Epcot - Coral Reef or Teppen Edo

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by vanreg, Oct 18, 2013.

1. vanreg

vanreg Mouseketeer

Which would you pick? Coral Reef or Teppen Edo. We usually go to Le Cellier when we're at Epcot, but I don't think it's worth 2 dining credits.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Was a HokeyPokey addict, but turned myself around.

Our Ratings of Coral Reef: (Rev 7/10/2013)
    . . . food price value: B
    . . . food quality: C
    . . . food quantity per serving: B
    . . . food prep speed: C
    . . . food selection: B
    . . . seating quantity: B
    . . . seating comfort: C
    . . . eatery atmosphere: C
    . . . eatery convenience: B
    . . . staff friendliness: B
    . . . staff attentiveness: C
    . . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: The Coral Reef is a nice respite from normal dining, as is the wall which is the
    aquarium. One sees fish and sees divers tending to the fish and tank. Best views are
    from the second seating level, not right up against the tank. For best dishes, try the
    Mussels for an appy and the trout for the entrée. Other seafood are not good choices.
    The non-fish selections, like rubber chicken, are run of the mill or worse. New York Strip
    and Smashed Potatoes is always a good choice, Tell them to rest the steak before service
    at the table. Service can be spotty, so be prepared for slow waitresses. For those looking
    for a quiet and romantic outing, this is a place to pass, the really high noise level drowns
    out most conversations.

Our Ratings of Teppan Edo: (rev 2/19/2013)
    . . . food price value: C
    . . . food quality: C
    . . . food quantity per serving: C
    . . . food prep speed: B
    . . . food selection: C
    . . . seating quantity: C
    . . . seating comfort: C
    . . . eatery atmosphere: C
    . . . eatery convenience: B
    . . . staff friendliness: B
    . . . staff attentiveness: C
    . . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: Hibachi tables seat eight (two each side, four front side). Sometimes they can
    squeeze nine if several kids. Depending upon the chef it can be exciting and entertaining,
    or it can be almost dull. Quality is below a Benihana, but above average for Japanese
    cuisine. It should be noted that medium or large appetites will want to stop before or
    after dinner for a snack, as portions are medium-sized and big eaters can leave hungry.
    (Just to answer a common question, they only serve white rice, as fried rice is Chinese.)

NOTE2: We think the Benihana at the Hilton in the Downtown Disney Hotel District is better
    than Teppan Edo for both food quality and "the show" the chef puts on.

4. DVC Dude

DVC Dude Disney World Rocks!

The view at Coral Reef is amazing

5. troll buster

troll buster Mouseketeer

We love Coral Reef!

6. kastoney

kastoney Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Neither. Head to Via Napolli and enjoy some of Disneys best!

7. USMelinUK

USMelinUK Mouseketeer

I like Teppen Edo a lot! I wouldn't go to Coral Reef for any reason.

8. mjl1969

mjl1969 Mouseketeer

Coral reef , Nothing unique about TE , just another hibachi place

9. MyOtherSS

MyOtherSS Mouseketeer

If I had to choose I would pick Coral Reef and that's coming from someone who doesn't eat seafood. The atmosphere is really cool with the fish swimming by and we had really good food & service. Also it was VERY quiet compared to other restaurants we have dined at but we also did lunch not dinner but I'm sure experiences will vary. Teppen Edo the food was good but I feel like I could go down the street and get hibachi nothing really special about it.

10. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

Great fishtank, good steak and amazing desserts at Coral Reef. But it wouldn't be my first choice in Epcot.

11. Melanie B

Melanie B DIS Veteran

We enjoy both but we do prefer Teppan Edo

12. Shleedogg

Shleedogg DIS Veteran

We haven't tried coral reef as we're not seafood people. We just tried teppan edo for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! We've had several adrs there that got cancelled last minute because we weren't excited about it based on the menu. It does look pretty boring. I will say that we don't have a hibachi place close by and the kids and I have never been to one (DH has once). We thought the food was excellent.

You had to request white rice. They brought out a beef rice that I personally thought wad disgusting. Seasoning on everything was perfect, well cooked. Our chef was very funny. Perhaps not the most skilled when compared to the older chefs at other tables, but he was good and had all of us laughing. My super picky DH wants to go back every trip now.

13. vanillarum

vanillarum DIS Veteran

We ate at both this past trip. We have eaten at Coral Reef quite often, but it was our first trip to Teppan Edo. The food at both was fine. Like the pp's stated, depending on the size of your party (we had 4), you may sit with strangers. Not an issue with us. The biggest plus that Coral Reef has, at least for us (my DW was an avid scuba diver. I was fanatical !) is the aquarium. It is pretty amazing, and something worth seeing, at least once. Good luck.

14. gabzee

gabzee DIS Veteran

Between these two, I would pick Teppan Edo. However, I think that there are better restaurants in Epcot to choose from.

15. fallen_angel727

fallen_angel727 Here you leave today and enter the world of yester

I've never eaten at Coral Reef (it's on my to-do list)...I HAVE however, eaten at Teppen Edo, and it was excellent! The food was great and we had a wonderful chef and really enjoyed they show he put on :thumbsup2

16. GAGirlInVA

GAGirlInVA DIS Veteran

We thought TE was just okay. We have had amazing meals at hibachi steakhouses outside of Disney though, so it just seemed "meh" to us.

Coral Reef is on our ADR wishlist for this next trip. A friend just got back and said it was one of her favorite meals!

17. VillianDiva

VillianDiva Falling in LOVE with Disney!

Honestly, I wouldn't choose either of those. TE is a typical hibachi that you can get anywhere and Coral Reef just hasn't been great the past two times we have been there.

I would go with....Via Napoli, Chefs de France, or La Hacienda de San Angel.

18. hot_mama

hot_mama All Things DISNEY

Teppen Edo !!!

19. Mikka

Mikka Mouseketeer

Neither are really that great. Of the two, I would vote for Teppen Edo... but you can get better hibachi elsewhere, including at the DTD hotels. If I were you, I'd eat somewhere more unique in Epcot... TE is no different then any hibachi grill anywhere in the USA, and the Coral Reef has, admittedly, a cool aquarium that still probably won't pull your attention away from the fact that your food is pretty mediocre.