Emmysdaddy Joins the Damsels to Dine, Even with Princesses: Em started PDR see link

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by emmysmommy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. SAT887

SAT887 DIS Veteran

So disappointed we had to cancel this ADR... (sigh) it looks delish! I am not a big meat eater but the filet looks great! And, umm how could you not be in heaven over something cooked and soaked in truffle butter!!!:lmao:

Trip looks great so far!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Roma

Roma Mouseketeer

Oh my goodness I am completely torn over whether or not to order the filet with the risotto or the mashed potatoes! I LOVE mashed potatoes (they are without question my favorite food) but I worry that I'll be missing out if I don't try the risotto. Then I think about how when lunch changes to 2 TS that the mashed potatoes will probably be gone and I better get them while I can! Ugh who new eating could be so difficult? :laughing: Any advice here?

4. debrapagliasotti

debrapagliasotti DIS Veteran

We cancelled our ADR last time we were at WDW :faint:, BUT, we do have Christmas day lunch booked for LC and I cannot wait!

5. rachel09985

rachel09985 DIS Veteran

Great Le Cellier review! I could never ever get anything different than that mushroom filet. It is so good.

We have had Jill as our server before too. she is great!

6. SweetSpot

SweetSpot DIS Veteran

While I am strange and generally eat vegetables, including spinach, and soups for breakfast I would expect this dish to have the spinach mixed in with the eggs. I can't imagine what chef thought this was the way it should be served. The Wave doesn't seem like a place I would go out of my way to go to but I can see why you would since it's so convenient.

7. SweetSpot

SweetSpot DIS Veteran

LOL I was just about to Google it. I also thought it was an item. I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

8. francis6306

francis6306 DIS Veteran

I'm all caught up on this one!! :flower3: Thanks for all the yummy "must haves" that have been added to my list!

Going back to Tony's, I'm interested that you had such a good meal! I, too, had heard/read a lot of "meh" reviews… :scratchin

I can't believe Emily was sooo selfish and didn't order something new for you to try!!! What was she thinking?!?!?!:p

9. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Sounds like you had a wonderful lunch yet again in LC :goodvibes

Isn't it annoying when your other half doesn't jump up and down about a dish like you do .... I get "yeah it's nice/OK" all the time :rolleyes2

10 out of 10 for not letting the fizz go to waste :thumbsup2

10. Alysa

Alysa DIS Veteran

Good girl! ;)

11. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl DIS Veteran

I totally agree with your choice at Le Cellier, why go to a Steak restaurant and order anything else :thumbsup2

Lovely that you were served with champagne but I always feel that they should never serve a customer a free alcoholic drink if the customer has not ordered alcohol.

12. wilma-bride

wilma-bride <<This space intentionally blank>> Moderator

When we had dinner at Le Cellier for our Anniversary, we were also given free glasses of champagne but our server asked us if we had a problem with alcohol before she brought it out. I don't recall the exact words she used but she was very discreet and I think had we said we don't drink, she wouldn't have brought it.

13. kcool

kcool Mouseketeer

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your reviews. I always look forward to each update. I have read a few of your other reviews too! Keep them coming!

14. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

Le Cellier looks solid as usual! I really enjoyed the duck confit crêpe appetizer in May, and the mushroom filet is always very tasty. :thumbsup2

15. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Sheesh! I don't know how I fell so far behind again but I am ready for a few updates today!

Oh no, sorry you had a bad experience. It is one of my favorites but we haven't had any issues to date.

Hi Joh! Thanks for the confit definition! And yes, I was glad this was a great experience since it was Michael's first visit.

Hi Tracy! You have been sucked into dining repeat syndrome as well! LC does such a great job with their food!

Hi Becky! I agree - all the components of the mushroom filet are amazing! I was expecting Michael to beam when he tasted my filet but his underwhelming response had me scratching my head. Then again, he wonders why I won't eat sushi!

Aww.. thanks Barb! The champagne was a nice gesture so I couldn't waste it. And glad to know that my mushroom filet selection didn't affect my points to the negative!

Thanks! Maybe another time LC will work out for you! I absolutely agree that anything with truffle butter is utter bliss!

I suggest ordering the filet with the risotto but have it on the side. That way if you don't like it you can ask for the mashed potatoes to be swapped out. I love mashed potatoes but I adore the risotto with this dish.

Hi Debra! Oh my gosh! What a great meal to enjoy on Christmas!!!!! I'm excited for you with that one!

See... we think alike! I don't recall if you are going to LC this trip or if you have F&W overload in Epcot?? If you do, I wish you all the eating enjoyment of the filet!!

Ha! Yes, I did expect the spinach to be IN the scramble but I like spinach by itself anyway but this was just not that great! We'll be back since it is so conventient and others in my family do like it!

:)

Tony's was an afterthought for us since our first meal there was unremarkable. Now after having a great lunch I'm not sure if I just happened to order the one thing that I really love or if they have vastly improved.

Ha! Yes, bad kid, not thinking of me!

Hi Linda!!! Either I set my expectations too high for Michael to like what I like or I need a reality check since our tastes are so different. I mean, he doesn't care for Mickey waffles - sheesh! And yes, I wouldn't have wanted to offend the kind gesture of our server by ignoring the champagne.

:thumbsup2

Hi Marie! ha.. yes, a steakhouse deserves a slab of meat - I like your thinking!

I guess our server must have figured since I was drinking that Michael must also drink... :confused3 but yes, I would assume if no alcohol was ordered they may not imbibe.

See - that's a great way to handle that! Although I wouldn't have minded them throwing a maple creme brulee our way!!

Thanks Kcool!!! Glad to know you are reading... although lately you have had to wait a looooong time between updates. I promise to be better. ;)

Hi Mr. DDW! Glad that you liked LC as well. I didn't taste the duck crepe so I wonder if I am missing out on something. :laughing:

16. emmysmommy

emmysmommy DIS Veteran

Grand Floridian Cafe - Dinner

[​IMG]

Although Em and I have had breakfast at GFC several times, this was a new experience for dinner. I had considered changing our dining reservation from dinner to lunch because I thought I preferred the lunch menu. However, I was glad that we didn’t change anything……We took the monorail from CR to GF for our 8:25ADR.

[​IMG]

The restaurant was not busy at that time so there was no wait before we were seated. The host was thoughtful enough to grab a black napkin for Em since she was wearing a dark dress. Our server was Dot and she was our buddy for the evening! She was engaging and friendly, laughed at our jokes, and made Michael tuck in his napkin!

See? A black napkin for Em!:
    [​IMG]

To get started we placed our drink orders, nothing special or exciting other than Em decided that central Florida tap water was not for her this evening so ordered a bottle of Evian. (Uh yeah, $7 for a bottle of water seems a bit pricy but heck when you are paying $19 for a burger why not?)

[​IMG]

We were provided a basket of rolls and butter that were not really memorable; however, I do recall that the butter was sprinkled with kosher salt so that’s always a yummy enhancement! I only had a couple bites and decided that it wasn’t worth wasting stomach space for bread. Michael doesn’t have a bread stomach so he didn’t touch the rolls while Em did have one but it wasn’t as good as the pretzel bread earlier in the day!

[​IMG]

Let’s move onto our appetizer orders. There were a lot of great options on the menu so we just started to randomly order items before someone claimed a dish for their own. The featured soup was a lovely corn chowder which was calling to Michael. I wanted the shrimp appetizer while Em decided to have the Caesar salad. We also decided to share the cheese plate. Now I knew that ordering appetizers, for me, would be the kiss of death for any meaningful entrée option but I couldn’t help myself. Rather like being able to walk by Sweet Spells without getting a carrot cake cookie – it wasn’t going to happen!

Em’s salad was comprised of fresh crispy romaine topped with fresh grated parmesan and house-made croutons while it had the perfect ratio of dressing-to-greens! Nicely done GFC!

Caesar Salad: $5.49
    [​IMG]

The corn chowder was rich and creamy and nicely savory with bacon crumbles on top. I had a couple bites and would have had more but Michael sucked it down. Shameless!

Seasonal Soup; Corn Chowder: $5.49

[​IMG]

The shrimp appetizer was nicely presented with a drizzle of basil chive oil but I found the cocktail sauce to be rather lacking on the horseradish. I prefer cocktail sauce to be on the spicy side with plenty of heat from horseradish so this was a little bland for my taste.

Shrimp Cocktail; Fragrantly poached shrimp served with fresh tomato-horseradish cocktail salsa: $12.99
    [​IMG]

As for the cheese, I seriously wished that Michael and Em had kept their paws off of it because I loved everything on that plate. The three cheeses were St. Pete’s bleu, Reypenaer Gouda, and Truffle Tremor – which is a goat cheese. The honeycomb, raisins on the vine, and the wedge of something that I can’t quite recall as anything other than a type of bread were exquisite with the cheeses. The sesame crackers were unremarkable and were barely touched. My absolute favorite was the Gouda which was perfectly tangy!

Grand Floridian Cheese Plate; Truffle Tremor, Reypenaer Gouda, St. Pete’s Select Bleu with assorted accoutrements & sesame crackers: $11.99
    [​IMG]

For our entrees, Michael went with a beef option – or rather an Angus chuck option… he had the Grand Floridian Burger which is topped with butter poached lobster, spicy arugula, and a red onion marmalade. It is served on a buttery brioche bun that was delightful – my words, not his! He ordered the marmalade on the side.

Grand Floridian Burger with house-made chips: $19.49
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Emily wanted to try the daily sustainable catch – or another words – the fish of the day. Today it happened to be Grouper. Em, nor any of us, had tried grouper so we couldn’t tell her what manner of fish it may be – particularly was it mild, fleshy, or any other characteristics of this option. Dot was unsure so she checked with the chef and told us that it was a mild white fish. That sounded great to Em. The fish was served atop a colorful selection of steamed veggies and sprinkled with house made croutons and a creamy mustardy sauce.

Daily Sustainable Catch; Grouper: $20.99
    [​IMG]

As for my entrée selection, I went with a light option of a Seasonal Salad from the Appetizer selections. This was seriously one of the best salads I have had in a very long time – certainly the best of the trip. It was mixed greens tossed with pear slices, St. Pete’s Select bleu cheese crumbles (same as the cheese plate), candied pecans, and drizzled with an amazing pear champagne vinaigrette. Delish!! It was so fresh and flavorful…. My taste buds were so very happy! I was seriously in danger of having a What About Bob moment and moan in delight.

Seasonal Salad: $5.49
    [​IMG]

It was about this time that Dot took a low blow and reminded us that Grand Floridian Café had a wonderful dessert menu and that we shouldn’t pass up their fresh fruit tarts. We took one look at the menu and decided that we would split the dessert sampler which consisted of a Fresh Berry Tart (layers of almond cake topped with seasonal berries and an apricot glaze), Boston Cream Pie (vanilla chiffon cake with vanilla custard topped with dark chocolate glaze), Key Lime Tart (chocolate crust topped with caramelized sugar), and Lemon Cheesecake dome. What they didn’t describe was that there was a chocolate Mickey served in all of his chocolaty gloriousness in the middle of the plate.

Just so I didn’t have to spar with anyone while diving into these lovely desserts, I carved out a little of each in a preemptive bid to make sure I was able to try all of the samples! I was especially interested in the fruit tart since it looked like a winner; however, the lemon cheesecake ended up being my favorite. Honestly, all of these desserts were very good!

Dessert Sampler; Fresh Berry Tart, Boston Cream Pie, Key Lime Tart & Lemon Cheesecake and let’s not forget a chocolate Mickey: $9.99
    [​IMG]

My own little dessert plate:
    [​IMG]

This certainly didn’t rival the dessert that Mr. DDW’s mom was presented here but it was still very good!

The total cost of the meal was $107.66 with $20.93 in TiW savings. I would definitely add this restaurant to our future dining line up for lunch or dinner.

Restaurant photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next Up: Whispering Canyon Cafe breakfast

17. DonaldDoleWhip

DonaldDoleWhip DIS Veteran

Your dinner at GFC looks so good! Sorry that the horseradish cocktail sauce was relatively bland (I would also prefer it with a kick), but everything else looks fantastic. :goodvibes

The desserts also look really good - next time, I'm looking forward to ordering dessert from the regular menu (and hopefully someone else will receive our dose of pixie dust instead). :)

18. GoofySon'sMom

GoofySon'sMom DIS Veteran

I knew that your GFE review would make me regret that we didn't eat there in August. Although I really don't know what I would have wanted cancelled to fit it in! I just love the look of that dessert plate ... and your portion plate looks perfect!

Really glad that you enjoyed your meal. We will get there one day!

19. debrapagliasotti

debrapagliasotti DIS Veteran

Just so you know, I may or may not have just added a lunch ADR at GFC during our trip in Dec :rolleyes1

That burger looks delightful :)

20. jecskc

jecskc DIS Veteran

We went to GFC for dinner in June of 2011 and we REALLY loved it !! We have it back in our plans when we go back in November. I really love the currant rolls they serve in the bread basket. Soooo yummy. Thanks for sharing.

21. LittleStinkerbelle

LittleStinkerbelle DIS Veteran

Great review of GFC! My parents have been raving about GFC for years and we finally got to try it for breakfast last year - very good! I'd like to make it back for dinner one day. The dessert sampler looks great - the lemon cheesecake looks very similar to the one they serve upstairs at Citricos.