elementary school homework

My DD just started kindergarten and has had up to 45 minutes of homework every night, except Friday. Some of what she is given is just plain stupid. Today she had 4 pages of "circle the yellow circles and circle the small squares" kinda stuff...you're kidding right?!?! I haven't met a kindergartner yet that couldn't do that in his or her sleep. Some of it is just busy work and I hate that. I keep it upbeat and do it right after school so it is done. But I fear she'll grow to hate doing it at all. My daughter gets off the bus at 3:15, eats a snack, does homework, eats dinner, relaxes and starts getting ready for bed at 6 so she can get up at 6:30 and do it all again. Forget it when she has an activity after school and 45 mins of homework. My SIL warned me about the homework situation but we thought my DD wouldn't get as much because she has full day where her DS had 1/2 day. Sometimes I feel like she doesn't get to play outside or unwind enough. I can't wait for BTS night tomorrow to find out what gives.

The frustrating thing about homework, from my perspective......is that my 8 year old is in school 7.5 hours a day.....what are you NOT doing in 7.5 hours that would require me to sit with him for over an hour per night and teach him at home?

7.5 hours is plenty of school for an 8 year old.

Ok, whew, just had to get that out!

Dawn

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

The frustrating thing about homework, from my perspective......is that my 8 year old is in school 7.5 hours a day.....what are you NOT doing in 7.5 hours that would require me to sit with him for over an hour per night and teach him at home?

7.5 hours is plenty of school for an 8 year old.

Ok, whew, just had to get that out!

Dawn

what they are not doing is sitting one on one with your child and giving them their undivided attention. they have a whole class, usually 15-30 kids. they lay the ground work, its your job to make sure your child is getting it.
of course you dont have to do it, but your child will thank you when he's older:thumbsup2

Well, that says it all doesn't it? I am currently homeschooling for that very reason! :hippie:

BTW: I am a teacher, but I am not working right now.

Dawn

what they are not doing is sitting one on one with your child and giving them their undivided attention. they have a whole class, usually 15-30 kids. they lay the ground work, its your job to make sure your child is getting it.
of course you dont have to do it, but your child will thank you when he's older:thumbsup2

Well, that says it all doesn't it? I am currently homeschooling for that very reason! :hippie:

BTW: I am a teacher, but I am not working right now.

Dawn

but, a homeschooled child doesnt get class interaction, at all. so there are pros and cons to each.

My DD6 is in a 1/2 split. She is in the "first grade". However they only teach the second grade cirriculum in this class. So she basically went from K to 2nd. We have about 2 hours of homework each night. She gets her packet on Mondays. She needs to read 30 minutes per night, 16 spelling words per week, 20 vocabulary words, 2 story maps (which includes reading 2 entire books and then title, author, setting, main characters, what the problem in the story is, what happened 1st,2nd and 3rd, how the problem is solved and what the authors point was). All to be written in sentences, read and memorize one poem (this weeks poem was a John Updike, September) Then one other comprehension paper and a math worksheet sent home a couple of nights a week. The problem is not her reading the books for the story maps it is spelling all the words correctly. She just came out of kindergarten! Does anyone else think this is alot of homework for a 6 year old! She is smart and tested high enough to be in this class but gosh. When my DD8 was in a 1/2 split they did 2nd grade work during the school day but 1st grade homework. I feel like she never gets to play. We have dance and basketball during the week which she will not give up she needs some time away from schoolwork. Sorry I am just not sure what to do.

Yet, so often its the teachers -through their union- that are the 1st to say that parents aren't qualified to "teach" their kids...but its the parent's job to make sure the child "gets it?":confused3

I think the primary reason the so much is now being handed to the parents is that the schools have taken on a role that has them more concerned about teaching "values" rather than the three Rs. The day is spent learning how alternate lifestyles are OK, sex is taught across the grades and curriculum, children's writing assignments are letters to the editor supporting the teachers perspective on the latest political issue, etc. Don't forget, having the teachers done with their work right at 3, with no extra time spent is paramount.

Our "good" district has the kids turn in their books 2 weeks before the end of school and has the kids watch movies that count towards "insturction minutes." Most of the rest of professionals in the world routinely work a full 8 hour day and still have regular, unpaid overtime and weekends. Teachers want profession pay, but to have "employee" hours and benefits...the result is not enough time during the class hours for all the "pet" issues and still getting the real reason kids are there accomplished....so hand it off to mom and dad. The added bonus is that by handing the "getting it" to mom and dad is that when Johnny can't read its the PARENTS' fault! The folks weren't involved enough/care enough/take enough time, etc. Notice that none of the problems in the school are EVER the teacher's fault.....try it, name one that the teacher's have owned?

Also, the teacher want their evenings off because they've worked their day...but are OK with handing KIDS hours of additional work? Last I checked, the kids were in the class too! If the day is long enough that an adult teacher needs a "break", then certainly the children do, also.

-I'll pull on my flame-proof suit as I know I just made a Big Mac outta some sacred cows....:goodvibes

but, a homeschooled child doesnt get class interaction, at all. so there are pros and cons to each.

At the risk of overstating, I suspect that parents who are concerned and involved enough with their children to take on homeschooling are probably capable of finding social outlets for their children. The social outlets are probably even positive, no muggings for lunch money, no fear of using the bathrooms, no animal-style gang behavior against the "weird" kids, etc. Homeschool kids are not segragated into artificial groups based on birthday [age level] but learn to interact with a wide variety of ages. Besides, in an age when the schools are crying no time to offer subject mastery, I really have to question how much "good interaction" time kids are getting?:confused3

At the risk of overstating, I suspect that parents who are concerned and involved enough with their children to take on homeschooling are probably capable of finding social outlets for their children. The social outlets are probably even positive, no muggings for lunch money, no fear of using the bathrooms, no animal-style gang behavior against the "weird" kids, etc. Homeschool kids are not segragated into artificial groups based on birthday [age level] but learn to interact with a wide variety of ages. Besides, in an age when the schools are crying no time to offer subject mastery, I really have to question how much "good interaction" time kids are getting?:confused3

oh my, where do you kids go to school? i suppose i would homeschool as well.
there is a big difference between social outings and classroom interaction where ideas and problem solving bounce from one child to the next.
i have no interest in arguing the pros and cons of homeschooling. people choose what is right for their family. there is no "right" way. like i said there are pros and cons to each. any parent who thinks otherwise is wrong. its just not black and white.
as far as "good interaction"time, its our job as parents to find the proper school for our children. it no longer exsists that one must send their child to a specific school because of the street they live on. so obviously if my childs school was "crying" that there wasnt enough time, i would not send her to that school.
regardless of the type of schooling you choose for your child, school is not a 7 hour a day thing. all practices your child is learning need to be reiterated throughout the day.

Yet, so often its the teachers -through their union- that are the 1st to say that parents aren't qualified to "teach" their kids...but its the parent's job to make sure the child "gets it?":confused3

I think the primary reason the so much is now being handed to the parents is that the schools have taken on a role that has them more concerned about teaching "values" rather than the three Rs. The day is spent learning how alternate lifestyles are OK, sex is taught across the grades and curriculum, children's writing assignments are letters to the editor supporting the teachers perspective on the latest political issue, etc. Don't forget, having the teachers done with their work right at 3, with no extra time spent is paramount.

Our "good" district has the kids turn in their books 2 weeks before the end of school and has the kids watch movies that count towards "insturction minutes." Most of the rest of professionals in the world routinely work a full 8 hour day and still have regular, unpaid overtime and weekends. Teachers want profession pay, but to have "employee" hours and benefits...the result is not enough time during the class hours for all the "pet" issues and still getting the real reason kids are there accomplished....so hand it off to mom and dad. The added bonus is that by handing the "getting it" to mom and dad is that when Johnny can't read its the PARENTS' fault! The folks weren't involved enough/care enough/take enough time, etc. Notice that none of the problems in the school are EVER the teacher's fault.....try it, name one that the teacher's have owned?

Also, the teacher want their evenings off because they've worked their day...but are OK with handing KIDS hours of additional work? Last I checked, the kids were in the class too! If the day is long enough that an adult teacher needs a "break", then certainly the children do, also.

-I'll pull on my flame-proof suit as I know I just made a Big Mac outta some sacred cows....:goodvibes

wow, how could i have passed by this gem. youve got to be kidding me.
oh where to start....
1.i have no idea what kind of school you have sent your children to, but ours teachs the 3R's. they dont learn values, thats my job. my children have never had a sex ed class and there is 0 time spent on alternate lifestyles, lol. i have no idea what you are talking about with the writing assugnments. they do book reports, like any normal child. they write poems and short stories. this is laughable. its clear you have no idea what youre talking about.
2. teachers are there before your child gets to school and theyre there after. i ahve been to my childs school as late as an hour later and teachers are still there grading papers. i think you have no idea what youre talking about:confused3
3. i dont know where you ahve been emplyeed as a "professional" but, its against the law to work off the clock.
4.you bring up learning to read. i assume you have children. your children learned to read in a classroom type environment? no they learned to read by practice. i for one do not want my child spending her time in the classroom reading, i want her learning the fundemantals, she practices at home. if a homeschooling parent is not having their child read outside of the alloted class time, theyre doing something wrong.

i get the feeling youve never sent your child to school. if you have no experience with it, you really cant comment how it, right? most of your post in based on nothing.

Wow. I started reading about homework time, skipped a few pages and walked right into a discussion about sex ed and animal type behavior and all kinds of stuff! I don't know where you live or what kind of school you are talking about but I have never heard of such, except maybe in movies.

FYI: teachers work much more than an 8 hour day. Those teaching plans don't write themselves and fairies won't grade papers. Working without pay is called slave labor and was outlawed many years back, professionals that are required to work overtime are compensated. Teachers are not expecting anything that is not due them.

I have had issues with the amount of homework in only one grade (dd is in
5th) and that was in 3rd grade. My sons never had the amount of homework she had in 3rd. The teachers kept telling me "its a benchmark year"?? Maybe some of you that are teachers can explain that phrase?? Anyway she had so much work that at 10 pm she would still be working. So I started cutting it off at 8:30 or 9. If anything was not finished, I wrote a note to the teachers letting them know that I was aware she had not finished and why. I tried to make sure she did some work in every subject and did all studying for tests. They never penalized her for not having it.

All I can say is wow! I love our schools, and what they learn. Not much sex talk - an hour in the 5th grade, and then some more in JH, taught by the health teacher (and probably the most important topic they'll learn about!). I know teachers, elementary school teachers, who spend hours every night making lesson plans and grading papers and tests. When do you think that happens? I've never heard of teachers forcing their agendas on students - even last year, when discussing the election, not one teacher even implied who he/she was planning on voting for.

As for homework, my SIL had a Chinese foreign exchange student last year, who was amazed at how little homework we get in the USA - they do homework until bedtime, on weekends, over breaks and summer vacations. She had an easy year here!

My statement was about the students, not the teachers. I have taught long enough to know how much teachers work.

Dawn

Wow. I started reading about homework time, skipped a few pages and walked right into a discussion about sex ed and animal type behavior and all kinds of stuff! I don't know where you live or what kind of school you are talking about but I have never heard of such, except maybe in movies.

FYI: teachers work much more than an 8 hour day. Those teaching plans don't write themselves and fairies won't grade papers. Working without pay is called slave labor and was outlawed many years back, professionals that are required to work overtime are compensated. Teachers are not expecting anything that is not due them.

5th) and that was in 3rd grade. My sons never had the amount of homework she had in 3rd. The teachers kept telling me "its a benchmark year"?? Maybe some of you that are teachers can explain that phrase?? Anyway she had so much work that at 10 pm she would still be working. So I started cutting it off at 8:30 or 9. If anything was not finished, I wrote a note to the teachers letting them know that I was aware she had not finished and why. I tried to make sure she did some work in every subject and did all studying for tests. They never penalized her for not having it.

They are involved in a lot of outside activities and get plenty of large group interaction, problem solving, and such. That doesn't worry me at all.

Sure there are pros and cons. We are homeschooling for now. I don't know if we will do it even past this year. It is a year by year thing.

I taught for 16 years in the public school, so I am well aware of the differences.

Dawn

They are involved in a lot of outside activities and get plenty of large group interaction, problem solving, and such. That doesn't worry me at all.

Sure there are pros and cons. We are homeschooling for now. I don't know if we will do it even past this year. It is a year by year thing.

I taught for 16 years in the public school, so I am well aware of the differences.

Dawn

no one cares that you home school. no where did i compare the two. i replied to a post about why children need home work and you decided to turn this into a debate about why homeschooling was better.
like ive said there are pros and cons to both and i dont care to get into a debate about it. no matter now many times you qoute me.

no one cares that you home school. no where did i compare the two. i replied to a post about why children need home work and you decided to turn this into a debate about why homeschooling was better.
like ive said there are pros and cons to both and i dont care to get into a debate about it. no matter now many times you qoute me.

I believe that you took this thread into that direction, because another poster mentioned that they homeschool to give their children their undivided attention. There is no obligation to answer any post even if you are quoted. Also it is quite difficult to read your posts because there are only lower case letters.:flower3:

To stay on topic, I would say that some parent equate lots of homework to a good school. Our current science teacher is well known and respected within the community. She does not believe in homework unless it is study for a test. Otherwise very little is sent home, which is wonderful. I read her blog so when we go to the science museum we hit the appropriate exhibits and reinforce the concepts.

My statement was about the students, not the teachers. I have taught long enough to know how much teachers work.

Dawn

And I wasn't responding to you but to another poster, "teachers want professional pay, but employee hours and benefits." Unless you are posting under two names??

Sorry, like I said I read the first couple of pages and then skipped to the last and saw those posts; I am not entirely sure what you said about the teacher's hours.

If you were complaining about homework and the hours spent doing it: Hey, I agree! I had a major problem when dd was in 3rd (see my pp). This year though she mainly has to read and study. She is doing better on tests because she really has time to study for them. And she actually has time to read the entire story from her book every night, so her comprehension test grades have seriously improved.

Just looked back a couple of posts and saw that you homeschool. Hey, more power to you! I don't think that is the best thing for my sanity or my child's; but if thats the choice you made and you and your child are happy with it, GREAT! That doesn't mean you are not educating your child, but it also doesn't mean that those of us who choose to use public or private schools are not educating our children.

I just sent my DD10, fifth grade to bed at 10pm. She was not finished with her homework. She still has to do:

Wordly Wise (vocabulary)- 1 page left out of 12 (was assigned Monday, had 4 pages left to do tonight)
Hatchet (novel study)- has half a chapter left (was assigned 2 chapters)
Social Studies- test tomorrow on the Civil War, needs to study more
Spelling- test tomorrow, needs to study

She completed her Language Arts Homework. Math isn't due until Tuesday, so she will be working on that and a Science project this weekend. Part of her problem is time management, but the volume is still insane.

Mary

My DD is in 4th grade, and seems to get a good amount of homework. It's always at least an hours worth. One night she had so much stuff it took her 3 hours. That was only once. They do get weekend homework occasionally. Her teacher is great though and very fair so I don't worry too much.
Holy cow! I don't know if I should be happy or upset that my 4th grade DD has less than 30 minutes per night. I do think that they are working up to a bit more as she has only been in school for 3 weeks ...

wow, how could i have passed by this gem. youve got to be kidding me.
oh where to start....
1.i have no idea what kind of school you have sent your children to, but ours teachs the 3R's. they dont learn values, thats my job. my children have never had a sex ed class and there is 0 time spent on alternate lifestyles, lol. i have no idea what you are talking about with the writing assugnments. they do book reports, like any normal child. they write poems and short stories. this is laughable. its clear you have no idea what youre talking about.
2. teachers are there before your child gets to school and theyre there after. i ahve been to my childs school as late as an hour later and teachers are still there grading papers. i think you have no idea what youre talking about:confused3
3. i dont know where you ahve been emplyeed as a "professional" but, its against the law to work off the clock.
4.you bring up learning to read. i assume you have children. your children learned to read in a classroom type environment? no they learned to read by practice. i for one do not want my child spending her time in the classroom reading, i want her learning the fundemantals, she practices at home. if a homeschooling parent is not having their child read outside of the alloted class time, theyre doing something wrong.

i get the feeling youve never sent your child to school. if you have no experience with it, you really cant comment how it, right? most of your post in based on nothing.

OP- sorry the thread went this direction. You asked if the amount of homework was unreasonable for a 2d grader. It appears that you have a lot of support that you are not out of line in questioning the work load you are being handled. I notice that several posters have mentioned that the shift in obligation for the mastery of subjects is a factor in considering if homeschooling is right for you.

As a mom of one 16 year old who has been private schooled, public schooled and homeschooled in his education and a young one who will simply continue the flow of home learning even after meeting "school age" I offered my thoughts on the amount of homework and potential reasons why the volume of homework has appeared to increase to a level that can cause it to interfere with home-life.

Take my free advice for what its worth. At there root, I believe all parents want the best for their own child. Abilities and dedication levels will take parents down different paths to achieve that end. Best of luck to you in dealing with your problem, you have my compassion.

To ImthatGirl: You can think whatever you want about me. I am well aware of my own education and experiences [including being very well versed in the law, thankyou], and really don't need your approval or accolades. Repeatedly telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't make it true, but maybe it makes you feel better. :confused3 If you care to PM me, I'll send you the links to Boston Globe articles that might be an eye-opener on a number of issues that schools in your neck of the woods are currently experiencing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter