Eating our words – the UnDisney family back on DCL – 4-night Dream – May 2014 - with Bonus TR !

The Secret 3rd Disney Cruise - Magic 7-night Western Caribbean - Mini-report- January 25 to Feb 1st, 2015 - Final reflections

Overall, we did not have much of a different experience on a classic ship than on a Dream-class ship (except for someone who very much missed his mystery games and mini-golf).

This is probably because (risky statement ahead) the ships are not the focus for us. :duck:

Our vacation focus is always to spend some good times together as a family, much of it together, some of it apart. As in many families, I have a job I love that involves somewhat longer hours, and although we spend most of our weekends together, much of that is taken up with "Conor has outrgrown his shoes. Again. Back to the store...", and swimming/skating/etc. lessons, visiting with friends, etc., so we really, really value our family time together on vacation. We do enjoy escaping our beloved Canada's winters, and we don't want to worry about things like whether this restaurant is safe to eat at or not, as that would defeat the purpose. We all value our sleep, and the grown-ups at least consciously work on wellness while we're away - so regular exercise, eating well, and getting good sleep.

How does Disney fit in to this? The cruises so far have managed to support our goals. Because Big Mouse is smart, he allows us to relax, and do the things we are interested in. He does it well, we will admit. So do many resorts, and we don't prefer one over the other. The Disney part itself is not the destination - even now, I'm pretty sure Conor wouldn't care if he missed character meets - they worked out in terms of the fact we weren't doing much when they happened, so we went. The fact that there is a schedule with ports, etc., is getting to bother me less (she who wants no schedule on vacation) because we're figuring out ways around that, including arranging our own stuff at the ports. For sure the boy loves the clubs and the other kids, but not because they're Disney clubs. He spent most of his time in the Mickey clubhouse room on the Magic, ignoring the Avengers room, because he liked the colours better, and there were computer games he could do, and he could colour. Wild child!

And now that we are approaching our Grand Slam (this is still very embarrassing!) we know what we can skip, and much of that is the big Disney stuff. The decision-making process was really that we wanted to do Alaska, and we considered other cruise lines, but for our family right now, DCL meets our needs best. We'll take what we need, and leave the rest - and hey - this works for everyone, right? If we're not standing in line to see princesses, then that opens up a spot for someone who actually cares/doesn't run screaming from the things. :)

Oh, and if you are on our Alaskan cruise- we'll help you out - as soon as we find out when Frozen Day is occurring, we will plan very carefully to avoid it entirely. :rolleyes: And we won't be going to the character breakfast. We might actually make it to a show this time, but given the time change we'll be working with, it'll only be a matinee, if that. And if you think we'll be fighting for space on Tracy Arm day, you haven't been reading this report. :)

At least Conor no longer has to fight tears when he hears That Song (we have made fun of it enough that he laughs), but we don't want to push our luck.

Thanks for reading. And I finished this all exactly 1 year minus 3 days from when we went on the Dream, so I snuck in under my own deadline. :smokin:

Conorama-so nice to see this as I am getting back on the boards to prep for our upcoming cruise! Grand slam, huh?!?!

Conorama-so nice to see this as I am getting back on the boards to prep for our upcoming cruise! Grand slam, huh?!?!

Ah- welcome back! And yes (*cough cough cough*) I am back on the boards to prep for Alaska and the (*cringing slightly to admit it*) Grand Slam cruise. So far, DH is pleased I've found the closest/best liquor store in Vancouver so he can procure his preferred vintages before boarding (priorities). I'm sure Conor would like to know where the sand will be in Alaska. I'll be fascinated to see how J. is different on your next cruise- the kiddos are so much more "big kids" now - as I just got a withering glance that could have been delivered by a seasoned teenager. :)

To be fair, the Grand Slam part of things was completely unplanned. Honest. When we booked the Magic due to the Canadian discounts, I wasn't thinking of it at all.. then realized it later and nearly fell over. DH is in denial.

And now - Off to a secret breakfast date with my newly-minted 7-year-old - in our horrid version of Frozen-land- it's 1 degree Celcius out there today. Sheesh.

DH is pleased I've found the closest/best liquor store in Vancouver so he can procure his preferred vintages before boarding (priorities).

Same here. We like to take wine onboard with us. Did you find a good wine store? Where?

Jodie

Same here. We like to take wine onboard with us. Did you find a good wine store? Where?

Jodie

I've been reading through the super-long Vancouver thread- and checking with my relatives. The "Signature" stores from BC Liquor have an expanded selection- this one (below) is the Signature store closest to port, and, important for us, it's open on Sundays, as we get in late on Saturday and we were hoping to avoid having to run around on Monday a.m. before boarding to buy wine. It's not the closest liquor store, but it's more likely to have some of what my wine-snob husband will want. :)

The bcliquorstores.com website can help you find the closest place if you don't need a super-big selection.

Alberni & Bute
768 Bute Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 4H6
Store # 129
Phone
(604)660-4572

I've been reading through the super-long Vancouver thread- and checking with my relatives. The "Signature" stores from BC Liquor have an expanded selection- this one (below) is the Signature store closest to port, and, important for us, it's open on Sundays, as we get in late on Saturday and we were hoping to avoid having to run around on Monday a.m. before boarding to buy wine. It's not the closest liquor store, but it's more likely to have some of what my wine-snob husband will want. :)

The bcliquorstores.com website can help you find the closest place if you don't need a super-big selection.

Alberni & Bute
768 Bute Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 4H6
Store # 129
Phone
(604)660-4572

Thanks! I will check them out.

Alberni & Bute
768 Bute Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 4H6
Store # 129
Phone
(604)660-4572
This is the store I was directed to for before our cruise. I will be checking it out real soon.

I was hoping you could give me some tips about traveling with a child that has motion sickness. I read your son takes Gravol for it. Could you give me some tips on how to avoid motion sickness with a young child? I've noticed that my daughter (3yrs old) gets car sick and I'm worried about her first cruise. What works for you and your family?

I'm so looking forward to your Alaska TR!! Not long now, 3 weeks according to your ticker, eeek!

I was hoping you could give me some tips about traveling with a child that has motion sickness. I read your son takes Gravol for it. Could you give me some tips on how to avoid motion sickness with a young child? I've noticed that my daughter (3yrs old) gets car sick and I'm worried about her first cruise. What works for you and your family?

Hi there- the boy gets carsick and airsick, but he is never seasick (on Disney cruises, anyway). Even back in January when we had one very rough night, and I was feeling it (as were many others - there was a run on medication, I gather), he was totally fine. I think it's a different mechanism. For car sickness and air sickness though, we have always used a low dose of Children's Gravol (what we have access to in Canada). When he was 3, we would mix a dose of the liquid stuff into a glass of orange juice either just before take-off, or at the beginning of a long trip - he was slow to try pills. Now, he loves the chewable ones. I always err on the side of giving him a lowish dose, which seems to mostly prevent the sickness (barring significant turbulence, which, well, we deal with).

We can try to avoid car-sickness but it's not always possible. Our tricks include - trying not to travel when he's tired, or when it's hot. We've had to ban video games and we limit movies - and he doesn't fight us, as he knows they make him sick on long trips. Audio books have been our savior for longer trips to keep him entertained. He can watch movies a bit, but we break it up. Oh, and frequent stops - about once every 1-1.5 hours, which works well with taking bathroom breaks anyway- we get out, stretch, get into cool air, and give him small bits to eat.

Last year, he threw up just as my husband was 5 minutes away from the airport - where we had to park for 2 weeks ... in the middle of a scorching heatwave. :scared: And no, there was no time to clean it up.

Fortunately, my wonderful brother-in-law was, well, wonderful. We shipped our spare keys to him, and he went in (brave man), cleaned things up, and left bowls of vinegar (our odor-removing friend). The car smelled pickled when we returned but we could at least get home without gagging.

As for the ship- we made sure he was outside at first as much as possible (seeing the horizon can help, apparently- as does the fresh air). Once the ship was underway, it was clear he was fine, so we worried less, but still mandated outside time on our verandah or up on the top decks regularly (he would spend all day in the club if we let him). We have never used medication for him on a cruise ... yet.

I hope that helps! I am hoping he'll outgrow it, but it's much more manageable now - and the cruises have never, ever been a problem. Good luck!

I'm so looking forward to your Alaska TR!! Not long now, 3 weeks according to your ticker, eeek!

Eeek! is right. I haven't even started packing. I HAVE made a spreadsheet but there are way too many question marks for my liking - it all depends on the forecast just before we leave.

And yes, 3 weeks. Not that I'm counting down at work or anything like that. :)

Delurking to say I'm on board for anything you write. I'm of the non-humanity bent and your TRs have given me hope for my September four nighter on Dream.

Delurking to say I'm on board for anything you write. I'm of the non-humanity bent and your TRs have given me hope for my September four nighter on Dream.

Thanks! I like "delurking" - I do that too- I go for months without commenting - or even (perish the though) checking... but in the weeks leading up to a cruise, I do check often for more tips.

We are definitely proof that you can take what you want from a cruise. I've read all the posts about the Great Change To Character Dining ... for no good reason at all, as we could not be paid to attend. This is however good for many others, from what I've read, as we won't be there to claim tickets for the event. Nor does anyone need to worry about us hogging the Princess tickets. Olaf, now, ... he is someone we have to meet. (OK, yes we are SLIGHTLY Disney-fied, I admit - but fear not, we've still not seen Frozen. :) )

I've started notes for the Alaskan cruise, so I will write a TR. On tonight's agenda- make the to-do list as we are now into 17 days before we fly out. Nothing more satisfying than crossing things off a nice list. With a Sharpie. Everything is better with a Sharpie.

Your TRs are great. I love it.

Now you have to do a European cruise, you know. Best part: the patrons are mostly adult and a fair amount of Europeans. They have educational lectures given on the various ports of call you visit, given by someone who has no Disney background whatsoever (ours was a professor emeritus). Musicians from the areas you will visit. Even the characters dress locally- if you choose to go see them.

I am so encouraged that you felt this way and you did the Dream. The Dream. The Bahamas. *ashamed to say what I really thought about this before reading your report*

The Mouse is a sneaky little dude.

I just found this TR and I've really enjoyed reading it! Thanks for sharing your cruise. And I hope you have a great time in Alaska -- I felt that the DCL Alaska cruise was more relaxing and less intense than the cruise we took in the Bahamas. There also seemed to be plenty of space on the Wonder -- we didn't feel packed in like sardines.

Your TRs are great. I love it.

Now you have to do a European cruise, you know. Best part: the patrons are mostly adult and a fair amount of Europeans. They have educational lectures given on the various ports of call you visit, given by someone who has no Disney background whatsoever (ours was a professor emeritus). Musicians from the areas you will visit. Even the characters dress locally- if you choose to go see them.

I am so encouraged that you felt this way and you did the Dream. The Dream. The Bahamas. *ashamed to say what I really thought about this before reading your report*

The Mouse is a sneaky little dude.

Ah - the European cruise. DCL Queen is off to Finland and related parts this year. DH is now saying things like: "that's about the only way I would go on another Disney Cruise" - so I'm not going to write it off just yet- having learned my lesson! He was looking up which cruise went farther North. This is never a good sign.

I think the Alaskan cruise is perhaps a mini-version of what you describe - we'll find out in, (ack), 11 days. I do plan to attend some of the lectures- actually science-boy said he might... but the lure of the club might trump the love of science.

And yes- it is funny that we went on the Dream. I can honestly say that we didn't have any great angst- because we didn't drink the Kool-aid about DCL in general - so the Dream is just the Fantasy minus the one mystery in the mystery game. :)

Thanks for reading! And Big Mouse is more than sneaky- I think he's rather manipulative. We seem to get along, though, at a distance. The fact that he has co-opted Star Wars, though, does cause some angst in our house... !

I just found this TR and I've really enjoyed reading it! Thanks for sharing your cruise. And I hope you have a great time in Alaska -- I felt that the DCL Alaska cruise was more relaxing and less intense than the cruise we took in the Bahamas. There also seemed to be plenty of space on the Wonder -- we didn't feel packed in like sardines.

More relaxing is good - that's the goal. Our usual summer vacation is all about relaxing (trip back to Newfoundland where I went to school and DH is from), so we actually made a conscious effort to keep things low-key in our planning decisions - including only doing 1 DCL excursion. We thus retain more of an illusion of control. Now - I still have to get packing organized, and the fact I can't pack as far ahead as I usually do (due to needing to, well, WEAR some of the clothes we'll need- never an issue when you cruise to the Caribbean from Canada in January...) causing me some stress.... but we're ALMOST close enough that I can start to pack in earnest.

Thanks for reading- much appreciated.

The man-these-are-busy-and-annoying 2 weeks before the cruise – and a non- Disney perspective on the Swan and Dolphin

May started, and with it, our marathon. We hosted a successful spy party for 15 6 year old kids – because much to our horror, everyone who was invited (somewhat last minute) actually came. :crowded:

We are brave parents, however, and thanks to nice early May weather, we could toss the 15 wild beasts outside for a chunk of the party, and heck, we can survive anything for 2 hours. I’m not sure we could walk or talk afterwards, but we did get through it. The best part was that we asked all the kiddos to come in disguise – they were hilarious.

Remember those documents?

Attentive readers will recall I had completed and printed out key forms to enable DH to take Conor to the US without getting arrested. Particularly astute readers will remember that they are supposed to be notarized. When did this clever parent remember this? At 9:00 p.m. on Monday- as in less than 36 hours before I was supposed to leave. Well crummy. After some not-so-nice words (hey, the kid was asleep!) I turned to the source of all good information- the interweb – and thanks to Kijiji, I learned that the Commissionaires will notarize documents on a drop-in basis, and they open at 8:00 a.m. Brilliant. Bring on the retired military/police folk.

Fortunately, we’re generally quite organized about most things, so we had all our documents in order. As soon as we launched the offspring on the school bus, we dashed over to the Commissionaires’ office, and, 20 minutes and $50 later, we not only had our forms notarized, but we had affidavits that our copies of our documents were not forgeries. Rock on. I was almost on time for work and all.

And then, we took a long sigh of relief. And I edited my spreadsheet to address this grievous omission.

Packing – the final stages

As soon as the party finished, I entered The Packing Zone. For me, this involves all suitcases open on a spare bed, spreadsheets open to the ready on my laptop, and a beverage to get me through it all. (If we all remember my gnat-like tolerance for alcohol, we can be reassured that the beverage is usually an iced latté.) If I’m really, really lucky, I have “help” by way of the 6 year old. Fortunately, he is much more willing to listen to my suggestions (“No, bud, I don’t think we can bring the world’s largest stuffie with us, even if you are willing to hold it on the plane. You might throw up on him,”) but he is still there to supervise and provide advice: “Hey mom, you didn’t fold that as well as dad does”. Heck, my aged cats provide more help by lying on the clothes (compression is good) than the boy.

Clearly, I try to avoid help. When I can’t, I ignore it, and I use my luggage scales frequently, which distracts him. Shiny. Beepy.

Despite the help, I succeeded with The Plan. All suitcases contained at least 2 full sets of clothing for all family members, in case my great luggage curse struck again on this trip... and no one suitcase was overweight. My bag contained appropriate clothes for conference, and for cruise. Conor's carry-on had cool distractions in it ... and Gravol (the Canadian anti-puke medicine).

I took a moment to appreciate my brilliance. :cheer2:

The night before I was to leave, I handed a carefully written, colour-coded list complete with little boxes for him to insert checkmarks to DH with the few things he would need to pack at the last minute on Saturday morning for Conor, including some oh-so-very-helpful suggestions about which bag they should go in. This garnered me a rather withering look, but no comments, since we are both still traumatized by the trip in which we forgot Conor’s bag at home – something we realized 1 hour into our drive, necessitating DH to drop me and 3-year-old Conor at an awful little mall for over 2 hours, while he (ahem) broke a few speed limits to go back home to get it. After that experience, I use even more lists, and NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO COMMENT.

Part 1 of the trip- My Friend Poster and I make it to the Swan and Dolphin.

On Wednesday morning, I had my helper up bright and early, to assist me with final preparations. My poster (hereinafter known as “Poster”) was rolled up in his fancy tube. Poster and I, and my other bags (one checked bag, and my backpack – they don’t get special names) got lots of hugs and kisses before we headed off with my friend, who was doing the driving to Syracuse.

My trip was wonderfully uneventful – which makes for uninteresting reading, but made me a very happy camper :) . We had no trouble at the border (boring and reliable ladies that we appeared to be), and our JetBlue flight was on time. After a brief stop at JFK, we left on time for MCO. Poster behaved himself on the flights (read: I could fit him in the overhead bins, and I didn’t forget him – my biggest fear). We nabbed our bags, and my friend’s rental car, and she drove us to the Swan. Or the Dolphin. Or both.

The Swan and Dolphin is full of … wait for it … swans, and dolphins. I dutifully admired them. Mostly what I cared about was that the conference was right on site, and my room was quiet and comfortable, so that I could sleep so as not to seem to be an idiot when presenting Poster.

This is a trip report, not a conference report, so I will keep this short. On Thursday, I presented Poster. I then had to move Poster to another board, and present again. I collapsed, exhausted on Thursday night. Friday & Saturday morning, I learned stuff, when I wasn't getting some exercise by walking around the S & D.

In between, I was a good parent. When I go on work trips, Conor usually sends me with one of his toys, and I take photos of his friend wherever I am, and send them back to him. We discuss these when we FaceTime every morning and every night. On this trip, "Moosie" (very Canadian) was sent along, so he enjoyed touring the Swan & Dolphin.

For example, here he is looking out of my window.

Next, (Moosie didn't make this photo), we explored outside. As you can see, the weather was horrible. Or not. At least, it was not conducive to making me want to sit in windowless conference rooms listening to lectures, but I was dutiful (mostly) and generally attended when I was supposed to.

Here we have the Swan... and then ...

the Dolphin. (Yes, that is a Dolphin, I'm told. Something about how the fins on the tail are aligned. I stopped paying attention in there.)

Overall - the Swan & Dolphin is a fairly standard overpriced hotel (I'm used to these), with good service (thankfully), many choices for eating (the tacos at lunch at the buffet place were particularly good), a reasonable array of activities and some kind of Disney affiliation I didn't figure out, not that I tried, actually. Again, this is not a conference report, so we will move along.

Boy Birthday

The Friday of the conference was Conor's actual 6th birthday. As part of the planning, we made sure we had some small birthday gifts for him on his real day that he could open before going to school (the main gift was the cruise, plus he was all Lego-ed up after his party). I made sure we had some quality FaceTime so I could watch all this (picture an I-Pad being moved around frequently so that I can't actually see anything and then dropped on the couch - yep - Highly successful Mom-Kid bonding), and was generally blown off because he was hungry and wanted to eat breakfast.

In fact, he was far more annoyed that his field trip to a classmate's farm was cancelled that day than he was that I was not physically present for his birthday. "I'll see you tomorrow, anyway, Mom, but I will NEVER EVER get to go on a field trip EVER AGAIN." OK, then.

I coped with the rejection by finding some spiffy Star Wars Disney characters (Jawas, if you care) in the gift shop to give to the boy so that he would like me again (I'm just being honest - no judging!). And, in a fit of optimism, I got him an autograph book. No fancy home-made ones, or even a "ordered while I sat at home and clicked on the right things to buy something on Etsy" for my guy, who may or may not actually deign to acknowledge a character on any given day - just a generic not-too-princessy-generic-overpriced-Disney one. I was hopeful, though, as we had a breakthrough with Elmo a few months before.

And, of course, I ended the Boy Birthday by another FaceTime session that night (more complaints about the cancelled field trip and requests to bring 47, 526 stuffies which were declined, which made me unpopular again) and then a phone call after the Boy's bedtime with DH, who humoured me as I painstakingly went through my lists/spreadsheets to make sure he knew what to do the next day. That's not annoying or anything. :crazy2:

(I will admit DH is a perfectly capable human being. Often more so than I am. That is not at all relevant to me, though, the night before a trip. )

I virtuously picked some sessions to attend on Saturday morning, and you can bet my bags were well and truly packed early on Friday night, so that I could beat a hasty retreat back to MCO as soon as I could possibly break free.

Which brings us to ...

Up next: The Men Arrive and the Hyatt MCO ... not quite on the ship yet.
Disney now offers Star Wars cruises....you might enjoy them. ALso- I love your reviews. I am one of those crazy DIsney lovers. But I review the same way you do. The story of it all is so much easier for people to picture.

Disney now offers Star Wars cruises....you might enjoy them. ALso- I love your reviews. I am one of those crazy DIsney lovers. But I review the same way you do. The story of it all is so much easier for people to picture.

Thanks! We do know about Star Wars but with it mainly being one day, on the same itinerary we did this year - it wasn't enough to book again. Plus, I'm told we're conflicted here at my house about the Disney-Star Wars marriage. I am opinion-less about Star Wars, but I'm in the minority on that front at home. :) We are watching the new parks story though... so that might actually get us to a park one day. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter