Enlighten me re service dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally correct and

If you wish to pet the dog..*ALWAYS* ask first.....if the dog is working the owner will most likely say no and explain...but if the dog in off duty.....like in a dog park.........it maybe ok!

Each owner is different and each dog performs different tasks.

AKK
::yes::

I know this was probably not your intention, but it seems somewhat uncouth to me to demand people with disabilities "enlighten" you, as if it is their responsibility to correct your uneducated assumptions. Surely a quick google search on "pomeranian service dog" would have done the trick and seemed much less like you are demanding the disabled somehow justify themselves to you. :confused3

In short, is it really your business why she needed the dog?

Sorry, I thought people wouldn't mind taking the opportunity to teach and explain (probably because I used to be a teacher). Guess I was wrong. I had no idea it would come off as "demanding".

Sorry, I thought people wouldn't mind taking the opportunity to teach and explain (probably because I used to be a teacher). Guess I was wrong. I had no idea it would come off as "demanding".

Maybe, but can you imagine what a job that would be if you were expected to "educate" people all day long? At least you were getting paid!

Personally, I think people should generally mind their own business. You should have left that woman alone.

You did not come off demanding, you did nothing more then ask a question. It does seem ther PC folks have now decided even asking a question in public is now wrong...just becuase they have appionted themselves the PC police.doesnt not in any way mean they are correct!

In Addition Quite honestly....why anyone would be on the blog that is expected to answer people questions and then say you are to important to be bothered to answer them and then add a final insult of saying its your *demanding* even to ask..........well thats show how rude elleherself and lost in cyberspace and Mama who are!

Seems they should be looking at themselves and wondering why they are even here!:confused3

AKK

The only way to find out is to ask.
I think a forum is a better place to ask than an individual person that someone might encounter.

We do get asked frequently what DD’s Service Dog does and we are fine with answering. They are just curious and are very nice about it. That is different than someone coming up in an accusing tone wanting to know it is a service dog and what it does.

I think the OP was asking in a curious way and it is not necessarily easy to find out information like that by googling.

I know I'm not the person you quoted, but I want to make clear that I wasn't objecting to you asking here. That part I understand. I, personally, objected to the fact that you went up to the woman and asked if it was a service dog. I may be extra sensitive because I've had years of people questioning both my disability and my need for aids (both mobility aids and other sorts of aids). I tend to assume people are following the "rules" unless I have definite proof they aren't because it's so horrible to feel like you're constantly being doubted based on people's visual judgments. And, as I said before, even service animals can be forced to leave places if they are misbehaving so that's really the only level I even care about generally.

I think this thread has run its course and is a good time to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter