Emergency Evacuation Procedures at Disney's Polynesian Villas

Last Wednesday morning, several individuals failed to successfully push the door open on the third floor. The responding cast members opened the door from the outside to release it. Although the response might be different in a fire, during last week's outage the door did not open after numerous push attempts.

It could very well be an isolated incident, but it does not change the fact that cast members responded and had to open the doors from the outside. The video may show what should happen in practice, but our comparable actions did not result in the door opening.
That is genuinely scary. Who is to say there will be power in a true emergency?

Please contact the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) and make a complaint. It will either be the state or city (local) fire marshals office. If you don't know, call 911 and make a complaint. This should be investigated ASAP. It's hard to comment without knowing the building, exiting, etc, but the doors should either push open or unlock with loss of power (fail safe design). If they push open, they need to push open with a minimum amount of force that can be found in the building/fire code or manufacturers paperwork. They also need to have the labels/stickers on the door so people know to push in case of emergency. Fire and building codes are designed for life safety not security. Security isn't even a concern when it comes to codes. You should always be able to exit a building in an emergency.

Please contact the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) and make a complaint. It will either be the state or city (local) fire marshals office. If you don't know, call 911 and make a complaint. This should be investigated ASAP. It's hard to comment without knowing the building, exiting, etc, but the doors should either push open or unlock with loss of power (fail safe design). If they push open, they need to push open with a minimum amount of force that can be found in the building/fire code or manufacturers paperwork. They also need to have the labels/stickers on the door so people know to push in case of emergency. Fire and building codes are designed for life safety not security. Security isn't even a concern when it comes to codes. You should always be able to exit a building in an emergency.

Disney is the authority having jurisdiction they run their own little world, two cities, Reedy Creek Improvement District, building inspection, security and fire protection.

Reedy Creek Building & Safety can be reached at 407-828-2034.

:earsboy: Bill

Unfortunately, DVC resorts do not offer the Florida Special design that is offered on the regular resort side. All DVC handicapped accessible villas have roll in showers, the Florida Special design has a shower with multiple support rails. We need the rails, not the roll-in design, so we do not book the DVC accessible villas.

@SpaceMountain77 I'm not certain where this information came from but there are DVC Florida Special rooms and if not that at all resorts there are accessible rooms with tubs. We actually were just in one - a Jambo Concierge 1BR - that one was not labeled FL special but it had a tub with multiple rails. When you go online and choose an accessible room for booking the various options will be available to select and will tell you if it has a tub or roll in shower. I just looked at Poly and they do have FL accessible options there too as well as options with accessible tub and also the roll-in shower rooms as have a few other resorts I've looked at - BLT comes to mind as a definite.

Last edited:
@SpaceMountain77 I'm not certain where this information came from but there are DVC Florida Special rooms and if not that at all resorts there are accessible rooms with tubs. We actually were just in one - a Jambo Concierge 1BR - that one was not labeled FL special but it had a tub with multiple rails. When you go online and choose an accessible room for booking the various options will be available to select and will tell you if it has a tub or roll in shower. I just looked at Poly and they do have FL accessible options there too as well as options with accessible tub and also the roll-in shower rooms as have a few other resorts I've looked at - BLT comes to mind as a definite.
Lucky you! Our one time booking AKV CL, we were assigned a 1BR unit without a tub. We had only the roll-in shower.

Lucky you! Our one time booking AKV CL, we were assigned a 1BR unit without a tub. We had only the roll-in shower.

Yes, we felt lucky because it meant we finally got the savannah side instead of pool! :D

But we don't mind the roll-in showers when we've gotten them, although that's been at BWV. When we were told we had an accessible room at Jambo I actually was expecting that we had gotten the roll-in so was surprised with the tub!

That is CRAZY about the doors, I am surprised someone didn't try to bake them down

Per the photo shared they are labeled.

I can't believe Disney is not violating a building or OSHA code. What happens in a fire and power is lost? Are people trapped behind glass doors that won't open?

With this post, it is my intent to note several things. Regarding safety, it is certainly alarming to know that the sliding glass doors cannot be opened when power is lost; the doors need to be opened from the outside by a cast member. If an emergency evacuation is required in Pago Pago, second and third floor guests would need to jump from the balconies, break the glass doors, or wait for a ladder rescue.

This is truly disturbing! How was this even allowed? This makes me not want to stat at Poly until it is resolved. My father is a fire fighter and I've heard too many stories about what happens when people can't easily exit a building.

I do hope that you raise the issues to anyone who will listed. I commend your attitude about not trying to get anything in return other than your mom being happy and perhaps changes for the future. We are coming up to our first DVC trip this September and makes me sad that DVC members are treated differently to other guests. Not only did we pay/are paying for our trips in some way, we will ALWAYS be paying in annual dues. I've heard several stories that make me shake my head, but this is the worst.

I hope the rest of your trip is a happy one and without incident!:goodvibes

This is truly disturbing! How was this even allowed? This makes me not want to stat at Poly until it is resolved. My father is a fire fighter and I've heard too many stories about what happens when people can't easily exit a building.

I do hope that you raise the issues to anyone who will listed. I commend your attitude about not trying to get anything in return other than your mom being happy and perhaps changes for the future. We are coming up to our first DVC trip this September and makes me sad that DVC members are treated differently to other guests. Not only did we pay/are paying for our trips in some way, we will ALWAYS be paying in annual dues. I've heard several stories that make me shake my head, but this is the worst.

I hope the rest of your trip is a happy one and without incident!:goodvibes

First, let me say that I have been a DVC member since 1997. I have NEVER, EVER been treated differently than other guests. I have observed guests being welcomed as they come through the lobby doors...no matter if they are DVC or non-DVC. Although I have seen members that think they should be treated like royalty and argue with cast members if they don't get the very particular view they wanted. No guest at any resort should be treated differently from any other...regardless of whether they are staying on DVC points or are paying cash for a DVC room.

I am wondering how people come to the conclusion that non-DVC members are treated better...how do they know? And how do they come to these conclusions? If a CM is giving them attitude, then that CM should be reported to management. Perhaps that CM gives attitude to all resort guests and should not have a job there.

The good and happy stories truly outweigh the mishaps. I, too, was very concerned when I first read this....until I saw the photos of the emergency instructions posted on the glass doors. Along with the information that there are interior stairways as well. We just stayed there for one night and could not remember if there were interior stairwells. After reading the initial posts, I was wondering how Disney could pass fire codes and inspections. I know how seriously fire codes are enforced. Anyone familiar with the state agency knows this too. However, now that more "information" has come to light, well, it seems that things are all within "code". If the glass doors did not "open when pushed", seems like the manufacturer needs to be taken to task...or perhaps the installer. Either way, I am sure this issue has been addressed, as real Disney people are assigned to read the numerous forums out there.

The good and happy stories truly outweigh the mishaps. I, too, was very concerned when I first read this....until I saw the photos of the emergency instructions posted on the glass doors. Along with the information that there are interior stairways as well. We just stayed there for one night and could not remember if there were interior stairwells. After reading the initial posts, I was wondering how Disney could pass fire codes and inspections. I know how seriously fire codes are enforced. Anyone familiar with the state agency knows this too. However, now that more "information" has come to light, well, it seems that things are all within "code". If the glass doors did not "open when pushed", seems like the manufacturer needs to be taken to task...or perhaps the installer. Either way, I am sure this issue has been addressed, as real Disney people are assigned to read the numerous forums out there.

Technology fails, even at Disney Parks:

Orlando Sentinel - Firefighters rescue guests stuck on ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom, May 7, 2015
http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83486054/

LA Times - California Screamin' roller coaster gets stuck at Disney California Adventure, April 3, 2015
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83217536/

LA Times: Disneyland Ferris wheel stuck for hours, passengers say, October 2, 2014
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81572379/

On Wednesday, May 13, shortly after 10am, technology failed at Pago Pago. We could not exit a 3-story building during a power outage. Attractions, food and resorts may be regularly inspected, but things happen, even at Disney Parks.

I'm not clear if there was a technology failure. Did the guests follow the emergency egress instructions to open the doors? Did the CM's?

I'm not clear if there was a technology failure. Did the guests follow the emergency egress instructions to open the doors? Did the CM's?

Guests proceeded calmly and rationally toward the nearest exit, which was located on the western side of the building. Guests observed the doorway and made note of any possible obstructions. The door was not obstructed by any object so, after carefully reading the instructions provided on the door, several guests attempted to open the door. After several failed attempts, the front desk was contacted, by phone, to alert them of the situation. When the two cast members responded, they approached the eastern side of the building and opened the doors from the outside. Guests were not provided with instructions as to how to open the doors from the inside. Moreover, throughout the day, the doors on the western side of the building remained closed, they were never opened electronically or by a cast member.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your experience. We had a bad experience at Poly in February. The experience is bad enough but the way they handle it - makes it so much worse. I love the Poly resort but after the way management handled our experience we will not be staying there again any time soon. We wrote letters and made many phone calls - and hopefully it would have helped the next family.

How they didn't give you a place to stay temporarily is truly shocking.

I am so sorry for your experience. We had a bad experience at Poly in February. The experience is bad enough but the way they handle it - makes it so much worse. I love the Poly resort but after the way management handled our experience we will not be staying there again any time soon. We wrote letters and made many phone calls - and hopefully it would have helped the next family.

Are you speaking of the hotel part of the Poly? The DVC side did not open until April 1st, although I may be wrong about that.

I do agree that many of the CM's at the Poly did not seem up to the task. Not sure if they have not had enough training regarding DVC policies, if they are just overwhelmed by the construction and confusion and guest complaints regarding that, or if they are not happy with the changes. I also agree that maybe the opening of the DVC section was pushed along a little too quickly. We were not disturbed by any construction noises, but we were there on a Sat - Sun. There WAS construction going on, but nothing loud. And we were in a corner room, adjacent to the longhouse they are now working on.

On Wednesday, May 13, shortly after 10am, technology failed at Pago Pago. We could not exit a 3-story building during a power outage. Attractions, food and resorts may be regularly inspected, but things happen, even at Disney Parks.

I'm not saying that things don't happen at Disney. I got stuck in SpaceShip Earth one year...on the part where you start going down backwards. We sat there quite a while until all the lights came on and we had to walk down. Pretty interesting to see the inside of the globe like that.

What annoys me about your experience is that the CMs did not instruct you to use the interior stair case to get out of the building. Better yet, one of them should have used those stairs to get to you and lead you down. Hope your mom has recovered and still wants to go the F&W in October. A few lessons I have learned from this thread: As much as I hate ground floor rooms (for security purposes) I now know that I will need to request one when travelling with someone that would have difficulty using the stairs in case of an emergency. I have an upcoming trip with an elder, but will be staying off-site. I've checked to make sure the two story we will be in has a ground floor bedroom. I will always study the emergency escape route posted on the back of the room door. And for my next trip at BLT, I will scout out the location of the stairs myself. Now THAT building kind of scares me fire-wise. Oh....and I always pack a good flashlight when travelling. I liked the fact that the cruise ships provide them in the staterooms (don't ever want to have to use one on a cruise!!) and that gave me the idea to always pack one.

I would never assume that a part time, collage student CM is fully trained or experienced in emergency evacuation procedures. If you are trapped in a building a call to 911 would have been the best option.

What annoys me about your experience is that the CMs did not instruct you to use the interior stair case to get out of the building. Better yet, one of them should have used those stairs to get to you and lead you down.
Is there an interior staircase in Pago Pago?

I really can't thank you enough I have revisited my requests for our stay and hope for the best we are out of options for places to stay at this point. I think your posts have been a great explanation of what happened and appreciate you posting exactly what your experience was. I choose to error on the side of caution don't plan on counting on the fact that it's been fixed. Yours definitely isn't the only report on the less than pleasant CM's at that resort or the pointing out of DVC vs Resort guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!