Epcot to get major transformations

Disney really has hurt themselves by neglecting these parks.

They let them get stale, so now they have multi billion dollar projects to fix them, and have put themselves in a nasty cycle to fix them. By the time they get done with Epcot in 8-10 years, other areas will have been neglected because of all of this and we'll be right back where we started again.

You know...I wish bob iger had come on a board like this and saw somebody like you...or maybe me...predict this exact thing when they did nothing but "discuss pricing" from 2004-2012...

...but he was probably working on his tan :)

I find it ironic that you're all discussing the doom and gloom that permeates our news feeds, that we must live for the future, and fix it....then turn right back around and discuss everything at Disney is full of doom and gloom.

Doom isn't the right word..."concern" definitely applies...to varying degrees.

If disney sat on its parks...it would have to scramble at SOME point.

Which costs more and inevitably leads to lesser results...because the focus is on "volume" not "quality".

Amusement park 101...and I didn't have to go to Oxford to figure it out ;)

Love the thread. Of COURSE all of this will happen - when it actually HAPPENS.

Until then? Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk.....

Call me when EPCOT is a Park again.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Love the thread. Of COURSE all of this will happen - when it actually HAPPENS.

Until then? Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk.....

Call me when EPCOT is a Park again.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

No...you are...

TOTS

They should take half of future world and create a possible future that could be obtained by recycling, re purposing, and all the eco friendly stuff, with lots of new bells and whistles, and make the other half be the world where we neglect our resources, nuke each other, lose all control over the environment, etc...... as soon as you enter the internet drops out, your FPP don't work, and you can't pay for anything with your band.......hmmmm....

Doom isn't the right word..."concern" definitely applies...to varying degrees.

If disney sat on its parks...it would have to scramble at SOME point.

Which costs more and inevitably leads to lesser results...because the focus is on "volume" not "quality".

Amusement park 101...and I didn't have to go to Oxford to figure it out ;)

No, doom is right. There's varying levels of doom here. There always has been, just like every other Disney fan site. Some feel the need to see the negative in everything, others hope for the best. It's just the way it is.

I would take future world retro, sort of like tomorrow land. The reality is, tech changes too fast to stay ahead of it with building projects. People in one generation traveled by horse, and later saw the moon landings on TV. And that was big cool stuff. Much of what we do now is sort of hidden in the computer. It is not impressive and futuristic because it seems too easy and possible.

If I were in charge, I would put up a series of buildings that contain many full motion simulators. You could then re-theme banks of them as new movies are produced. Produce the ride film and software at the same time the movie is produced. Day one attraction for Frozen instead of waiting for years.

I would take future world retro, sort of like tomorrow land. The reality is, tech changes too fast to stay ahead of it with building projects. People in one generation traveled by horse, and later saw the moon landings on TV. And that was big cool stuff. Much of what we do now is sort of hidden in the computer. It is not impressive and futuristic because it seems too easy and possible.

If I were in charge, I would put up a series of buildings that contain many full motion simulators. You could then re-theme banks of them as new movies are produced. Produce the ride film and software at the same time the movie is produced. Day one attraction for Frozen instead of waiting for years.
You could do something very similar with a "real" ride. Get an updated version of the Dinosaur vehicles worked out. Then you can re-program the ride for new releases. Think of the vehicles programmed to do their circuit in a big empty building, and then you fill in the scenery. So, a new movie could have a completely new ride "track", as it is just a path in an empty building, and you fill in the scenery. Unless they go cheap with the re-programs, it could be really cool and way more agile than anything they currently have.

No, doom is right. There's varying levels of doom here. There always has been, just like every other Disney fan site. Some feel the need to see the negative in everything, others hope for the best. It's just the way it is.

But it can't be dismissed as "invalid" so easily? To varying degrees...

You could do something very similar with a "real" ride. Get an updated version of the Dinosaur vehicles worked out. Then you can re-program the ride for new releases. Think of the vehicles programmed to do their circuit in a big empty building, and then you fill in the scenery. So, a new movie could have a completely new ride "track", as it is just a path in an empty building, and you fill in the scenery. Unless they go cheap with the re-programs, it could be really cool and way more agile than anything they currently have.
Another problem with Epcot, specifically tomorrow land, is the lack of outdoor rides. The ball is gorgeous. Make the architecture gorgeous, and then weave some rides through it.

Another problem with Epcot, specifically tomorrow land, is the lack of outdoor rides. The ball is gorgeous. Make the architecture gorgeous, and then weave some rides through it.
Outdoor rides aren't great in Florida. Disney doesn't like to do outdoor rides much at all if they don't have to.

To follow up on rteetz, think of Test Track anytime it rains. You'd encounter the same problems.

Not dismissing as invalid. Just let's move a little more toward the middle. The doom and gloomers seem to be more heavily weighted on fan forums.

Let me ask you this purely hypothetical:

Let's say they had a half finished park...and let's say it's been that way for around 25 years...

Now let's say they decide to finally build a huge expansion with a Bigtime property in it...

But then decide to take 10-15% of the space and build some whacky tent/teepee type things that cost $200 bucks a pop so you can drink coke, bud and eat rice krispy treats while watching a fireworks show that they change - on average - every 18.67 years...

Now, that can't happen...no way...

But if it did, would not a little bit of a "gloom and doom" take be taken by a couple of dozen million visitors annually paying $5,000 + a week already be warranted?

Purely hypothetical...

Last edited:
Outdoor rides aren't great in Florida. Disney doesn't like to do outdoor rides much at all if they don't have to.

It also allows them to NOT build adult based things with an excuse...tough to push the envelope indoors...

...which is the mistake they are currently making somewhere in the cast parking lot at MGM right now.

It also allows them to NOT build adult based things with an excuse...tough to push the envelope indoors...

...which is the mistake they are currently making somewhere in the cast parking lot at MGM right now.
You mean the backlot? They aren't building on the current cast parking at DHS. The cast parking structure is still there and right next to where toy story is being built.

You mean the backlot? They aren't building on the current cast parking at DHS. The cast parking structure is still there and right next to where toy story is being built.

I honestly don't care...it was an allegory...

But you are correct...I was more discussing the area behind the stunt show...the old cast parking lot (my day)...which would be a spot to build lucas based stuff in the future.

The current parking used to be for actual Animators...imagine that? True story...

Not dismissing as invalid. Just let's move a little more toward the middle. The doom and gloomers seem to be more heavily weighted on fan forums.
I have been on the DIS for a while. I see a colossal shift in the past few years. The doom and gloom stuff used to be fairly infrequent. Now it's pretty common. I think you have to at least consider that there is more worthy of criticism these days.

Let me ask you this purely hypothetical:
Let's say they had a half finished park...and let's say it's been that way for around 25 years...
Now let's say they decide to finally build a huge expansion with a Bigtime property in it...
But then decide to take 10-15% of the space and build some whacky tent/teepee type things that cost $200 bucks a pop so you can drink coke, bud and eat rice krispy treats while watching a fireworks show that they change - on average - every 18.67 years...

Now, that can't happen...no way...

But if it did, would not a little bit of a "gloom and doom" take be taken by a couple of dozen million visitors annually paying $5,000 + a week already be warranted?

Purely hypothetical...

Did you say drink Bud? If so I'm in. :drinking1

Otherwise hoping they get a bit more creative than tents, hypothetically of course.

DetentionBlockAA23.png

starhotel_2.jpg

star-wars-hotel-m.jpg

starw.jpg

space_1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter