got to see her and speak to her again later :goodvibes

While I was there the walls didn't bother me too much but they really stand out to me in the photos. :confused3

Haha! Poor Sammy!

I love Sammy's face in this!

mk_fairytalegardenchar_tr-jpg.95687

Bear grease.. noted!

As we left the meet and greet we witnessed some truly idiotic guest behavior. There was a family of ducks walking across the path, a mama and 4 or 5 ducklings. They had the misfortune of coming across a cheerleader group and one of the gals - definitely old enough to know better - started chasing them. :sad2: Mama duck was separated from the babies and started quacking like crazy. The girl did not take the hint. She actually tried to catch the ducklings. :scared1:

I hate this :sad2: Some people will do anything to try to look cool/funny in front of their friends :sad2:

OMG, this made me laugh out loud! They look terrified!!!!! I'm glad they enjoyed it though :goodvibes

Sounds like a great day at MK! Can't wait for Epcot!

I persuaded my son to meet Merida when he was 8 (because she was cool). But at 9 and 10, nothing would work!

Love your Merida meet! Also I had to LOL at your 7DMT video! Glad you were able to find some rides everyone liked afterwards!

The MSEP pictures came out great too! I love that picture of Mickey!

No. I think it was at Yellowstone?

I just saw that on IFLScience. Wow. Humans are idiots. :sad2: Running from bears. Great idea. Some of them didn't even seem scared. Some idiot gets mauled by a bear so bear gets put down. This is why we can't have nice things.

ALL CAUGHT UP!!!!!

Merida is so much fun to interact with!!! On my trip down when I proposed to my fiancé we went to meet her and she asked all sorts of questions. She asked where I asked the big question and I told her I front of cinderellas castle. She said oh well now you have to do it again but I front of MY castle. She proceeded to make us reenact the entire proposal it was so funny and so much fun.

I haven't seen the festival of fantasy parade yet I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it next week on the honeymoon!

I can't imagine how badly your feet must have hurt after a long day in wet shoes and socks. I normally wear sandals with socks. ( I know not very fashionable) But then if my feet get wet I can just take the socks off for the rest of the day and throw them in my backpack.

Dumbo and Ariel are more my speed than 7DMT too lol. Those pics are priceless though!! Sorry about the wet and stinky and sore feet...that's just the worst...but I'm sure it was hard to take the time to go back and change when it takes away from park time. Tough call. I hope feet were ok the rest of the trip! I love your MSEP pics too!

Thank you.

Ah yes. The hat locker.

By now it had the stuff Jamie was carrying in it, too. I have to justify the $7 somehow.

I've never heard it called that!

The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is a mouthful.

All were really, really good!

Thank you . :goodvibes

:) That's what makes Disney so awesome. Am I right?

You are correct, sir.

Break out the moleskin!

Luckily I never did get a blister and Aidan's was on the side of his foot so we weren't bothered for the rest of the vacation.

Sorry for falling behind Colleen! I've got a lot of school work right now, but I'm taking a well deserved break to catch up on some TRs!

Oh, Katie. Don't apologize. I am writing it really quickly. I can't find my notes from the trip and I'm already starting to forget stuff.

I cannot beliiiieve you got to see a baby gorilla!!! I wouldn't have moved from this spot all day! SO CUTE!

I didn't want to move but Sammy was talking about extinction and people were crowding into my personal space so I got my pictures and moved on.

My dad would definitely be able to identify with this :laughing:

That's what dads are for, I guess. I am constantly finding toys in my purse that I'm holding for them. One day I stole a toy for a little boy because he dropped it and when I picked it up I put it in my pocket instead because that's what I do for my boys all day so they don't lose stuff. :rotfl2:

I bought the exact same Oswald plush! Snap boys!

I remember you saying. I'm glad we found them. I couldn't even find Aidan an Oswald shirt, he had to get an x-small men's shirt. It fits him quite well, actually.

Disney Magic! :wizard: She sounds so lovely :goodvibes I'm glad you got to see her and speak to her again later :goodvibes

She was. Maybe she's on the DIS and will see this and know she made them happy.

Haha! Poor Sammy!

At least it was FLorida and he warmed up quickly.

I love Sammy's face in this!

I love that open mouth smile of his.

I hate this :sad2: Some people will do anything to try to look cool/funny in front of their friends :sad2:

I didn't even think of that being her motivation. Makes total sense. ::yes:: I just thought she was a dummy.

OMG, this made me laugh out loud! They look terrified!!!!! I'm glad they enjoyed it though :goodvibes

Sounds like a great day at MK! Can't wait for Epcot!

It was a great day. Thanks for coming by.

I persuaded my son to meet Merida when he was 8 (because she was cool). But at 9 and 10, nothing would work!

:welcome:I got lucky, I guess. :thumbsup2

Love your Merida meet! Also I had to LOL at your 7DMT video! Glad you were able to find some rides everyone liked afterwards!

The MSEP pictures came out great too! I love that picture of Mickey!

Thanks, Casey! I loved meeting Merida and the boys were cute with her. I love that video, they were so scared but Sammy did like it. I think I was holding his hand in that photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter