Elmo actor Kevin Clash resigns; new accuser files suit - and now a 3rd.

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by JessicaR, Nov 20, 2012.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

Elmo actor Kevin Clash resigns; new accuser files suit.

I didn't really follow it the first time around. I guess it was time for he and Sesame Street to squash the negative publicity.

I wonder if it's legitimate or just someone else out looking to wreak havoc.

What do you think this will mean for the character? Just replace him, or discontinue his presence all together.

Depressing for the character Elmo. My kids loved him.

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20147557/sesame-workshop-says-elmo-actor-kevin-clash-resigned

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kirstenb1

kirstenb1 DIS Veteran

So sad. I hope they can find someone else to be Elmo; he's such a huge part of Sesame Street.

4. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

They'll likely replace him. would'nt be the first time they had to recast a voice.

5. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Yeah, but doesn't he own the rights to Elmo? :confused3

6. FlightlessDuck

FlightlessDuck Pluto's personal nose scratcher

I don't see why he would.

7. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

I'm always a little skeptical of single accusations against celebrities but, much like good old MJ, once any type of payoff is made I instantly believe the accuser.

No way would anyone who is innocent of molesting children pay to make it go away, not even if it is cheaper than fighting it. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

8. JessicaR

JessicaR <font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>

I figure they will replace him too unless more people come forward and the characters image is tainted.

9. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

I read in an article that Kevin Clash had already suggested replacements and they have already filled in for him. He was so talented. What a fool.

10. JennaDeeDooDah

JennaDeeDooDah My oh my what a wonderful day!

I loathe Elmo. It is because of him that we do not watch Sesame Street in this house. We get the DVDs and will watch various clips, but none with Elmo. Now Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, and the Count are the bee's knees.

I vote that they send Elmo away with his perverted puppeteer.

11. ShesAPirate

ShesAPirate DIS Veteran

This is a sad situation all around, but I totally agree -- never liked Elmo, or the way he basically took over Sesame Street, pushing all the other (better) characters aside.

12. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I dont necessarily think that someone like MJ is guilty just because he paid off the accuser. Think about it from MJ's side, even if you are innocent, why go thru a lengthy trial and spend all that money on legal fee's if the accuser agree's to a financial settlement? If that is an option, then why not go that route. In the end, even if MJ is found not guilty, people will judge him and state their opinions about the case no matter what.

I couldnt agree with you more. Lol! I CANT STAND ELMO. Every other character is fine, but elmo makes me cringe. I say good riddance to elmo.

13. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

There is something about Elmo that kids. Elmo even has more stuff in Sesame Place than Big Bird. He's on their water tower, has he own section, he has a show. He certainly is their cash cow.

14. donaldlovesdaisy

donaldlovesdaisy DIS Veteran

What a sad story this has truned out to be even if he is innocent things will never be the same.

15. Sgt Mickey

Sgt Mickey <font color=red>I will always remember where I was

I don't know sometimes I wonder the opposite if it was my child I would want more then money I would want justice and that person behind bars.

16. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

Sorry, I don't buy it. No one walking the Earth will ever be able to convince me that someone falsely accused of molesting a child would payout to avoid their day in court. I'd bankrupt myself before I did such a thing.

17. goofyintoronto

If it truly did happen, then why would the accuser accept the money so easily? If i was molested, i'd tell the person to stick the money where the sun dont shine...because ultimately all i want is the person to be prosecuted and put behind bars. When you accept the settlement, it makes me think the accuser was just after the money to begin with. I could NEVER accept the money. I would if i were a con artist. But otherwise, a big fat NO!

18. msjprincess

msjprincess DIS Veteran

That's the part that has never made sense to me. What kind of parents accept money instead of doing everything in their power to send the molester to jail?

19. goofyintoronto

My point exactly! Youre instantly looked at as a money hungry fool. A true victim would want JUSTICE. Not money.

20. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

I can see both sides from that POV, because whether innocent or guilty the longer the issue is in the headlines the harsher the verdict from the court of public opinion.

It is the other angle I don't get... As a parent, if I believed that anyone had harmed my child in such a disgusting and depraved way there's no way in hell I'd accept anything short of locking the pervert up. I certainly wouldn't take a big money payoff and leave the sicko free to prey on the next kid that comes along. So I tend to be immediately suspicious of accusers who shut up for the right price, as well as of those who file civil suit without a criminal complaint.

21. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

Honestly? To avoid having them go through the pain of testifying in court...of being hounded by reporters. Of having to relive the horror. To avoid the death threats from the sycophants who think the accused is innocent.