Escape from the North - A Week at the Yacht Club - April 2015- Complete* 1/5

I think his non-reaction to the Beverly is pretty funny just because it is so unexpected. I am so happy that turned your Epcot day around.

I have to say, I am not a big fan of Turtle talk. We always seem to get in the show with the kid with a 20 minute long story before he gets to his question. Ugh!

Too bad you all didn't get to ride Soarin' together. Given that I do it, it really is a mild ride.

I know! I was expecting him to make a face and we could all laugh about it. It still worked out ok. :thumbsup2

:laughing: We didn't hear any 20 minute stories but we got a bunch of variations on the same question.

They would have really enjoyed it. They liked Star Tours and I think that's worse. Aidan just let the warnings they make you listen to get to him which I totally understand since the same thing happened to me when I was waiting for Space Mountain.

I also kind of wondered about Aidan... did he feel like it was something for younger kids, or was he ok with the concept... you know, aside from the other reasons mentioned?

Aidan did complain that it was for babies. :sad2: I wish we'd been closer to them to see if they enjoyed it. Aidan complained about Philarmagic but I caught him reaching out for the 3D images. Of course he never admitted that he liked it. :rolleyes1 Personally I thought the show was amusing and well done.

Totally agree. I don't think it is something you're typically going to need one for anyway. And if you would need one, I think I'd be ok skipping it.

I guess if you go into it knowing that the FP won't be "worth it" the way it is for the tier 1 attractions it's ok. And I wasn't upset for wasting a FP or anything, I was just commenting on the situation in case anyone found it useful.

OOOOH!!! Entitled guest behavior???? Do share!

You know, I was going to share but when I started typing it out it sounded underwhelming. Basically this large family unit parked themselves right in front of the Fast Pass entrance for Soarin' and waited until it was time to enter. We were doing the same thing but we stood off to the side until it was our turn. So we watched all these people approach who were probably on time and stand behind large family unit. It was ridiculous.

Well, that was nice of them!

I think they felt bad that my family ditched me. :rotfl2::rotfl:

That's nice that he felt so bad about it. I mean, totally no reason to feel bad, but it definitely shows he cares.

He's very empathetic. I think it's so cool that he's like that. He would never knowingly hurt anyone's feelings.

Yeah, that'll end the grumpy moods. :rolleyes1

I have to admit that I wanted to witness Sam's slight discomfort at tasting Beverly. Of course he foiled my plans. :rotfl:

I've never been as disgusted by Beverly as I'm supposed to be.

I'm the same way. I don't mind it. I think it's because I like Campari which is an aperitif which I guess is what Beverly was going for.

And I'm certainly more than capable of downing enough of it with no ill effects to bait others into doing so. :rotfl: :drinking1

That's awesome. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Oh. And I was so sure you'd be writing "They loved it! We were all laughing!"

Apparently, not so much.

Too bad. It's so well done.

I agree, Jamie and I really enjoyed it. If we'd been able to see them clearly we might have caught them enjoying themselves. ;)

Shoot. That probably would've made a world of difference.

Sammy is the type to put his hand up in any situation. It was so surprising to me because Aidan never puts his hand up.

Really? So... what's the point then?

I'm not sure. :confused3 Maybe when it's really busy you can skip to the head of the line and get into the next show rather than wait. But once you're in that holding pen there's no further designation. And you get to explore the room a little while you're waiting so it's not like you can hold your place in the front of the line. Again, not complaining about the set-up just saying maybe not the best use of FP.

Such as? Details! We want details

I didn't think it was interesting enough to do details but as I told Andy above a large family unit parked themselves in front of the FP entrance for Soarin' to wait for their entrance time. We were doing the same thing but stood off to the side. We watched people (who were probably on time) line up behind large family unit before they realized what was going on.

:laughing: I find it funny how you finally got some alone time and it was amazing!

I had an amazing time because the ride was awesome but it would have been better if they were with me. :goodvibes Believe me, at home I would kill for alone time but not really at Disney. :confused3

Can't imagine why.

:rollleyes:

Huh. I didn't realize that our Oswald love was so off-putting. Maybe that explains the low readership of this TR. :thumbsup2

I wonder what Coke flavoured lip balm tastes like.

I think it defeats the purpose of lip balm if you're just going to lick it off.

Good to know, though. I might do it just to see.

I think if you have some downtime it's worth it for the FP.

We're going to take the boys to Yankee Stadium for the first time this year. I actually prefer to see the minor league teams - the prices are so much lower, you're closer to the field, it's family friendly. We went down to Norwich, CT to catch a random game (not a Yankee affiliate) Fourth of July last year and it was so much fun.

Yeah, 3 hours is a lot. That's why we don't go to Yankee games more often. You could probably make it up to Pawtucket in 3 hours if you time it right.

I think Pawtucket is about 3 hours from us, depending on traffic ... we've actually done Boston in just over 3 hours, but that was with no traffic.

We saw the Norwich team last summer also - it was a nice stadium. We generally do at least 3-4 minor league games each summer, some years more - we also like the better prices, seats, and environment. We actually sat right behind home plate in Trenton once ... those were probably the best seats we've ever had (although we have had other front row seats too). The best major league seats we ever had were 4th row, out in right field ... and those were seats my brother got from a client, no way we would have paid for those.

Yankee Stadium is pretty nice - make sure you get there early enough to go to Monument Park (they close it at some point before the game) and go to the museum!

Sorry, I'm totally hijacking your TR with baseball talk!

I didn't think it was interesting enough to do details but as I told Andy above a large family unit parked themselves in front of the FP entrance for Soarin' to wait for their entrance time. We were doing the same thing but stood off to the side. We watched people (who were probably on time) line up behind large family unit before they realized what was going on.

Ah. Thanks!

Believe me, at home I would kill for alone time but not really at Disney. :confused3

Oh I get that. I really do.
Disney really does make you want to spend time with the family.
Look kids! You'll love this!
(Or hope they will.)

Huh. I didn't realize that our Oswald love was so off-putting. Maybe that explains the low readership of this TR. :thumbsup2

No, no, no! You misunderstood.
I follow a bunch of TRs and as soon as I see an Oswald reference, I scroll up to make sure you're the one with the Oswald avatar.

I think it defeats the purpose of lip balm if you're just going to lick it off.

Ha! Didn't even think of that.
I'd prefer just a glass of Coke, please.

Sorry, I'm totally hijacking your TR with baseball talk!

You don't ever have to be sorry about hijacking my TR to talk about baseball. :)

We will definitely make time to see Monument Park. Maybe we can make a weekend out of it and check out some other things in the city that the boys would enjoy. :thumbsup2

Just talking about this makes me want summer to just get here already. I love these pics I took at that game last year:

bball.jpg

20140705_215249.jpg

Not the best quality but they scream summer to me. :goodvibes

No, no, no! You misunderstood.
I follow a bunch of TRs and as soon as I see an Oswald reference, I scroll up to make sure you're the one with the Oswald avatar.

Oh, my bad. I think "rolleyes" reads as more sarcastic than the cute little emoji. :laughing:

Ha! Didn't even think of that.
I'd prefer just a glass of Coke, please.

I couldn't let Aidan get these in fear he'd eat his lips. :rotfl:

Uh, huh. That first one looks like it came straight out of Sports Illustrated or something.

Aww, thank you. I wish I'd had my camera for that other shot instead of just my phone. I loved that the players came out onto the field to watch the fireworks. It felt like something out of Field of Dreams. :goodvibes

Not the best quality but they scream summer to me. :goodvibes
Uh, huh. That first one looks like it came straight out of Sports Illustrated or something.

I'm with pkondz on this one - that first picture is amazing!

I loved that the players came out onto the field to watch the fireworks. It felt like something out of Field of Dreams. :goodvibes

That's one of the things I really love about minor league baseball - a lot of the players are so enthusiastic and they seem to love everything, from meeting the fans to whatever's going on in the stadium, to just playing the game. I think that after a few years they lose that enthusiasm and it's kinda sad.

Day 4
Epcot Part 4

After leaving Mexico we continued our walk through the World Showcase. One of many goals this trip was to explore each of the countries in the WS. On past trips we'd only just walked along the outskirts. Unfortunately we were on the hunt for food and Norway didn't have a food booth so we skipped it. So much for goals. :laughing:

We stopped and had this photo taken.

EPCOT_ECROVE1_7TR.jpg

Next up was China. The boys each had a spring roll and Jamie and I split something. More detail and pictures at my DR.

DSC_0570TR.jpg

We browsed through the stores and I had to put my foot down when Aidan wanted to spend his money on a metal sword. :rolleyes: We also watched Reflections of China.
I think those spring rolls ignited their hunger because they were starving and we had to rush past a couple countries before we found something they liked. It was fine since we knew we'd be back.

I took pictures of the topiaries we walked past.

DSC_0568TR.jpg

DSC_0572TR.jpg

DSC_0573TR.jpg

At the Florida Fresh booth I tried the Shrimp and Grits and Key Lime Sparking wine and Sam proceeded to steal my shrimp. I should have been more creative and titled this report "Stop stealing my shrimp!"

Just a shot of this building in Germany. We would be eating dinner here so we'd be back to check it out.

DSC_0576TR.jpg

The boys loved the soldiers in armor or whatever they are up there.

Lastly I took a few pictures of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs topiary. I had to take several to avoid getting random people in the shot.

DSC_0578TR.jpg

DSC_0580TR.jpg

DSC_0579TR.jpg

DSC_0581TR.jpg

Italy is up next.

Last edited:
One of many goals this trip was to explore each of the countries in the WS. On past trips we'd only just walked along the outskirts.

Sounds like my goal! :)

Unfortunately we were on the hunt for food and Norway didn't have a food booth so we skipped it. So much for goals. :laughing:

Well that didn't last long! :laughing:

We browsed through the stores and I had to put my foot down when Aidan wanted to spend his money on a metal sword. :rolleyes:

A boy wanting a metal sword? How odd!

:rolleyes2

I should have been more creative and titled this report "Stop stealing my shrimp!"

:lmao: I like that!

The boys loved the soldiers in armor or whatever they are up there.

Dudes in shiny pants.

Great topiary pics, too!

I'm with pkondz on this one - that first picture is amazing!

Thank you!

That's one of the things I really love about minor league baseball - a lot of the players are so enthusiastic and they seem to love everything, from meeting the fans to whatever's going on in the stadium, to just playing the game. I think that after a few years they lose that enthusiasm and it's kinda sad.

I agree. At that Norwich game we were right behind the plate and the players were throwing the balls up to Aidan & Sam. It happened up in Portland, too. It must be tough to play at that level after a few years. I worked with a guy who had done it and it's tough. Lots of travel, little money.

Hi fellow Rhode Islander! I just started your TR and I took a peak at your PTR. We like to travel during April vacation as well and I have a quick tip re: airfare. I have had great luck driving to Hartford to take Southwest. It is only a 90 minute drive and when I book on opening day for flights I have saved up to half off the prices for PVD because they are not on break the same week. My DH is a teacher so there is no extending school breaks for us.

Well, can't wait to get caught up with your trip!

Okay the DIS really hates me today :sad::sad2: I had a full post all ready to go to show I was all caught up and it just went poof! :sad: Second time that happened! :sad2:
So I am going to try again later but I just wanted to say I am here and all up to date and I WILL get it to post if it kills me! ::yes:: (Hopefully it won't actually kill me but who knows :rotfl:)

I love your trip report! As one who has two children also (older 14 and 10 now), I get the desire to show them some things that will hopefully inspire nostalgia in them later on. I have found as a Disneyland local that we had to make several trips to that park to get my kids to really appreciate the vagiaries and details available to them at Disney parks. Even now, I don't think they really appreciate how big these trips are. The good news is that I'm sure the children will eventually do Soarin' . They will eventually experience Animal Kingdom and really enjoy it. Sometimes it's just hard to understand the bigger picture at their age. Both kids look like they are having a great time overall!

As for the Yankee hat thing, jeez, I never thought of That. I have a question, though. I am a Chicago Cub fan and my team just switched two of their affiliations. What does you husband do with the cap when THAT happens?

Day 4
Epcot Part 5

When we got to Italy we got the boys each a Manicotti at the food booth. When we asked them what they thought Sam did a "mind blown" gesture. I don't even know where he picked that up. :rotfl:

DSC_0584TR.jpg

This little snack bought us some time to check out Italy. I browsed through the shops and we watched this act.

DSC_0589TR.jpg

The boys enjoyed it because there was flag waving. Sometimes I have no idea what they'll like. :confused3 I also checked out the wine shop and was unimpressed. I recognized a lot of bottles that my local package store carries at like half the price. :rotfl2:

DSC_0590TR.jpg

Next we came to America.
I knew I had to check out the Voices of America since I'd heard such great things from @DisneyKid4Life. I caught the tail end of their set and they sounded great.

DSC_0592TR.jpg

I wanted to see The American Adventure that was about to start but I was overruled. The boys wanted BBQ from the Smokehouse food booth.

DSC_0593TR.jpg

We tried one of everything and it was all very good. Again, more details and pics if you want 'em at my DR. I found that I didn't really like sharing everything with the boys. They eat like animals. :sad2: :lmao:

DSC_0599TR.jpg

And they're thick as thieves. :lovestruc

Next up was Japan.

DSC_0601TR.jpg .

The boys were looking forward to spending their money in the Japanese store Mitsukoshi. We spent a lot of time browsing. I enjoyed watching the pick-a-pearl or whatever you call it. Eventually Sam settled on a plastic ninja set, a ninja doll, and a katana key chain. Aidan got a Pokemon figure and two Gundams which are new to us.

After they made their purchases we sampled some things from the Japan food booth and the boys played with their new toys.

We continued through Morocco to France. We were full so I never did get to try the falafel or duck confit that I'd been eyeing on the Flower and Garden menus. :sad2: But I wasn't too full for a Grey Goose slush that I'd heard so much about so I browsed around France looking for one.

While I was looking for booze these guys came out:

DSC_0607TR.jpg

Having read various TRs I had a vague idea of what was going to happen. And just looking at the physique on the guy in the vest - ohmigod hot! - I wasn't surprised to see this feat of strength:

DSC_0611TR.jpg

I finally asked at the France booth about the Grey Goose slushie. One of the CMs really went for it with authenticity and was super rude to this American tourist. :laughing: I'm totally kidding. He was a little rude but I've never been to France and I'm just making a joke about a common stereotype. :tiptoe:

Since I'm not picky when it comes to frozen vodka drinks I ended up with the L
a Vie en Rose St-Germain Vodka Slush.

DSC_0613TR.jpg

Jamie and I both thought this was delicious and the perfect refreshment on a really hot day. :thumbsup2

I later found out where the other drink is and I feel a little silly for missing it. :blush:

Once again I've reached my photo limit. What will we do next?

Last edited:
Great Epcot day!! I'm hoping that my DD will enjoy the countries as much as your kids...she hasn't been in ages and if she goes in expecting it to be like MK with rides etc...she may not find it that exciting...but I love it and hope she will be willing to spend some time there...especially the Japan shop.

One of many goals this trip was to explore each of the countries in the WS. On past trips we'd only just walked along the outskirts. Unfortunately we were on the hunt for food and Norway didn't have a food booth so we skipped it. So much for goals. :laughing:

Goals don't matter when there's food ...

I took pictures of the topiaries we walked past.

The pictures look great!
I really love the topiaries, they do such a great job with Flower & Garden, it's one of my favorite times to visit (unfortunately, it's also a time that rarely fits in with my schedule)

Lastly I took a few pictures of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs topiary. I had to take several to avoid getting random people in the shot.

You're much better than me. When I saw this in February I just took the picture with random people!

When we asked them what they thought Sam did a "mind blown" gesture. I don't even know where he picked that up. :rotfl:

Kids learn a lot of strange things in school these days ...

Jamie and I both thought this was delicious and the perfect refreshment on a really hot day. :thumbsup2

Even if it wasn't what you were expecting/hoping to get, I'm glad it was good!

Sounds like you guys were having a good time in World Showcase, and I'm glad the boys found stuff they liked! (I bet they're really happy they decided to set aside money for Disney!)

When we asked them what they thought Sam did a "mind blown" gesture. I don't even know where he picked that up. :rotfl:

dsc_0584tr-jpg.97793

And you caught it! Excellent!
And Aidan looks like he's hoarding his! :laughing:

Sometimes I have no idea what they'll like. :confused3

Boys.

I recognized a lot of bottles that my local package store carries at like half the price. :rotfl2:

Prices higher at Disney!
Where's that mind blown picture!

The boys wanted BBQ from the Smokehouse food booth.

I'm with them on this one.
Mmmmm...BBQ.

I found that I didn't really like sharing everything with the boys. They eat like animals. :sad2: :lmao:

:lmao:

That's a really, really, really good picture.

Next up was Japan.

Best pavilion in the World.

I enjoyed watching the pick-a-pearl or whatever you call it.

I call it pick-a-pearl.

But I wasn't too full for a Grey Goose slush that I'd heard so much about so I browsed around France looking for one.

:thumbsup2

And just looking at the physique on the guy in the vest - ohmigod hot!

:laughing: Sorry to hear that it was so hot out. Did you have a mister with you?
Because if you did, he'd be jealous.

One of the CMs really went for it with authenticity and was super rude to this American tourist. :laughing: I'm totally kidding.

:laughing:

He was a little rude but I've never been to France and I'm just making a joke about a common stereotype. :tiptoe:

Here's my take.
I've been to Paris, where the rudest of the rude are supposed to reside.
And I met only unfailingly polite french people.
In some cases, over the top friendly and polite.
I suppose YMMV, though.

Once again I've reached my photo limit. What will we do next?

Drink, eat, walk more.
Starting with UK?

Last edited:
Love the updates. Your day was just like us but going the other way around WS! Also that picture of Woody is almost the same!!! Too funny. Glad you guys enjoyed your day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter