EBay...need encouragement/advice

Luckymommyx2

Wishing you a magical day
Okay, I'm trying not to let these people get to me but for some reason I can't seem to turn it off. Let me start by saying that I'm pretty new to selling at EBay--less than two months. I don't know if I'm just having an unlucky start or what but I'm almost to the point where I don't know if I want to continue selling because I'm dreading what they're going to say next!!

The first woman I sold a jacket to gave me positive feedback but said that her jacket was wrinkled and she was not happy with the manilla envelope for shipping! I shipped the jacket in a Prority Mail BOX. Sure the jacket may have gotten a little wrinkled during shipping, but come on, she only paid $1.50 and surely she owns an iron!

Next I have a woman disappointed in my shipping costs and wanted an explanation! I didn't make much on the sale/shipping so explained that I use a flat shipping rate which is listed on my auction page, plus I use delivery confirmation. Also I take into account the shipping materials, etc. I'm not one that lists an item for 99 cents then charges $20 shipping! UGH!

Then tonight I see that someone gave me a negative feedback (my first) and left in the comments that he was very disappointed! Disappointed...in what...there was no further explanation?!?! There was no communication, nothing.

I don't know if I should have or not but I emailed the two customers that gave me the negative and the neutral feedback asking for more of an explanation. I was honest in my descriptions, had photos, etc. I do not know what else I could do. It seems like the people are worse on the small dollar items.

I'm just to the point that I don't know if I want to continue if I have to worry about my feedback after every auction and that some of it is outright untrue! Now I'm struggling with what feedback I'm going to give them.

Sorry this is so long but it's really bothering me. Now my feedback is at 89% because of this one neutral and one negative and the fact that I'm so new. Thank you for reading and for you veteran EBay'ers, please offer any words of encouragement or advice. At least I know (okay, think) I'm safe here at the DIS!

The last year of so I have noticed a different kind of Ebay buyer and thought it was just me. They seem more demanding and hard to please. I sell new things and several people have told me that they are broken. One guy sent it back and I gave a refund (paid shipping as well) and item worked fine when I got it back. Probably he didn't know how to use it. No more refunds since then. I have also had more no paying bidders than ever before in the last 5 years.

Thanks for the info ceecee. I'm just not sure what I'm making is worth the hassle.

I deal with this 5-6 days week since ebay is my fulltime job selling for a pawnshop/surplus store. You are going to have your pains but there will be some good people out there too!! Give it a little time!! You will need to leave them a negative saying that they did not contact you to give you a chance to fix the problem. Also you need to make sure when you are listing items that you make enough off the sell to pay all your fees. Listing small inexpensive items tend to cost you money in the long run.

DH has been trying to talk me into selling stuff on EBAY to help fund all these vacations I am always wanting to take. I haven't been able to decide for sure to do this because I am afraid of the nasty people out there who arent going to be satisfied no matter how good they have it. I understand the feedback forum and the need for it but I think some people get something and its not quite what they wanted it to be so they leave negative feedback. I really would like to do this and have plenty of spare time to do it in but having trouble getting over the issues of how some people abuse the feedback forum. Yeah I'm scared of them :)

I have found that very few people are dissatisfied and very few people leave negative feedback. I think in all 5 years I have had 9 or 13 or something like that and over half of them are from me leaving a negative on an item I never received or something silly like that. I sell full time and yes, you have your bad seed here and there, but overall it is great. I will say though, they come in waves, so you might getting your wave right now and then will have 200 transactions without a problem.

I also like to be real clear in the description and provide many photos, so there is no guessing as to what condition, etc items are in. I sell used and new and haven't noticed a difference between them as one being complained about more then the other.

Stick with it and give it time.

It seems like the people are worse on the small dollar items.

Yes, I find that oftentimes. This is one reason why I won't sell clothing on Ebay. Too easy to nitpick. I sell two different genres of items and most people are really nice. The times I've sold outside of those areas, people have been nuts.

First off, I would increase your item prices. People sometimes think that because something sold for a dollar or two they can demand a refund and the seller won't care because it was "only a dollar" Or the the seller will let them keep their item and a refund because "it was only a dollar." Also you need to have a refund policy in place. I state that I will accept returns within 7 days of receipt, but the item MUST be returned to me before a refund is issued. No return. No refund.

Some people like to play with new sellers. If your feedback is low, they don't care about giving negative feedback. Personally if your feedback is at 89 percent you might want to start over with a new selling ID. You can build feedback by making some small purchases.

Many people will not buy from sellers who have zero feedback or recent negatives.

I sincerely wish you the best. You might want to check out some of the seller's forums on the Ebay community boards for tips and advice.

Thanks for all of the replies--I appreciate it. I received an email from the man that left me the negative feedback stating "he was disappointed." He said it wasn't worth what he paid ($4.95+shipping.) Then he had the nerve to ask if I was willing to rectify the situation!!! Normally I'm a timid person but that just hit a nerve. I advised him that I was sorry he does not like his item but since he already left a negative feedback without reaching out to me first that I will not be able to help him any further. After sending that email I went and left him negative feedback.

I'm still waiting for the woman that gave me the neutral feedback with comments like "I question the seller's judgement of excellent." Again, my auction listing didn't say anything about excellent. I'm afraid I won't hear anything more from her so I'm not sure what I'm going to give her as far as feedback. Any suggestions?

I cannot thank everyone enough for letting me vent and giving me their input. I don't have a lot of things to put up so I may just take a break to see what I want to do.

On a side note, does anyone know if the post office will take back any of my unused Priority Mail boxes? I just ordered more last week before my big downfall. Thanks again!

Luckymommyx2 said:
On a side note, does anyone know if the post office will take back any of my unused Priority Mail boxes? I just ordered more last week before my big downfall. Thanks again!
Yes, the post office will take all the supplies off your hands. Sorry about all the crazies that you got mixed up with. It happens. :crazy:

I would also leave her a neutral stating she did not contact you about not being happy with purchase. When I describe items I normally try to tell them everything and anything they might find wrong with the item. I have even made it sound worse than it is that way when they get it they think hey thats look alot better than described. I agree this might be a good time to get another ebay name and make small purchases to build up feedback. Also make sure that you reply to the feedback so that when people look at your feedback it states that they did not contact you.

You can reply to your feedback left for you, so that people know why people left you the feedback that they did. I always take that into consideration, over what the actual feedback is.

Also, I would never state an item is perfect, or excellent. It gets people expectations too high. I also state that items are sold "as-is" and clearly state the shipping/handling price, so no one is surprised.

I too though, have stopped selling on ebay. It's just getting too nerve wrecking for me, trying to please strangers that are hard to please.

Just a thought here - from someone who has NEVER sold a thing on ebay, nor do I ever have plans to do so.

You can easily check the feedback that these buyers have given other sellers. I would be curious to see if these buyers are chronic complainers.

clh2 said:
You can easily check the feedback that these buyers have given other sellers. I would be curious to see if these buyers are chronic complainers.

As a seller, I've done that very thing before. And in one or two cases, I've even cancelled bids from people that had terrible history of feedback LEFT, not just feedback rec'd. Just not worth it - I'd rather not sell the item.

Two things in this thread rang true for me - one, personally I just won't sell clothing unless it's brand-new, packaged, because unless it's designer you don't get any $, and people can be so picky. I mean, wrinkled? I agree with the OP - for a buck and a half, you can whip out your own iron. It would have been one thing if it had been dirty (I can't stand sellers that sell dirty items - I see it a lot when people sell old toys - geesh, a paper towel and some windex wouldn't kill ya), but wrinkled happens during shipping. Did she expect her $1.50 item to come in a garment bag? LOL.

The other is just that, yes, there are some crappy eBayers out there, but there are tons of great ones as well. That's one crappy eBayer to give you your first neg feedback without even contacting you once. That's just rotten. Make sure you reply to this feedback with this info.

I also find that people buying extreme low-ticket items are often times just a bit more demanding in a different way. That's why I just don't sell things for under $10. It's just not worth it - between eBay fees, PayPal fees, and my time.

Good luck, and hang in there!

NED

NewEnglandDisney said:
I agree with the OP - for a buck and a half, you can whip out your own iron. It would have been one thing if it had been dirty (I can't stand sellers that sell dirty items - I see it a lot when people sell old toys - geesh, a paper towel and some windex wouldn't kill ya), but wrinkled happens during shipping. Did she expect her $1.50 item to come in a garment bag? LOL.

NED
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

NewEnglandDisney said:
As a seller, I've done that very thing before. And in one or two cases, I've even cancelled bids from people that had terrible history of feedback LEFT, not just feedback rec'd. Just not worth it - I'd rather not sell the item.

I've done the same.

Thanks for the advice. I did leave a negative feedback for the man who did not contact me but left feedback of "very disappointed." I haven't given feedback on the lady who gave me a neutral. I was waiting for her to respond to my email but I guess that's not happening. I did leave notes in my feedback which I didn't realize I could do until you told me. THANKS!

Still not sure what I'm going to do from here on out. Thanks again for everyone's help. I really, really appreciate it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter