Electric Umbrella has expensive buns!

MBELSANTI

Mama Mia, Mangia Mangia!!
Thanks to my fellow DISers tips, we twice ordered the double cheeseburger with extra bun OOP and split 1 CS. At Roaring Forks in WL, they only charged .85 for the bun. Next day at Electric Umbrella, they charged me $1.99 + tax= $2.12 for the same bun!!!!:mad: Sheesh for a few bucks more I could have bought the whole burger. I though that that was really kinda crappy. I guess they have caught on to us people trying to stretch the credits and they found a way to make $$.:sad2:

Ignoring the issue about whether to begrudge ANY business the opportunity or right to make more money,,, cutting a double cheeseburger in half would accomplish pretty much the same goal at NO additional cost, not even eighty-five cents.

if I were Disney, I would charge the same thing. I don't know if E.U. is the same as Peco Bills, but if so, Disney would lose twice as much money on that beautiful fixin's bar they provide when someone does this. Would hate to see it go because of those trying to get ordering an extra bun or even worse, those making a salad from the condiments bar.

Ignoring the issue about whether to begrudge ANY business the opportunity or right to make more money,,, cutting a double cheeseburger in half would accomplish pretty much the same goal at NO additional cost, not even eighty-five cents.

Sorry, but I do not agree with you on this point. It is more filling to have a whole extra bun than to just split the burger in half( we did do it this way a few times as well). The purpose was not to rip off Disney in any way and I totally did not mind paying the additional, but they should be more consistant. There is a HUGE difference in the price for the same item at a Disney establishment.

if I were Disney, I would charge the same thing. I don't know if E.U. is the same as Peco Bills, but if so, Disney would lose twice as much money on that beautiful fixin's bar they provide when someone does this. Would hate to see it go because of those trying to get ordering an extra bun or even worse, those making a salad from the condiments bar.

Yah,, I agree with this mkross....it isn't just about the bun usually.

OT - FYI Since my kids are getting bigger and hungrier at Chick-Fila to stretch a kids meal I order an extra white bun for 10 cents or a whole wheat bun for 30 cents. The kids put their chicken strips in the bun to make a sandwich which helps to fill them up and they turn in the toy for an ice-cream cone.

I'm sorry but when you have 3 boys and limited finances you get creative. I too eat a kids meal and order an extra bun. Or sometimes we'll order 3 kids meals 4 extra buns and feed the 4 of us.

I think even for Disney $2 for a bun is outrageous.

You didn't want an extra bun. You wanted two cheeseburgers, one plain and one as a combo. Disney has a price for that order. I'm amazed that guests think they should get a discount by ordering the bun separately. Disney didn't have an issue letting guests order an extra bun when this was done to accommodate a kid that just wanted to eat a bun or was an occasional courtesy. I don't think this was ever intended to be a way to allow guests to reduce the posted menu prices.

The internet results in too many guests taking an advantage of a "budget" loophole so Disney has closes this loophole.

The OP saved more than $3 (instead of the $4+ she'd saved at Roaring Forks the day before) by ordering the extra bun.

Speaking of fair/unfair - example: Le Cellier serves a Shrimp, Scallop, and Mussel Bouillabaisse at both lunch and dinner. It's $19.99 at lunch and $22.99 at dinner. For the same dish at the same restaurant. If Lewisc orders it at 2:55, and I order it at 4:05, I pay $3 more than he did. Is that any less unfair than two different restaurants in two different locations charging two different prices for the same item?

The OP saved more than $3 (instead of the $4+ she'd saved at Roaring Forks the day before) by ordering the extra bun.

Speaking of fair/unfair - example: Le Cellier serves a Shrimp, Scallop, and Mussel Bouillabaisse at both lunch and dinner. It's $19.99 at lunch and $22.99 at dinner. For the same dish at the same restaurant. If Lewisc orders it at 2:55, and I order it at 4:05, I pay $3 more than he did. Is that any less unfair than two different restaurants in two different locations charging two different prices for the same item?

Not a Disney restaurant, but a local Mexican restaurant here charges an additional $4 if an adult orders a kids plate. DS8 and I can order the exact same kids plate and mine will be $4 more for the exact same amount of food! (I don't do this to save $ but to save calories as I'm on Weight Watchers)

Not a Disney restaurant, but a local Mexican restaurant here charges an additional $4 if an adult orders a kids plate. DS8 and I can order the exact same kids plate and mine will be $4 more for the exact same amount of food! (I don't do this to save $ but to save calories as I'm on Weight Watchers)

Restaurants frequently price kids menus at below cost, or at least with a lower mark up then adult meals. An extreme example is kids eat free. There isn't anything wrong if a restaurant decides not to extend that discount to adults who want to order off the kids menu.

Restaurants frequently price kids menus at below cost, or at least with a lower mark up then adult meals. An extreme example is kids eat free. There isn't anything wrong if a restaurant decides not to extend that discount to adults who want to order off the kids menu.

I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with that. I just wanted to point out that it isn't just Disney that does this. (Since the extra $4 makes the kids plate cost more than the same adult version, DS and I just split the adult plate.)

Well, gee, Pudgette - couldn't you just send your son in with enough money to buy a kid's plate to go, then when he comes out send him in again with more money and have him tell the counter person he dropped the other plate? ;) ;) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

disclaimer: this post is FULLY intended in fun and is not in ANY way promoting actual cheating or obfuscation in any manner whatsoever!!!!!

Well, gee, Pudgette - couldn't you just send your son in with enough money to buy a kid's plate to go, then when he comes out send him in again with more money and have him tell the counter person he dropped the other plate? ;) ;) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

disclaimer: this post is FULLY intended in fun and is not in ANY way promoting actual cheating or obfuscation in any manner whatsoever!!!!!

I could if we wanted to eat in the car, but since we enjoy sitting down and eating there as a family, no. Again, I don't do this to try to "cheat the system" but because the portions of the adult plate are too big and I really don't see the point in paying for and wasting food that no one is going to eat. Well, actually, I probably would eat it, but that would totally blow my WW points allowance and I'm trying to lose weight, not gain bigger taco hips!

I'm not trying to offend anyone! Oh, and my sense of humor is missing today as I had to go back to work after a 5 day weekend, so if I seem a bit snarky, sorry, I don't mean to.

You know that the budget board people will jsut start bringing their own extra buns. Heck, they'll probably start a "leftover bun swap" for those who don't finish a pack of 8!

I go both ways on the burger business--on the one hand, I can completely understand not wanting to order an entire combo meal for a young child who will eat three bites. But, a lot of people ARE trying to game the system--and particularly right now, with free dining, I can see where Disney is cracking down on the practice. Perhaps the price of EU buns will go down in October? Personally, I don't mind the bun charge so much as if they took out the fixin's bar at Pecos Bill's--that would be punishing the innocent to clear out the guilty. At least with the bun thing, they are charging the people who are actually eating the bun.

And P.S. Have you ever noticed that some McDonald's charge $.30 for a slice of cheese? Check the price differential on a hamburger vs. cheeseburger. Ditto for their Bug and Tasty--$.30 if you want cheese on it. I think they're counting on people not noticing and just getting the cheeseburger.

You know that the budget board people will jsut start bringing their own extra buns. Heck, they'll probably start a "leftover bun swap" for those who don't finish a pack of 8!.

:rotfl2: Ha!! That's very funny!!!

You know that the budget board people will jsut start bringing their own extra buns. Heck, they'll probably start a "leftover bun swap" for those who don't finish a pack of 8!

OMG- :lmao: :rotfl2:

I literally laughed out loud- stop that- I will get in trouble here at work :rolleyes1

Ditto for their Bug and Tasty--$.30 if you want cheese on it. I think they're counting on people not noticing and just getting the cheeseburger.

I was wondering if that was a typo or the latest and greatest MCDonald's sandwich. :lmao:

I'd order an extra bun and share a burger with my DH. But he'd probably tell me that I couldn't have any of his burger patties.

I used to post this but apparently people who order extra buns don't want half a burger, they're out to get another whole burger.

The only excuse I really understood was that the kids would fight over the burger halves (I get it because my nephews would do this) but I think they ought to just order two burgers if they want two burgers, and budget accordingly.

And even with the $2 price on the bun, you're still saving over the cost of two burgers.

I used to post this but apparently people who order extra buns don't want half a burger, they're out to get another whole burger.

The only excuse I really understood was that the kids would fight over the burger halves (I get it because my nephews would do this) but I think they ought to just order two burgers if they want two burgers, and budget accordingly.

And even with the $2 price on the bun, you're still saving over the cost of two burgers.

I understand why, someone may do this for a child. My DD woul seriously eat two bites and munch on a hundred things all day. BUT I would rather just get a combo for me and let her share from my plate and my husbands. We are on the DDP for our trip in January so she will be kinda wasteful, with her credits!

I understand why, someone may do this for a child. My DD woul seriously eat two bites and munch on a hundred things all day. BUT I would rather just get a combo for me and let her share from my plate and my husbands. We are on the DDP for our trip in January so she will be kinda wasteful, with her credits!

This is exactly my reasoning. Thank you for understanding my point. In no way was I trying to cheat Disney. The 2 of us couldn't eat 2 CS meals, so we decided to split and the ordering of an extra bun was widely talked about on these boards and not in any way to promote cheating, after all you are paying for the bun. I was pointing out the vast difference in price for the exact same thing. I never said that they should give me the bun for FREE.

By the way Lewis, I would love to know what kid wants to order just a bun to eat?:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter