Ebay - Help!

dizcrazy

DIS Veteran
Everyone,

I just need confirmation and reassurance that this isn't anything fishy.
I registered for ebay yesterday and received an identification verification email today, asking me for my credit card information.

My account is on hold until I enter my social security and debit or credit card info.

Is this the normal procedure? Why give them this information when I haven't even bid on anything yet?

HELP

Chris :earsgirl:

It's been several years since I registered for Ebay, but I'm sure they didn't ask me about credit card or bank info.

Thanks for the replies.

I am not going to respond but wonder why I got this note. Makes me feel uneasy.
The email address I entered for the ebay account was just created, which I why I wonder if it really is from ebay.

Even if it is, you are right - I am not entering my social!!!!!!!

As suspected, it was NOT from ebay.

I went to their Love Help and this is the reply:
The email you have received is not really from eBay, and is an attempt to steal your personal information. eBay will never ask you to provide sign-in passwords, credit card numbers, or other sensitive information through email. eBay will never send you an email asking you to sign-in from a link to resolve an account related problem

So now we know!

But I did tell them that i was annoyed that their site is not more secure. That email address was created 5 minutes prior to registering AND is just for my ebay stuff.

So obviously, someone attacked ebay and got a hold of my email address from the ebay site.

dizcrazy,
That's not necessarily so. We tend to be very quick to blame the websites, however it's also very possible that the culprit is actually on your own computer.

I highly recommend that you go to http://www.spysweeper.com and download the program. You can use it for free, you have to pay if you want to subscribe and get the updates.

There are a number of programs, known as spyware, adware and malware, that can be installed on your computer without you even knowing it. I thought I was secure against them - although I have a cable modem I'm connected through a router which blocks off virtually all attempts to hack into my system. I have Norton Systemworks running all the time in the background, so I'm safe from viruses. And I'd know if someone tried to install a program on my computer, wouldn't I?

NOPE!

I knew I had a problem one day when I had an extra toolbar that wouldn't go away. I ran AdAware (another popular program) and it found spyware. I hadn't installed anything - not a downloaded program, not an email attachment, nothing. Adaware couldn't remove the file. Spysweeper did.

Another nice thing about Spysweeper is that sometimes there are programs on your computer that are technically spyware, but you need them for other programs to run. Norton uses Backweb for instance. Adaware will let you delete them without warning - Spysweeper will tell you that you might not want to delete them.

You can also right-click on the description of any spyware it's found and it will tell you what it does.

SO - it's possible that you have a piece of spyware on your computer that "saw" you create the Ebay account and register that email address for it, submitted that information to wherever it's programmed to and that's how you received the email.

The Internet can be a scary place. Wonderful, crazy, and informative - yes. But there are dark alleyways and sometimes we don't know when we're walking down one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter