Embarassing question... (kind of restaurant related)

Grits are deeelicious. I love them with salt and butter. When DH and I were in Boston,I was craving them bad. We paid our room service guy big tip bucks to find some for me. The next morning,I had grits for breakfast. That was one of my all-time favorite travel breakfasts.Grits also stands for:
G-girls
R-raised
I-in
T-the
S-south

Wow, who would've thought that there was such a wide variety of grits recipies. :goodvibes

I admit that I am super picky... so if I try grits, it'll be a big step for me.

Maybe grits are an acquired taste... then again we eat some 'different' things up here in Canada. Ketchup Chips (so good!) and Poutine (talk about bad for the arteries, but so yummy!)

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Never , and I mean never, buy or cook instant grits. Some may like them, but most true southerners wouldn't dare. Either get the quick grits or the longer cooking grits. I still like to cook my quick grits longer than is called for.

The right amount of salt and butter makes it just right. I have never really thought of it as a cereal. It is good with cheese mixed in at times.
I also like to mix my eggs with it at times. Put you some red eye gravy or milk gravy(also known as sawmill gravy) on it and yum, yum.:woohoo:

Some people like to eat grits with fish.

Just come down to Georgia and we'll show you how to eat grits.

Also, I agree about the Cracker Barrel. They are good.:thumbsup2

Never , and I mean never, buy or cook instant grits. Some may like them, but most true southerners wouldn't dare. Either get the quick grits or the longer cooking grits. I still like to cook my quick grits longer than is called for.

Buy the instant grits and cook them like the quick grits. I like mine cooked longer too, so this shortens it to the time it is *supposed* to be for the quick ones. (And then they are creamy and yuuuuuuuuummmmy) Hope that made sense! LOL!

Love Cream of Wheat, HATE Grits. Had them twice in my life. Once in Florida in 1970 when I was down there with my High School Band for the Orange Bowl & Parade. We had them at breakfast. Only had them the first day because they were soooo gross. The rest of the breakfast wasn't much better (greasy, soggy bacon and scrambled eggs that tasted like they had been made from dried egg powder) The second time, my youngest DB made me breakfast. I should have known something was up cause he never made me breakfast or anything else for that matter. He told me he had made cream of wheat, but as soon as I had the first spoonful in my mouth I knew he had lied to me. He knew of my experience from Florida with grits and decided to have some fun with it. You would think I would learn not to trust him, but at his wedding the next year I was drinking Boone's Farm Apple Wine and the bottle was empty. He hands me a shot glass and says he just emptied the bottle into it. Of course it wasn't wine, it was straight whiskey. I spent the next 5 min. with my mouth under the kitchen faucet trying to get rid of the burn.

Another tip on cooking GOOD grits....use a large wire wisk. When your water comes to a boil, slowly add the grits while quickly wisking the water and grits mixture in the pot. While cooking the grits (for a minimum 20 minutes)use the wisk for stirring too. I don't use a spoon at all until I am ready to transfer the grits to a bowl for some delicious eats. I also like the eggs mix-in version too (although I have to use egg beaters for other reasons...) well...basically I like to mix in any and all breakfast items on my plate...cheese, bacon. eggs, sausage, ham, etc except for the toast, although you can dip the toast into the grits mixture for more yummy fun:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter