Ebay Auction #2160973067

KANSAS

DIS Veteran
Please look at this Ebay Auction
Is the man, auctoning off his DVC Points?
or his just posting an add to rent his DVC BCV points, for $12 each?
The bid of $83 is what confuses me?

Thank you

It's an offer to rent points at $12 pp but who knows what the reserve is. Still with only 100 points, it might be tough to fulfill the accomodations for many. The way things are set up, one might not know until after they'd won the auction.

Dean

is the minimum bid $12 per point?
or is that reserve price?

If he only has 100 points to auction off?
Isn't the appeal of the auction limited?

Thank you for your help many times over!!

From what I can tell by reading his listing, you would be bidding on the oppertunity to rent his points. He wants $12 per point, for 100 points on top of what the winning bis is. This sounds like a scam to me. Perhaps these people dont realize that they can just go to the rent board and do the same thing for less money.

Rob

The reserve price is the minimum built into the auction that makes it a successful auction and produces a winner. The min bid was 1¢ but no one wins unless it gets to the reserve. Otherwise it's just an excercise in bidding. I'd assume $12 pp is the minimum and reserve.

Saying it's a scam is a bit strong. Assuming he has the points and follows through, the transaction is OK. The fact he's asking more than many of us would rent for is up to him and the potential renter. He would be more likely to be successful if he made a reservation for a higher season like Xmas then auction it. He could then build in a float type rental if he wanted. Not everyone on ebay knows about the DIS rent/trade board and it's not our place to tell the bidders about this unless they ask us.

I just checked ebay. I think you are bidding on the "right" to buy his points at $12 each. In other words, if the winning bidder bids $100, he pays $100 plus $12 per point. If that's the case, it opens up a whole new concept on renting points. Now you have to buy the right to rent!

Originally posted by marty
I just checked ebay. I think you are bidding on the "right" to buy his points at $12 each. In other words, if the winning bidder bids $100, he pays $100 plus $12 per point. If that's the case, it opens up a whole new concept on renting points. Now you have to buy the right to rent!
My assumption is that the total will be $12 pp regardless of what is bid. People will sometimes list things on ebay and elsewhere for $0.01 and tell people not to bid, just contact them. It's essentially a way of advertising.

If you ask me, this does sound like a scam, but not probably illegal, if the current person wins, they would pay 83.00 for the right to rent this persons points at $12.00 per point!!!!

I just got a reply from the seller. She says that the winner can deduct the bid amount from the $12/pt rental. .....So you are bidding for the right to rent the points, but if the seller goes by what she said, the winner will still ultimately be only paying $12/pt. Interesting way to market points for rent.

Thank you to all that replied to my thread.
I think of all you, find it confusing, like I did.
so is the auction really an ad, for BCV points at $12 per point and not an auction.

I wonder if the seller will also deduct insertion, final value and paypal fees from the winning bid and then apply the difference to the eventual DVC booking?

Originally posted by marymrg
I wonder if the seller will also deduct insertion, final value and paypal fees from the winning bid and then apply the difference to the eventual DVC booking?
Since I see no documentation that the buyer will pay any other fees, the reasonable assuming is that the seller will pay the listing fees and absorb any charges for Paypal. I assume the seller will pay those out of thier proceeds. Assuming a studio rental for say 60 points for 5 nights, the $2 extra per point will have the seller essentially break even over a $10 pp rental her on DIS.

This is unbelievable! The bid is now up to $550 for the right to buy 100 pts. at $12 each.

Originally posted by marty
This is unbelievable! The bid is now up to $550 for the right to buy 100 pts. at $12 each.
The seller is only going to pay for the points, not the bid price plus $12 pp. I assume they will only pay for the points they need but how many stays are going to be less than 5 days and 50-60 points, not many. So unless the winner bids more than $12 pp, they have lost nothing as long as the seller is honest.

So, the extra $2.00/point (versus the going rate of $10/point) will probably cover the seller's costs. I guess the benefit is that the seller gets a hefty downpayment almost immediately and the buyer gets to choose where and when (depending on availability).

Me thinks that the seller's bright idea backfired oh him/her.

Since Ebay charges a percentage of the sale as a commission, the higher the price, the higher the commission. I think the buyer thought that using this method would keep the price of the auction down as the price is the price paid for the right to buy the points, not the selling price of the points.

But if someone states that it is up to $550, then I guess the buyers do not understand what is going on and effectively had the plan backfire for the seller.

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter