Ebay Question on plagerism

Franne

DIS Veteran
Someone copied almost all of my listing. I reported it to ebay, does anyone know what happens? Do they pull the auction or make them relist it with their own words? Thanks for any help,
Franne

Yes

They will get rid of it and send them a note telling them why

I had no idea i could report this, i once found someone that used my exact copy of the listing i did. i sent them a note tho but obvisouldy never heard back.

it really depends on the listing. I've had others do it to me also with nothing from Ebay. If the auction has just generic description of an auction then Ebay will do nothing. If you have HTML or some type of graphics then yes Ebay will more than likely pull the auction.

I had a seller copy the wording of my auction verbatim and Ebay closed their auction at my request.

At the bottom of each listing there is a link that says report this item. Click on that and choose copying of my listing as the reason.

Thanks for the quick replies! While I was looking I did a search of completed items, and ANOTHER person used my picture, and words and did a buy it now for the same amount mine was for. :confused3 Of course I reported it, but that auction already ended, after 1 day with the buy it now. To make it worse, the high bidder on MY item is the one who did the buy it now!!!!! Not only that, she or he is also high bidder on an auction of another one that is ending in 19 minutes! I just can't believe this!
BTW, my item is a set of retired Girl Scout stamps that are brand new. The price now is up to $63 and I am so happy it is, but now i am wondering if she will follow through. She is a new user, so I emailed her that if she wins all 3 auctions, she will have to pay for all 3 as it's a contract. Hopefully she will retract her bid on mine since I can't understand what she would do with 3 sets of these!!
I have been selling on ebay for years and NEVER had my auctions copied! I am soooo angry! Thanks for your help everyone!! :grouphug:
Franne

They copied your EXACT auction including yout terms for international buyers at the bottom of the auction. Too bad the auction wasn't still running.

I would defintely report that seller to ebay.

I bet there is a program out there to protect your pictures and description so people can't steal them. I know some websites use one. Anyone know of one that would be good for ebay??

As far as your bidder........she is high bidder in a LOT of auctions. Newbie gone crazy?? Hope not. Maybe she's buying all the stamps for a GS troop to use.

Good luck.

I found that if someone is using your picture try to put TEXT over the photo, like your Ebay Username. Make sure it doesn't hinder your photo, but also so they can't crop the picture either.

TerBear4 said:
I found that if someone is using your picture try to put TEXT over the photo, like your Ebay Username. Make sure it doesn't hinder your photo, but also so they can't crop the picture either.

That's a great idea, I have seen that done. Thanks! Kathie, boy you are quite a detective! Your post got me thinking and I went back to look at what she has listed, and wouldn't you know it, one of the items was copied from another seller! I, of course, let the other seller know so he can report it too. :rotfl:
As for the high bidder, I can't imagine having 3 sets of these at this price! :confused3 I paid $22 for the set about 3 years ago and never used them. Mind you. I did have every intention of using them since I am a Girl Scout leader, but I never did. Then I saw what they were going for on Ebay and I waited until there weren't a lot of them up and within the first 24 hours it was at $60! Very exciting, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens, I'll let you know.
Franne

Franne said:
Thanks! Kathie, boy you are quite a detective!
Franne

I have an ebay friend who says I should work for the CIA. :lmao:

I always check out my bidders, especially if they are new. I have nothing against new ebayers, in fact I have a lot that end up as repeat buyers. I just hate surprises. I also like to see what other people are bidding on.

I'm not surprised that the seller copied another sellers listing too. I hope ebay puts a stop to it.

I'm going to see if I can find one of those programs to prevent taking pictures. In the meantime putting your ID on the picture is a good idea.

Please keep us updated Franne.

I have it happen all the time. I have totally gotten over it. It is aggrevating because I (or in this case you) spend the time to list and do the work, then someone says copy and paste, bamm, they are done. It seems to be a common practice anymore. I see lots of people that put their name across the picture.

I haven't had much luck with ebay since you don't really know who copied whom, although usually the first listed is the original but I have things in my turbo lister I use over and over. I've become really easy going in my ripe old age of 29!

I've had a couple of my listings copied (that I caught)

On one the person at least went in and changed a few payment details.
I didn't bother reporting it since I saw it fairly late in the game and I figured the auction would be over by the time the folks at e-bay got to it.
I just took it as a compliment that they liked my design but were too lazy to put together something of their own. They most likely did have the item we were both selling. Lots of them floating around out there.
Frustrating, but not a huge deal.
:confused3

The other one was for event tickets. I found it really tough to believe that someone just happened to have very hard to find club level seats to sell in the same section and row as mine. I didn't put the seat numbers in my listing; if I had, I wonder if they would have taken the time to go in and change that little detail, or if they would have been promoting lap sitting? I'm betting on the latter.
I reported that one and it was pulled.
The sad part was that I kept an eye on the seller and they just went in and copied someone else's listing for tickets to the same event when the one they copied from me was pulled.
Scammer for sure.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. It's just words describing an item. I really doubt that person is going to get more bids than you for having the same listing, so really what's the harm? It's not like you wrote a novel and someone copied it ;)

I disagree. I only list a few collectible items, and describe them in great detail. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour to complete one listing.

I have had people plagiarize me, and I reported them. They may have been selling the exact same book, but they simply cut and pasted my auction. Of course, this doesn't change the chapters or contents, but when they use the same descriptions/selling points/etc this is stealing.

Samantha

Franne said:
Your post got me thinking and I went back to look at what she has listed, and wouldn't you know it, one of the items was copied from another seller! I, of course, let the other seller know so he can report it too. :rotfl:
Just in case you didn't realize this, if the other seller tells eBay they found out about this, because you wrote them..YOU can end up suspended for auction interference. Crazy, and not fair, I know, but it can happen. We aren't allowed, by eBay rules to interfer in another person's auction, even to let them know someone else is doing something wrong.

I just had this happen to me last week--- I was searching through current listings and saw my picture! The person had copied my picture and my listing, down to the line I had about the picture being of my set and how the buyers set would come new in an unopened box! I reported it in the morning and by mid-afternoon the auction had been pulled. :thumbsup2

summerrluvv said:
I guess I don't see what the big deal is. It's just words describing an item. I really doubt that person is going to get more bids than you for having the same listing, so really what's the harm? It's not like you wrote a novel and someone copied it ;)

It is a big deal. I agree with samanthacatangel. I take a lot of time and care describing my items, using just the right fonts, taking pictures. It is stealing and ebay considers it so. It can be grounds for suspension

Content and Picture Theft

If you take a look at both auctions, you can see that the other seller took Franne's auction word for word, same font, same set up, same terms, same pictures. At least they could have changed a few words around, used a different font. Nope.........looks EXACTLY like Franne's auction. They did change the title slightly.

The link is about reviews and guides. It also pertains to auctions. I can't find the auction link right now but when I do I will update.

It's here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/vero-image-text-theft.html

Item Description and Picture Theft
eBay members are not allowed to use another eBay user's pictures or descriptions in their listings or About Me pages without the owner's permission.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Loss of eBay fees
Limits placed on account privileges
Loss of PowerSeller status
Account suspension
Examples

A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another member’s description and pastes it into a listing.
A seller uses someone else's picture and includes it in a listing, since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.
A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page.
Report a member who is using your text or images without your permission.

summerrluvv said:
I agree with you, summerrluvv. What's the big deal. I guess I don't have this problem because 1) I don't go sleuthing for it and 2) I sell mostly used items so I just describe the item. I'm a nurse (charting skills) so I can go from one end of an item to the other and describe what I see quickly. I seriously doubt someone has another item exactly like mine in the same exact condition. But if they did copy me, I don't give a flip. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter