I am having major stress over this one. I understand that adapters simply adapt the plug to a US-style plug, and converters actually convert the higher voltage of Europe to the lower voltage that most of our appliances run on. So, I bought an electrical converter. I also know that many appliances say that they can accept either, but I can't seem to find any "switch" on my curling iron. I see a switch that I'd have to use a screwdriver on my hair dryer, but any writing on the hair dryer has long since worn off, so I can't be sure. The documentation that came with my converter says that I have to switch something on the converter, for high vs. low wattage devices. But I can't see anything on my devices in watts, they just say things like "100 - 220 V", which makes it seem like it's a range??? My documentation for my camera, which has a battery charger, says not to use "electrical transformers for foreign travel, as they will cause damage". And, on our knights and lights, I used my curling iron with a converter, and it started smoking! So, I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm going on Viva Italia soon, but my son is traveling to Spain in a few weeks, and will need to charge his camera battery chargers and his iPod. I'm worried about him leaving something charging in his room, or overnight, and having a fire. So, does anyone have any advice as to which devices require the converter vs. just an adapter? It would seem to me that you can't go wrong by converting the electricity to what we get in the US, but then I saw that warning in my camera documentation, and thought, maybe that's why I almost had the fire with my adapter? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!