Ebay seller wants me to send him extra $

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by jackemail, Nov 21, 2012.

1. jackemail

jackemail Disney Veteran

Purchased a Disney item on ebay, with the postage price of $3.10 in the listing . Paid, seller sent the email saying item had been shipped. Then I received a separate email from him (through ebay so I know it was legit) stating that the shipping actually cost him $5.15 and he wants me to paypal him an additional $2.05!

I'm not going to do it...but would any of you? Would you cut him some slack because he is a brand new seller ? (though with business tactics like this, he won't be selling long)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mdsoccermom

mdsoccermom DIS Veteran

Absolutely not. If he stated shipping was $3.10 and that's what you paid, then the matter should be closed. It's not your fault he miscalculated or chose a more expensive shipping method.

4. jlewisinsyr

jlewisinsyr DIS Veteran

When I've sold stuff, I've had to eat a few dollars every now and then because the calculator was not correct (trust me, it's not always accurate), but then again, I've also overquoted a cost and have refunded money back to the customer.

5. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI <font color=blue>Sometimes I just like to be plain

Oh goodness, I think that I probably would...reluctantly. Maybe tell him you will send him the extra money, but your feedback will reflect this.

6. Wall-E1

Wall-E1 Dis Dad

I wouldn't. Not my problem that he didn't calculate shipping correctly.

And it's two freakin' dollars! Is he serious!?!?!

Also, it's not going to look on his feedback when people read that he is asking for additional funds above his selling/shipping price. Not good business.

7. furb & dez

furb & dez City Bear Jamboreers

Do not send the extra money. Poor calculations on shipping are his problem, and the cost of doing business - if he wanted more money, he should have charged you more up front for the item. That's how stores work.

8. Kim&Chris

Kim&Chris dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at

Exactly.

You may also want to alert Ebay about his demand for additional money.

9. pixiewings71

pixiewings71 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Sweet!!! Totally!!!!

Nope, I wouldn't pay it either.

10. Luv2Scrap

Luv2Scrap <font color=green>The only way is if you have the

Absolutely not. It is against Ebay policy for a seller to ask for ANY more money after the sale is completed.

11. mamamary

mamamary DIS Veteran

Don't pay it. My dh sells on ebay from time to time and if he underestimates shipping well then it's his fault. He would never ask for more money for postage.

12. tOSU

tOSU Mouseketeer

Would he have sent you $2.05 if the shipping were cheaper than he quoted you - YEAH RIGHT!!!

13. lynxstch

lynxstch I Love Figment

THIS..send the entire email from him directly to Ebay..this is NOT allowed!

14. SandrA9810

SandrA9810 DIS Veteran

We've requested it on an occasion or two when the calculation wasnt right. Usually we state in the auction the shipping charges of large items so it isnt a surprise. A few bucks, he should eat it and learn his lesson. Sounds like he shipped priority flat rate instead of shipping parcel or first class. Too many new sellers have no idea how to ship wih the post office.

15. Glennie5

Glennie5 DIS Veteran

I would not pay it! It is such a small amount I think he should just let it go.

16. Fire14

Fire14 Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I've also found sometimes flat rate isn't the best choice you can mail priority and not use flat rate box.

17. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I've had to eat the extra shipping cost a few times and would never have dreamed of asking for the extra cost back. One time I had several packages to go that were fairly heavy (one of them was a western show saddle) so I carried them to a UPS shipping center.

I was fine on all of the packages except one. It wound up costing as much to ship as I actually got for the item including shipping (around $10)! :rotfl2: From then on I didn't make any assumptions that it would be fine, and all of my lighter weight stuff went priority mail. Lesson learned.