easiest park to use ECV in?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by sazzifrazz, Feb 10, 2013.

1. sazzifrazz

sazzifrazz Mouseketeer

My mom will be using a scooter for the first time on our upcoming trip. Im wondering which park would be a good start for us?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. TheoDawg

TheoDawg Mouseketeer

EPCOT-has wide walkways and a few hills.

4. Debbie Jean

Debbie Jean DIS Veteran

Agree. Definitely EPCOT.:thumbsup2

5. sazzifrazz

sazzifrazz Mouseketeer

I should be more clear. We arrive on Saturday late morning of the last weekend of food and wine festival. I was hoping to skip epcot until monday due to crazy crowds. We are staying at BCV. Maybe we should do DHS that first day?

6. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

If this is a first time for scooter use, Sat. at DHS will not be the easiest. In fact none of the other parks would be good on weekends either for first time users, with the exception of Epcot - like others this would be #1 park.

7. peemagg

peemagg <font color=blue>We are doing the AKL tri-fecta<br

Maybe the best idea would be to take a few hours at your resort to let Mom wheel around and get used to the scooter trying different things that might be asked of her. Things like tight corners, backing, parallel parking, stopping quickly, and how the scooter reacts at different speeds. This might be best before heading to the parks. If after doing these things Mom is now comfortable then head to park of choice.

8. sazzifrazz

sazzifrazz Mouseketeer

peemag I think thats probably the best idea. I don't foresee this scooter thing going well lol

9. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

Besides practicing, another thing to watch for -- as she gets fatigued her reflexes won't be quite as sharp, so toward the end of the day you may need to keep a wider buffer between the scooter and little kids who dart out in front of it.

10. I Love Pluto

I Love Pluto DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>I guess that make

Hollywood Studios is another park where ECV use is easier. It is mostly flat & very well ramped. You will find it quite accessible.

11. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

You don't say where you are staying, but I (having been in a VERY similar situation) would advise tooling around the resort for a good bit. If you are @ Crescent Lake you could also explore the Boardwalk area. SSR, POR-FR, CBR, CSR, OKW and more have spacious grounds with level sidewalks and wide walkways.

12. sazzifrazz

sazzifrazz Mouseketeer

we are staying at beach club villas so normally I would say Epcot but not on a saturday during food and wine

13. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

Epcot during food and wine is a terrible place for mobility devices. I vote for DHS or AK first.

I also second the idea of tooling around in a parking lot or on the boardwalk for a bit to get the feel of the machine.

14. snarlingcoyote

snarlingcoyote <font color=blue>I know people who live in really

I'm not the OP, but thanks for this advice. I'm taking my DB and his kids next Mardi Gras if I can convince DB to go - he'll have to have an ECV if he goes, and I'm not sure if he's ever used one before. (He dislikes admitting his handicap - unless it gets him better parking, LOL - even to the point where we all think his pride is going to kill him.)