Envelope budgeting?

sunkissed212

DIS Veteran<br><font color=red>I belong to the Add
I've seen several people talking about budgeting for their trips by using envelopes for each type of expense that they might incur while at WDW. I'm interested in doing this type of budgeting for my trip next year.

I'm looking for suggestions of the typical "categories" that people create envelopes for.

I just saw a post where someone is creating an envelope for money to purchase her souvenier re-fillable mugs. So, I'll be doing this. And Mousekeeping came to mind as well - what are some others??

Thanks in advance!

Airfare
Transportation to hotel (or rental car)
Hotel room
Park tickets
Food
Character Meals
Souveniers
Mousekeeping
Special Events (MVMCP, etc.)
Misc.
Emergency Money
:flower:

Hi-

I am doing the envelope budgeting for the first time this year. We are going to WDW on 11/24 and 11/25 and then leaving on the 7-day Eastern Magic cruise on 11/26. I have tried to think of every expense we might encounter and here's what I've got envelopes for so far:

Tolls in Florida (we are renting a car)
Gas for car
Typhoon Lagoon (lunch & snacks - we already have the tickets)
Downtown Disney (hot cocoa! & snacks)
Lunch in MK (AllEarnsNet has all the menus and prices)
Dinner in MGM
Car rental
groceries for condo

I'm sure there are many more catgories you could add (like souveniers). Hope this helps a bit :wizard:

I have envelopes for

dog kennel
parking costs/valet parking/tips for valet
housekeeping/turndown service tip
snacks/drinks in airport
Candlelight Porcessional
gas
car rental

We're doing a package, and staying concierge, so I don't feel like we have alot of expenses.

Julia

I find this thread so helpful to 'remember' what we actually need to budget for. Thank you everyone for the information.
One sidenote..... the way gas prices are, make sure you budget atleast $300.00 for gas :laughing:

This is great! There's definitly some things that have been mentioned that I did not think of.

I think we're going to book a MYW package with dining (unfortunately, unless something great happens, I won't be able to stay concierge) but I know that I want to have everything "paid for" before we go - that way there are no surprises on the credit card bill afterwards and I think this is a GREAT way to do that.

Thanks!!!

Don't forget to budget for film developing if you don't want to wait til you get home.

minnieandme said:
Don't forget to budget for film developing if you don't want to wait til you get home.

oh man I started laughing so hard at this one..not the actual comment mind you but of a comment from my favorite comedians who is now deceased, but the great Mitch Hedberg once said "what's up with 1 hour photo..did you already forget what you took a picture of?"

oh man that's so funny...lol

sorry a little off topic, but man he was funny!!!

We figure out what we'll need during our stay, then I make the following envelopes:

If we're driving, 1 for the way down, 1 for the way home - both for food & gas
then, and envelope for each day to include food & souveniers. Lately, we've gotten so good, that most days we have money leftover and I just move it to the next day's envelope or split it over the remaining days. 2 years ago we came home with over $400!

It helps that the kids are older now and they 'earn' souvenier money (and we supplement it). Once they have to spend their own, they don't really want to part with it as easily!

We're going over Thanksgiving and adding on the meal plan (that's a great deal!), so we'll take very little cash with us. Probably set a daily limit on charging to the room, maybe $600 since we're going for just 6 days. I think $100 per day is plenty for 'other'!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts